Volkswagen Group suggests F1 entry in 2018

2011 F1 season

Felipe Nasr, Carlin, British F3, Paul Ricard, 2011

Felipe Nasr, Carlin, British F3, Paul Ricard, 2011

One of Volkswagen Group’s top executives has suggested the company could enter Formula 1 with one of its brands – but not until 2018.

Wolfgang D?â??rheimer, the head of Volkswagen Group motorsport, told Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport, “I could imagine and F1 involvement in 2018, when the group is up front in the automotive industry.”

Volkswagen Group’s motor racing activity is split between different brands across a range of series, including Audi in the DTM and sports prototypes and Skoda in rallying.

The Volkswagen brand will also enter the World Rally Championship in 2013.

Volkswagen Group’s other brands include Bentley and Bugatti (which D?â??rheimer is CEO of), Seat and Lamborghini.

2011 F1 season

Browse all 2011 F1 season articles

64 comments on Volkswagen Group suggests F1 entry in 2018

1. shadow13 (@shadow13) said on 28th July 2011, 20:27

Personally if they do enter I think it would be great preferably as a complete team not an engine supplier. I think F1 needs to get back to having car companies in it. There is only Ferrari, Mclaren, Mercedes and Renault as car company owned teams. I know Lotus’ name is used for 2 teams but they don’t have a team in my opinion. One is Renault and one is Tony Fernandes’. I was pleased in the early 2000s when Jaguar, Renault and Toyota all entered. Personally I would prefer teams like this rather than Virgin, Red Bull, HRT and all the others. I would personally prefer VW to enter Lamborghini rather than Skoda or Audi.

2. Prof Kirk (@prof-kirk) said on 28th July 2011, 21:59

I believe Volkswagen will be taking over Alfa Romeo soon, another possible candidate for Volkswagens F1 entrance?

Although it does seem to be far too early to be discussing such matters.

3. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 28th July 2011, 23:53

Hardly surprising, but lovely to have it confirmed… I for one would love to see the Lamborghini name being used in F1, but I have a feeling VW are more likely to use Bentley…

Anyway, that’s VW saying they’re interested, these new engine regs may have worked! Who else is there? We’ve got Renault, Mercedes, Ferrari and Cosworth.. GM is the only one I can think of without going obscure… Is Cosworth part of GM??

4. maxthecat said on 28th July 2011, 23:58

The day VW enter F1 is the day it dies, it’s an elite sport for heaven sake, what’s next Skoda F1 Racing Team!

• F1 98 said on 29th July 2011, 2:54

What f1 will die or vw??

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 9th August 2011, 21:27

That would be great, the Winged Arrows racing team on the grid!

At least they have real racing heritage, be it rather in Rally sport than tracks, but its miles better then VW itelf.
      And the group would probably choose to bring in one of Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti.
      Not the worst perspective, I would think

5. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 29th July 2011, 4:03

If they do come then come with Lamborghini.2018 is a lone way back, I think the best will be with new regulation they should enter in 2014.

6. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 29th July 2011, 5:09

Thinking of Bugatti’s history as a Grand Prix team right now. So why not bring them back to motorsports?

7. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 29th July 2011, 8:12

Depressing to think I’ll be 30 if/when this happens!

Good news though. Variety being the spice of life and all that.

8. Palle (@palle) said on 30th July 2011, 0:54

A Beetle F1, ha ha.
    VW Beetle design was more or less stolen from a Czech factory before WWII and VW had to pay after the war.
    Now in their commercials – at least here in Denmark, they try to tell us, that “Everyone deserves a VW!”
    What have I done to deserve a mediocre front wheel pulled means of transportation like that?
    Luckily times have changed since WWII, so I don’t have to drive a VW.
    Car manufacturers don’t last long in F1, – BMW had ambitions to win, after which they would have withdrawn. When they realized it would take too long or the win was not within their reach, they pulled out. VW is probably even worse – at least BMW had a history in F1 from the 80ties also.

9. Solo (@solo) said on 30th July 2011, 11:54

It sound like they are waiting for Bernie to die before entering F1. That’s why they seemed to have intentions to enter the last few years but always backed-off. They never thought Bernie will be this healthy but they are hopeful that by 2018 his time will finally come.