Sky and BBC to share UK F1 coverage from 2012

2012 F1 season

Start, Silverstone, 2011

Start, Silverstone, 2011

The BBC will no longer show every round of the F1 season live, starting next year.

Under a new deal announced today the BBC will share coverage with Sky from 2012 to 2018.

Sky will show every race live. The BBC will only screen around half the season’s races including the British and Monaco Grands Prix, plus the season finale.

Sky will show all the practice and qualifying sessions live as well, while the BBC will only show practice and qualifying sessions for certain races.

BBC Sport director Barbara Slater said: “We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

“The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a ten-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

“With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers.”

Barney Francis, the managing director of Sky Sports, said: “This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

“We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television.”

Sky passed a target of achieving ten million customers in the UK last November, however many of these will not have the Sky Sports package.

Are you happy with the new arrangement? Will this change how you watch F1 next year? Have your say in the comments.

F1 on television

Image ?? Pirelli/LAT

443 comments on Sky and BBC to share UK F1 coverage from 2012

1. Well I wont be paying for a TV license next year then!

2. Menno555 said on 1st August 2011, 9:18

Some e-mail addresses to write to about this BBC/Sky sell out: http://saveformula1.com/organisations-to-write-to/

And here a template letter for those who want to use that for the addresses: http://saveformula1.com/2011/07/29/template-letter-to-save-formula-1/

3. Mike Hammond said on 1st August 2011, 15:41

To my knowledge, no-one ever had to pay to watch a race before, shame on you BBC

4. Worst deal for the ordinary fans ever, the BBC must be demented if they think that this is a good deals for F1 fans, £470 to watch 10 races live on SKY, not a chance.

The BBC have made a huge mistake, but have tried to bury it in the 4 week off period for F1, they are not reporting it on their News programmes or the F1 site, shameful censorship, they have the cheek to call them selves a public broadcaster but won’t respond, report or justify their actions properly!

5. Doug Hession said on 3rd August 2011, 1:00

I don’t watch football but if I did I would not be happy if they only showed the first half of the game.
    We have been rucked.
    BBC, if you can’t afford to do it right don’t do it at all.
    You will now wast millions of pounds of licence payers money by paying for scratty bits of F1 that no one will bother watching.
    Don’t you get it your deal is no good. In fact it’s worse than no good.
    Your hilights will be after the news (including BBC) has given out the results. Unlike football motor racing never gets that warning (If you don’t want to know the results look away now).
    Get the money back (Our money) and cover Australian V8 super cars.
    Propper sport no gread no Bernie and great to view.
    Until you do, Thank you for freeing up my weekends, for 2012.
    Cheers, Disapointed, Disgruntled, Doug.

6. HELEN said on 5th August 2011, 19:11

I have been watching F1 since the Damon Hill years but 2011 will be my last year. I will not be subscribing to Sky Sports and do not want to watch a select few races on the BBC.

7. The world has gone completely mad and orientated solely toward PROFIT. This removal of F1 from free to air TV is yet another demonstration of the divide between rich and poor. Obviously Bernie and the F1 management only want the wealthy to follow the sport in the future. It is a sad day when the working class are no longer able to follow a favourite sport without being extorted for the pleasure. I will not pay for Sky simply to watch the racing and therefore I will be force to simply stop following the sport.

8. Chris said on 13th August 2011, 20:20

I will never pay Sky for anything, ever. Goodbye F1 and good riddance to Bernie Ecclestone, the man who has ruined Formula One for the great British public.

9. coatesykid said on 15th August 2011, 23:14

one word on-line streaming

10. Can pay, but won’t give honest money to a bent outfit. Sky broadcast 99.999% carp anyway. A sad loss.

11. Nick G said on 3rd September 2011, 18:01

When will Government bodies in the UK realise that we, the voting public, have had enough of their thieving? Not only do we have to pay them for a TV licence, we get no control over what they do. I have been shafted yet again ! As a regular attendee at F1 races and committed TV viewer, when do I, and others get ‘a fair return for the money that is stolen from us’? If they think I am going to pay to watch F1 then they just lost a 20 year fan. BRING BACK ITV COVERAGE. They actually know how to provide entertainment without ripping off the viewer. BBC now form an alliance with a broadcaster that airs advertisements, I thought the ‘Good Old Beeb (yeah right) were anti advertising’ thats why we pay for a TV licence. Hypocrisy Rules OK?

12. Sean Sutton said on 8th September 2011, 14:07

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Bernie Ecclestone has done it again and so have the BBC. They’ve completely hung the British public out to dry. I mean, I can understand why the BBC had to do it, but the manner in which they did it is just inexcusable. They could have at least waited until 2014, which is when their original contract to show Formula 1 ran out, so then it would have been understandable. But in some instances, I don’t see what the fuss is about. Formula 1 isn’t the most popular sport in this country, whereas stuff such as Wimbledon, the football World Cup, the Euro Championships, all forms of rugby, the Olympics and golf are (which incidentally all MUST remain free to air), because it’s much easier to pick up a golf club and feel like Rory McIlroy than to get in a Formula 1 car and feel like Sebastian Vettel. It was always going to be a monumental and heart-wrenching decision as to what they were going to cut and unfortunately, for common F1 fans such as us, we are going to be missing out on the sport we love.

Thanks BBC. Because of this, F1 isn’t dead. Formula 1 is dying and in 2018, you may as well just give up not just F1 but all of your sport and continue with what we don’t want to see.

• No Disrespect Sean

But if this bunch of thieving muppets can sell out F1 (which as you are sadly mistaken, is indeed a very popular sport to watch) How long do you think it will take the thieving muppets to sell out out your Football, Wimbledon and others, to make a quick quid? Get a serious aspect of view on this, they won’t advertise, they spend ridiculous amounts of licence payers money on crap and expenses, they then sell us all out because they really need the revenue from advertising. Are the BEEB going to stop cars running with ‘sponsor names’ in F1, or indeed blank all advertising in all other sports?

You know, as we all do, that we are being shafted by greedy sods, whom are also hypocrites.

Wake up before you have to start your own blog line for the ‘more popular sports’ you profess !!!

13. I agree. I’m not willing to pay for Sky, and so if I can’t follow my favorite sport properly, then I will not follow it at all
    Time for Bernie to retire and leave it to poeple who think with both parts of the brain.
    Also notice comentators are not saying anything.
    Have they been silenced?

14. It is the biggest mistake that they have ever made going to sky rather bbc i have been watching the f1 since i was little and i am very dissapointed they will definitely loose a lot of fans

15. Just a thought, although writing on here is very important for making our blood boil, would it not be good to start right now, writing to the big sponsors. Letting them know how many TV screens will no longer be showing there banners and logo’s at prime time each weekend.
    Maybe then it will give us financial clout.
    If they are bombarded with emails they may realize sponsoring F1 with no viewers is not a good idea.
    All they need to do if get free to air coverage be it BBC or ITV
    I don’t, and wont, want to pay for a sports package when I only watch F1.
    I can not afford to follow F1 around the world but I can afford a mobile, So I think I will start by complaining to Vodafone that’s a good sponsor to start with. If we all do this it’s possible we can save our sporting enjoyment.
    Probably the next thing would be for F1 to get better representation.