Sauber retain Kobayashi and Perez for 2012

2012 F1 season

Peter Sauber, Kamui Kobayashi, Sergio Perez, Sauber C30 launch, Valencia, 2011

Peter Sauber, Kamui Kobayashi, Sergio Perez, Sauber C30 launch, Valencia, 2011

Sauber has confirmed Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez will remain with the team for 2012.

It will be Kobayashi’s third season with the team which he joined at the beginning of last year.

Peter Sauber said: “We are very pleased with our drivers.

“Kamui has grown into his role extremely well this year. Though it is only his second full Formula One season, he is already taking on the responsibilities that naturally fall to the more experienced driver in the team.

“We are delighted with him at both a sporting and a personal level. We had an option of working with him in 2012 and there was never any doubt that we would take it.

“Sergio has achieved more than one could expect from a rookie. From the very first race he proved that he is capable of driving not only fast but consistently as well.

“And after the accident in Monaco he demonstrated that he can handle difficult situations too. From the outset we had already signed a contract with Sergio that went beyond 2011. With a rookie that always entails a certain risk, of course, but clearly it has paid off.”

Kobayashi said he was “very proud” to remain with the team for another season.

“I want to thank Peter Sauber and Monisha Kaltenborn for putting their faith in me and the guys for all their work. In 2010 we had a very difficult season and some tough times. We managed to overcome this because we are a strong team.”

Perez said: “I want to thank Peter and Monisha that they trust me.

“Of course it is very good to have continuity and this way I can intensively prepare with my race engineer for what will be my second Formula 1 season. But for now I?m concentrating on finishing this season on a high. The summer break will be very good for me because since my accident in Monaco it has been a busy time.”

Esteban Gutierrez will continue as the team’s test and reserve driver.

See the full list of 2012 F1 drivers and teams

Image ?? Julien Leroy / Firstlap.be

81 comments on Sauber retain Kobayashi and Perez for 2012

1. Eggry (@eggry) said on 28th July 2011, 12:34

Sauber always surprise me how he is good at finding good rookies. as Keith said recent announcement shows top teams will retain current line up. so Sauber is not bad for Kobayashi and Perez. I think they usually made fair car. It’s not enough to get on the podium but some 4th or 5th is possible if some events happen.

2. Shimks said on 28th July 2011, 13:16

Red Bull should have grabbed Kobayashi. The drinks company may well have seen exponential growth in Japan (just a guess – I know nothing about the realities of the soft drinks markets). Goodness knows what Koba could do with that car! But I guess the top teams like it that there is a main driver and a second driver (WEB/MAS/BUT) not quite good enough to challenge the main driver – at least most of the time.

Personally, though, I am very pleased he’s staying at Sauber. Love Sauber! Love Koba!

3. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 28th July 2011, 14:19

Not really sure why people are ‘disappointed’ – as much as it would be nice, there was no chance in hell of Kamui moving up. There’s just no space.

• gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 28th July 2011, 15:13

yes, saddly.
      I was secretly hoping for M. Webber to retire, and see Mr Kobayashi in the Red-Bull :-)

• HounslowBusGarage (@hounslowbusgarage) said on 28th July 2011, 15:22

“There’s just no space.”
      And that’s what I find a bit disappointing. We seem to have three dominant teams with drivers locked in for at least another year, so that means that the upcoming drivers from ‘mid-field’ teams have no where to go. So unless a mid-field team finds significantly improved performance next year (or there is a crash or rain-induced disaster), we will probably see the next thirty GPs shared between six drivers.

• The New Pope said on 28th July 2011, 19:02

True, but as we know with Robert Kubica, racing is a dangerous and volatile career/lifestyle. Anything can happen one moment to the next, and what will be, will be.

• HounslowBusGarage (@hounslowbusgarage) said on 28th July 2011, 20:20

I will not contemplate a seat becoming available at one of the top three, or indeed any of the teams because of the serious injury or incapacity of one of the incumbents . . .
          And no, “what will be, will be” determinism doesn’t work for me either.

