2011 German GP team review
With two penalties and a wet set-up for a dry race, it was a poor weekend for Sebastian Buemi.
|Sebastien Buemi||Jaime Alguersuari|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’33.546 (-0.152)||1’33.698|
Toro Rosso drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Buemi had a frustrating weekend which began with a high-speed spin at the end of first practice. He didn’t set a time in second practice as his mechanics worked on a misfire on the car.
This was later blamed for the irregularity in his fuel sample which caused the stewards to delete his qualifying time. Buemi had out-qualified Alguersuari for the eighth time in ten races.
He worked his way past the stragglers at the start to hold 16th by lap five. But he was caught by Nick Heidfeld and pushed the Renault off the track on the run to the chicane as Heidfeld tried to pass.
The stewards handed down a grid penalty for the following race rather than penalise Buemi during the Grand Prix, perhaps to ensure the punishment carried some weight. Buemi’s race had been further compromised by a puncture incurred during the contact.
Buemi was unrepentant afterwards (“Heidfeld drove into me at the chicane”) and added that he had gambled on a wet weather set-up for the race which hadn’t paid off.
Alguersuari was another driver to complain of braking problems during the race.
His run of points finishes came to an end as he admitted “our pace was not as good as at Valencia or Silverstone”.
2011 German Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 German Grand Prix
- 2011 German Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your German GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Surprise win in Germany for Hamilton
- Red Bull: McLaren and Ferrari ahead in Germany
- Ferrari: Alonso beats Red Bulls despite cool weather
- Mercedes: Three-stopper costs Rosberg a place
- Force India: Sutil helps team overtake Toro Rosso
- Renault: Petrov dissatisfied with strategy
- Sauber: Kobayashi out in Q1 but claims points
Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others