Sky and BBC to share UK F1 coverage from 2012

2012 F1 season

Start, Silverstone, 2011

Start, Silverstone, 2011

The BBC will no longer show every round of the F1 season live, starting next year.

Under a new deal announced today the BBC will share coverage with Sky from 2012 to 2018.

Sky will show every race live. The BBC will only screen around half the season’s races including the British and Monaco Grands Prix, plus the season finale.

Sky will show all the practice and qualifying sessions live as well, while the BBC will only show practice and qualifying sessions for certain races.

BBC Sport director Barbara Slater said: “We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

“The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a ten-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

“With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers.”

Barney Francis, the managing director of Sky Sports, said: “This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

“We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television.”

Sky passed a target of achieving ten million customers in the UK last November, however many of these will not have the Sky Sports package.

Are you happy with the new arrangement? Will this change how you watch F1 next year? Have your say in the comments.

F1 on television

Image ?? Pirelli/LAT

443 comments on Sky and BBC to share UK F1 coverage from 2012

1 14 15 16 17 18 21
  1. th13teen said on 29th July 2011, 18:34

is there anyway of streaming the races live next year online, free of charge? if so what websites are they?
    I don’t mind WATCHING the race in any way shape or form, but I am not going to only listen to it or not watch it at all and I am certainly not paying an extra £20 a month for sky sports!

2. Bogget said on 29th July 2011, 18:39

So the BBC has stuffed us and lost F1, what a disaster it means we will now not see most races, why has Eccalstone allowed this, does he not like the fans does he not think we are important? I dont have SKY and will NEVER have SKY, i dont watch any other sport so sky is on no use top me what options do i now have? Why would F1 do this to loyal fans, i cant believe how they would do this to us?

Bogget

3. Rich said on 29th July 2011, 18:46

Talk about selling out loyal fans! Shame on you Bernie! Goodbye F1, hello motoGP. It’ll be a cold day in hell when i hand over my hard earned cash to Murddock.

4. Have followed F1 since Jim Clark days and have enjoyed the BBC coverage in recent years but I feel this is blackmailing the customer into paying for a service he/she would have no other use for. I will not be paying extra to watch Sky and certainly will not tune in to BBC on a Sunday afternoon just to watch even more repeats.
    Very bad decision BBC.

5. I agree with Alex. I am sure there are other ways of saving money. At this rate Sky will have exclusive rights to broadcast all major sports, it is the thin edge of the wedge. I will not join Sky and will lose interest in watching F1, which is a pity as it has taken me long enough to really get into the sport!

6. Neil said on 29th July 2011, 19:34

As a small child I raced my dinky Alfa Romeo racing cars down the school playground. Fifty five years later I shed a tear for the slow death of F1. Shame on you Bernie. shame on you FOTA for allowing this pact with the Devil. I have sky at the moment but after the disgusting behaviour of the News international no more.

7. enfurnoh said on 29th July 2011, 19:43

I am a Sky subscriber but am soooo not going to get Sports just to see F1. It’s a sad sad day for F1.

8. Evan said on 29th July 2011, 20:08

Im a 12 year old kid and really want to watch F1 but because of the recession my family will struggle to even pay our basic chorus never mind the 23 euros for sky sports.I fear the worst for F1 and many people who wont be able to afford sky sports

9. Allan said on 29th July 2011, 20:08

soon there will not be any sport free to view. F1 is one of my favourites I do not have sky and I have no intentions on getting it. BBC think again

10. Ovalrocker said on 29th July 2011, 20:11

The UK has one of the biggest motor sport fan bases in the world. So I think this is a very bad move by the BBC, all in the name of saving money. I wonder why I pay my licence fee sometimes. So I will not be upgrading to sky and I can’t stand watching highlights. If it was the full race but at a different but sensible time (not 2am for example) that would ok, but not ideal.

11. mrtin121 said on 29th July 2011, 21:21

I have watched f1 for 20 years and i believed that it was one of the true sports that was built by the fans and stood by the fans. I can only hope that this greedy selfish money motivated move will reduce the viewing population so much that it forces the teams to do something about it. i would be very surprised if the sky team are as passionate or knowledgable as the current b.b.c team , i agree with everyone , a sad sad day for f1 and sport. I would be more than happy to put my name to any petition.i will NOT be paying sky for coverage and the lack of f1 will leave a big hole in my heart. :(

12. Vince said on 29th July 2011, 21:42

Why does anyone pay for Sky? They have ruined Football, not that I am to bothered about that. But now they want to ruin F1. We already pay for tv in this country why do we have to pay a premium to watch F1. The Beeb should get rid of some of htere over paid execs and put sport back where it should be with access to all.

13. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 29th July 2011, 22:06

this is pathetic !

only gunna watch the bbc races and highlights.

14. Jeffrey Powell said on 29th July 2011, 22:13

It may not be accurate but my attitude towards anything on Sky Sports is the same as my attitude towards Cheap Sea side fun rides what a disaster for F1.

1 14 15 16 17 18 21