The cool temperatures seemed to hurt Sauber but Kobayashi got back in the points at the Nurburgring.
|Kamui Kobayashi||Sergio Perez|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’33.786 (+0.491)||1’33.295|
Sauber drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Was eliminated in Q1 for the second time this year as Sauber tried to make a single run in the first part of qualifying.
He gained five places on the first lap, using the outside line at the first corner to good effect. Two laps later – unseen by the cameras – he passed Rubens Barrichello for 11th.
He was now within striking range of Jenson Button’s McLaren, which was being held up by Vitaly Petrov.
Kobayashi made his first pit stop on lap 20, jumping ahead of Petrov, who ran a long first stint. That and Button’s retirement elevated Kobayashi to ninth at the flag for his first points since Montreal.
Kobayashi credited the team’s strategy afterwards, saying: “The fact that we have scored points is down to a very good pit stop strategy, I want to thank the team for an excellent job.
“I was able to overtake both Williams during the race, but it was impossible to get Michael [Schumacher]. He was way too fast on the straights.”
Perez was “not at all happy” with his showing at the Nurburgring: “Given our grid positions we knew it would be difficult to get some points today, but, as Kamui, has shown it was possible.
“I am angry with myself because I made a mistake on lap eight. I went off and was on the grass.
“This was why I had to pit early and change tyres. This obviously was not what was planned in the strategy.”
From last on lap nine, Perez climbed to finish 11th.
2011 German Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 German Grand Prix
- 2011 German Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your German GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Surprise win in Germany for Hamilton
- Red Bull: McLaren and Ferrari ahead in Germany
- Ferrari: Alonso beats Red Bulls despite cool weather
- Mercedes: Three-stopper costs Rosberg a place
- Force India: Sutil helps team overtake Toro Rosso
- Renault: Petrov dissatisfied with strategy
- Sauber: Kobayashi out in Q1 but claims points
Image ?é?® Sauber F1 Team