One of Volkswagen Group’s top executives has suggested the company could enter Formula 1 with one of its brands – but not until 2018.
Wolfgang D?‚??rheimer, the head of Volkswagen Group motorsport, told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, “I could imagine and F1 involvement in 2018, when the group is up front in the automotive industry.”
Volkswagen Group’s motor racing activity is split between different brands across a range of series, including Audi in the DTM and sports prototypes and Skoda in rallying.
The Volkswagen brand will also enter the World Rally Championship in 2013.
Volkswagen Group’s other brands include Bentley and Bugatti (which D?‚??rheimer is CEO of), Seat and Lamborghini.
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles