Karun Chandhok took over Jarno Trulli’s car at Lotus but endured a tough comeback.
|Heikki Kovalainen||Karun Chandhok|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’35.599 (-0.823)||1’36.422|
Lotus drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Without his usual team mate to race with Kovalainen had a lonely Grand Prix, finishing a lap behind Buemi and a lap ahead of the Virgins.
Chandhok made clear progress throughout his first race weekend in the cockpit since last year’s British Grand Prix. But he ended it some way off his team mate’s pace.
Having been 2.4s slower than Kovalainen in first practice he was within a second of his team mate in qualifying. “Tony [Fernandes] had said to me that if I could get within a second of Heikki he?óÔé¼Ôäód be proud,” said Chandhok, “and I finished about 0.8 off him so that?óÔé¼Ôäós a goal achieved.”
He had several spins during the weekend including during the race. Having started well he ran wide at turn four and fell to last place.
Chandhok kept pace with the Jerome d’Ambrosio-Daniel Ricciardo battle before having the first of two spins on lap nine.
He finished last, four laps down (despite Fernandes’ post-race remarks that he’d “finished the full 60 laps”) and two laps behind his team mate.
Chandhok said: “That?óÔé¼Ôäós a full race distance completed and an awful lot of learning under my belt.
“Honestly, that probably wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót the race I wanted – I had a couple of high speed spins and I think I need more time to get used to the tyres.
“When they start to go off there?óÔé¼Ôäós very little give compared to last year?óÔé¼Ôäós rubber, but that?óÔé¼Ôäós all part of the learning process and I?óÔé¼Ôäóm glad I got the car home and did the best job I could.”
Lotus have confirmed Trulli will be back in the car at the Hungaroring.
2011 German Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 German Grand Prix
- 2011 German Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your German GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Surprise win in Germany for Hamilton
- Red Bull: McLaren and Ferrari ahead in Germany
- Ferrari: Alonso beats Red Bulls despite cool weather
- Mercedes: Three-stopper costs Rosberg a place
- Force India: Sutil helps team overtake Toro Rosso
- Renault: Petrov dissatisfied with strategy
- Sauber: Kobayashi out in Q1 but claims points
Image ?é?® Team Lotus