2011 German GP team review
The HRT trucks arrived with subtle changes in the team’s logo visible: ‘Hispania Racing’ swapped for ‘HRT’.
Both drivers put up a fight against the Virgin cars but a technical failure robbed Vitantonio Liuzzi of a finish.
Daniel Ricciardo showed improved pace at the Nurburgring, leading Jerome D’Ambrosio for a chunk of the race.
|Daniel Ricciardo||Vitantonio Liuzzi|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’37.036 (+0.025)||1’37.011|
HRT drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Ricciardo showed encouraging signs of progress in qualifying, lapping just 0.025s slower than his team mate.
His race pace also looked stronger than it did at Silverstone – when Liuzzi retired Ricciardo was 16 seconds behind (he was 88 seconds behind at the flag at Silverstone).
Though unseen by the cameras, Ricciardo overtook Jerome d’Ambrosio on lap 12 as the pair were passed by Sergio Perez.
Despite his best lap being seven-tenths of a second slower than D’Ambrosio’s, Ricciardo kept the Virgin behind through their first pit stops until lap 40, when D’Ambrosio claimed the place back.
Ricciardo finished 19th, ahead of Karun Chandhok, but said afterwards he aimed to do better: “If I can make the same step from Silverstone for Hungary then it?óÔé¼Ôäós going to look more promising.”
Liuzzi was given a penalty for a gearbox change after qualifying.
He started the race well and was only a couple of seconds behind Timo Glock when his car failed: “A few laps into the race we started to suffer some problems with the brake balance and we lost quite a bit of pace.
“After the pit stop, with the tyre change, we recovered our strong pace until an unfortunate electronic issue forced us to retire.”
Drove Liuzzi’s car in first practice.
2011 German Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 German Grand Prix
- 2011 German Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your German GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Surprise win in Germany for Hamilton
- Red Bull: McLaren and Ferrari ahead in Germany
- Ferrari: Alonso beats Red Bulls despite cool weather
- Mercedes: Three-stopper costs Rosberg a place
- Force India: Sutil helps team overtake Toro Rosso
- Renault: Petrov dissatisfied with strategy
- Sauber: Kobayashi out in Q1 but claims points
Image ?é?® Motioncompany
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others