Sky and BBC to share UK F1 coverage from 2012

2012 F1 season

Start, Silverstone, 2011

Start, Silverstone, 2011

The BBC will no longer show every round of the F1 season live, starting next year.

Under a new deal announced today the BBC will share coverage with Sky from 2012 to 2018.

Sky will show every race live. The BBC will only screen around half the season’s races including the British and Monaco Grands Prix, plus the season finale.

Sky will show all the practice and qualifying sessions live as well, while the BBC will only show practice and qualifying sessions for certain races.

BBC Sport director Barbara Slater said: “We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

“The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a ten-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

“With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers.”

“We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television.”

Sky passed a target of achieving ten million customers in the UK last November, however many of these will not have the Sky Sports package.

Are you happy with the new arrangement? Will this change how you watch F1 next year? Have your say in the comments.

F1 on television

Image ?? Pirelli/LAT

443 comments on Sky and BBC to share UK F1 coverage from 2012

1. I started to marshal in 1969 and did this for over 34 years for the BRSCC. Mainly flags. Since retiring I have continued to watch and record every race. I have recordings for the last 20 years. Last year the BBC changed channels from BBC1 to BBC2 for the European GP and on the following Wed I settled down to watch the race – I didn’t know the result – and all I got was football. The BBC was not interested in providing me with a copy of the race and Ofcom couldn’t care less!
    Now the BBC has sold us out! I will not go to Sky! I will not watch motor racing anymore! Why should I be dictated to seeing only what the BBC want me to see? It is disgusting that the fans of the home of motor sport can no longer have access to the sport without paying extra!
    Everyone that supports this initiative from Bernie down, the BBC, the Teams, Uncle Tom Cobley and all, should be thoroughly ashamed…

2. I have to be honest, I will probably considering finding an online ‘stream’ somewhere next season. We have sky – everything but sports and it just isn’t worth paying another £15 on top for no bloody reason.

3. Barney Francis, the managing director of Sky Sports, said: “This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.
    Whatttt????? Why would this be good news for us fans? I love F1, the only sport i followed sence i can remember. For over three decades, & now i have to start paying for it because rich people want to make more money. £$&%$£$%”£$”^$%$£%$£”^%”$”^” WERRRY NOT HAPPY!!!!

4. dave l said on 7th October 2011, 9:41

Why on earth are we paying for a tv licence,this decision is the worst,i certainly wont be paying sky.

5. Mark Thomson confirm only 75 min edited highlight package next year.

no good enough Mark.

6. and he has the balls to claim that he is a F1 fan.

7. brian said on 9th October 2011, 8:31

get a motorised dish watch for free. .up —– murdock.

8. Barry Darnell said on 9th October 2011, 12:56

Such a shame. Losing Martin Brundle and David Coulthard and the team is terrible news. The BBC have made some strange decisions of late, with the supposed object of saving money, well, the futile project of moving to Manchester has hit the right note,Eh?
    I’m a Virgin customer but will never in my life subscribe to Sky and the advert channel. What a disaster for the loyal F1 fans.

9. its simple really love f1 really do but wont be paying sky to watch it its madness to think every fi fan in this country can afford the over priced channels sky want you to pay and as for the bbc to even think about going in to ppartnership with them i fear there is worse to com rip f1

10. Darren Gibson said on 2nd November 2011, 22:00

I’ve been hanging on to this season, (which is pretty tied up now) and had my head stuck in the sand over the 2012 coverage. So tonight, I looked forward… Having followed the path from ITV to BBC, I checked out the next platform – Sky!

Seriously guttttted at the prices to upgrade my Virgin XL package to include Sky Sports – as F1 is my only sporting vice; I’ve never needed to buy a sports package before.

As I spluttered at the cost, I remembered why I left Sky as soon as I moved to a cable area! The assistant at Virgin customer services could only apologise saying that Sky set the costs…. well does it matter who sets the ££’s? …that’s the end of my F1 season long viewing, I’m not sure that watching 12 races live will keep the passion in it for me….

A bonus for Sky? In fact, when most of the ‘sport chat’ at work starts up and the sky/football fans are in full flow – When I comment that I like to watch 4 wheels in the hands of a world class professionals at the weekend instead of a ball being knocked around by a bunch of world class failures – most just shrug and are NOT F1 fans… I get plenty of other non repeatable abuse too  but taking the fun out of the comment, I don’t personally know any Sky Sport subscribers that are going to be enriched by the addition of F1 and very few F1 fans seem to be delighted at the thought of paying extra for Sky!

No winners here for me. Death of a sporting spectacle!

11. Ashwin Raja (@ashwinraja8-2) said on 13th November 2011, 12:50

No problem for Indian viewers. Most of the major sports including F1 are broadcast on ESPN/Star Sports, and for most satellite television services, all the channels (which are about 200 in total) cost about 500 Rupees per month which is approximately 7-8 pounds. Really cheap Id say to what you guys have there in the UK. Pity you!

12. I was already losing interest with the Vettel dominance, so next year I am switching off. Bye Bye F1

13. Stevo said on 13th January 2012, 23:04

Hope it was worth it Mr E?
    40 years and F1 fan!…..
    One less now, and many more to follow!
    Thanks for the memories…..

14. andy.price (@andy-price) said on 24th January 2012, 13:22

I have given in and signed up to Sky! I have been an F1 fan for almost 50 years and more recently it has been almost obsessive. I love the BBC coverage – it gave me everything I wanted (who cares about HD).

I have been to two GP’s each year for the last three years (5 of the 6 year overseas) and that has cost a small fortune. The atmosphere and experience is hard to describe but you do have to watch the TV coverage later to see the bits you miss at the circuit.

I was very unhappy about the loss of FTA but as I now know the BBC could not afford to continue at all without the shared deal. I live in a very old house which is listed and there are all sorts of restrictions about things like satellite dishes and I thought for years that I could not have a dish where it would comply with the restrictions and get a signal.

I found out that I could get a dish installed (by private contractor) and my wife agreed pay the £280 for Xmas. I think she was fed up muttering about not being able to see all of the races live!

After much research and thought I signed up to Sky including broadband and phone – that has saved me £15 on the package we had. My phone contract was up so I renewed elsewhere have stuck with my two year old iPhone (which still works great) and have similar terms for £22.50 a month less. I decided on having the Sky sports package which will include F1 but I now also have live NFL and cricket – win for me. The additional TV channels which we have had for a month now are good.

So I now have better broadband & TV coverage etc and it is only costing me an extra £30 a month. But I can still view whatever parts of both Sky and BBC coverage that I choose. This year I will only go to one race (possibly Silverstone) so I will actually be financially better off this year.

I wish it was FTA but it’s not and I love F1 so this is the way I chose to go and I am lucky to be able to afford it.

And I have F1fanatic!!!