4. west (@west) said on 28th July 2011, 15:26

Keith was wrong to say that top teams will retain current line up. Want to say that lot of drivers line up will change in the four top teams, and lot of drivers contracts are not sorted out for next year.

5. west (@west) said on 28th July 2011, 15:45

Webber??????
    Hamilton?????
    Button??????? Massa?????? Rosberg????? plus Michael??????????? and more.

• Ral said on 28th July 2011, 16:32

I doubt Schumacher wants to drive anywhere else anymore and have to start from scratch yet again. If he leaves Mercedes, it’s because he stops driving. Which doesn’t seem likely.

Rosberg will stay. Because there’s nowhere to move up to.

Massa will try his hardest to stay. Because I don’t think either of the other two top teams will want his services. So there’s nowhere to move up to, or stay at the same level.

Webber will stay. Because I don’t think either of the other two top teams will want his services. So there’s nowhere to move up to, or stay at the same level.

Which means that:

Button will stay, because there’s nowhere to move up to, or stay at the same level.

Hamilton will stay, because there’s nowhere to move up to, or stay at the same level.

Which means that there’s no top seat for any up and coming drivers to promote into. Basically, Massa and Webber have the driver’s market for the top teams locked. If/when they move, the rest will start moving. But it doesn’t seem likely that will be at the end of this season.

6. daykind said on 28th July 2011, 16:15

I really wanted to see Perez come to Ferrari, but they’ll both be with the big boys in a few years.

7. west (@west) said on 28th July 2011, 17:07

Massa have no seat for ferrari next year look at his performes,so webber to ferrari or Rosberg and Di resta to mercedes there is a strong link with mercedes and diresta Michael has run out of gas his past the exparing date.

8. west (@west) said on 28th July 2011, 18:04

Peres needs more miles under his belt to get a ferrari seat

9. Simon said on 28th July 2011, 18:39

Personally I’d quite like to see Barrichello and Massa off the grid. An entirely biased opinion based purely on the fact that they don’t seem to be finding any joy in what they’re doing at the moment. They also seem to moan and complain an awful lot, which is strange because as an English teacher I’ve had loads of Brazilian students who are usually the friendliest and most upbeat people you could ever wish to meet.

10. The New Pope said on 28th July 2011, 19:04

2013 will probably be a year of much change.

11. John H said on 28th July 2011, 23:56

Surely the most likeable team in f1. This is good news :)

12. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 29th July 2011, 0:43

Kudos to Sauber for finding talent (back to the old days then) and keeping it, although with the top drives full, any move would’ve been sideways for the drivers. There’s also the possibility of Sauber coming up with a brilliant car out of nowhere. Don’t forget the BMW upgraded the facilities at Hinwil and James Key appears really talented.

I can see Perez being given another season before Ferrari make a decision about him and Massa. I don’t know about Kobayashi. MacLaren is full, and Red Bull and Mercedes generally prefer their own. I reckon he’ll have to sit tight and hold out for a miracle.

• F1 98 said on 29th July 2011, 3:04

He is kobayashi he’ll find a seat maybe Williams new staff
      New engine manafactors renault it has potenal

13. dpod (@dpod) said on 29th July 2011, 3:11

Quite a lot of hype for Kobayashi. Although I believe he is a solid driver I dont believe he is a Tier 1 driver yet. I remember seeing statistics comparing him with de la Rosa and even though the points revealed KOB as the better driver the qualifying and all practice results were very close with each driver in pretty much a stalemate. I know its the points that matter but I dismissed them since I didnt want reliability and accidents to skew the results too much. Just my opinion.

14. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 29th July 2011, 4:10

Great news for both of them.

15. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 29th July 2011, 17:40

Fantastic news. They couldn’t have justified anything else.