Sky and BBC to share UK F1 coverage from 2012

2012 F1 season

Start, Silverstone, 2011

Start, Silverstone, 2011

The BBC will no longer show every round of the F1 season live, starting next year.

Under a new deal announced today the BBC will share coverage with Sky from 2012 to 2018.

Sky will show every race live. The BBC will only screen around half the season’s races including the British and Monaco Grands Prix, plus the season finale.

Sky will show all the practice and qualifying sessions live as well, while the BBC will only show practice and qualifying sessions for certain races.

BBC Sport director Barbara Slater said: “We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

“The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a ten-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

“With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers.”

Barney Francis, the managing director of Sky Sports, said: “This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

“We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television.”

Sky passed a target of achieving ten million customers in the UK last November, however many of these will not have the Sky Sports package.

Are you happy with the new arrangement? Will this change how you watch F1 next year? Have your say in the comments.

F1 on television

Image ?? Pirelli/LAT

443 comments on Sky and BBC to share UK F1 coverage from 2012

1 3 4 5 6 7 16
  1. Nick said on 29th July 2011, 8:48

So what will this mean for viewers outside of the UK? Like Australian viewers? I’m not getting SKY by being forced into some ******** Pay-TV package like Austar or Foxtel. I can’t afford that! Looks like I’ll be forced into watching the race live on ONE HD (yay, lag!) or will that fail aswell?

FAIL BBC. FAIL.

2. Jeff harland-jones said on 29th July 2011, 8:52

A very bad day for F1
    To now have to pay to watch F1 and yet again have to line the pockets Rupeet Murdoch!!!!
    a sport that has been available to everyone will now only be available to those who can afford it.
    How soon we forget what the Murdoch empire has done to this country

3. Dougy_D said on 29th July 2011, 8:54

Jake sounding very p’ed off by this decision on Radio 1

4. Steve said on 29th July 2011, 8:55

RIP F1
    I guess i’ll just have my memory and be able to tell my children what watching a ‘live’ race used to be like.

How very very wrong is this. I’m afraid i’ll be voting with my feet, can’t afford SKYs high price, given F1 is the only sport I want to watch Live.

RIP F1

5. John Morrey said on 29th July 2011, 8:55

Massively dissapointing news – F1 on Sky is a big mistake and as someone who refuses to have Sky in my house this marks the end of my interest in F1.

Whats the betting they will wheel out the motoring equivalent of an **** like Andy Grey. ********.

6. tim said on 29th July 2011, 8:56

So much for watching F1. I will not be paying for Sky so I will not watch F1 which I have done for years and years. Thanks Bernie. Sold out again.

7. Bobby said on 29th July 2011, 8:58

I won’t be getting Sky, I’ll either go to the pub or find a stream online. Not giving Sky a penny.

8. Ian Dalby said on 29th July 2011, 8:59

BTCC anyone? – Its free…..

9. Ian Dalby said on 29th July 2011, 9:01

Seriously – a bad day for F1 – The multi millionaire Eccleston totally out of touch with the punters. How about a reduction in the licence fee?

10. Rob2 said on 29th July 2011, 9:01

As long as this only effects the UK viewers, I’m fine with it.

11. Gavin said on 29th July 2011, 9:03

This is the WORST & STUPIDEST commercial decision F1 has ever made.

Absolutely gutted. BBC coverage is outstanding….

Oh well Sky can shove it. I’ll be using Vuze and d/l all the races BBC can’t televise. You won’t see a penny from me SKY.

Praying FOTA can legally block the deal.

12. Shane said on 29th July 2011, 9:03

We have to pay for it anyway in New Zealand anyway so no skin off my nose in that regard. We do get the BBC commentary though, and I don’t want that to change. That’s what bothers me.

13. sebsronnie said on 29th July 2011, 9:05

I feel sorry for you UK folks. However, do spare a thought for the likes of me. As an F1 fanatic living in Uganda though, I have to pay the grand sum of US $78 (£48) per month to enjoy F1 – it is only available via subscription TV and you must pay for the most expensive bundle if you want F1. And this has been the case for as far back as I can remember (cost has risen by about $6 over the past few years)

14. harry the bad said on 29th July 2011, 9:05

sky are not to blame but the greedy owners running F1 but i also do not like the fact that sky try to force people to get sky in this way just so they can continue to watch a sport that they love to watch..so no sky for me and i may not follow any more races as its not the same seeing only half of a seasons racing. the bbc may as well dump the lot as they are very sad losers in what they are doing. feeling half happy is as bad as feeling half sad.

15. Stephen C said on 29th July 2011, 9:05

Absolutely appalled by this news. Sky will never have my hard earned money no matter what. As a fan of F1 for over 30 years I cannot believe my favourite sport will be killed off by greed. If this is the way sport is to be viewed in the future and I feel this is the first step to kill all sport the UK public love, I can only see dark clouds on the horizon.

Sky has stopped many many people from watching football in the past and used this love of our national sport to gain more and more profits. The rich get richer and the rest of us just sit and ponder.

Viva la Revolution

16. Chalky said on 29th July 2011, 9:07

At the height of a great season with plenty of passing, it probably looks a great win / win deal for both parties as viewing figures will be high.
    However, what happens when a dull season returns and only die hard F1 fans watch?

I feel angry at this decision. So much for free to air.
    How are we to keep up with the ebbs and flow of a season if we cannot follow successive races?

I know already, I cannot afford to spend a monthly fee on Sky Sports. I have a family, that must come first.
    Sky will cost me nearly £300 per year on top of my TV license.

Fans hear struggle to save money for a trip to the British GP each year, so to squeeze £300 for 50% more TV race coverage is appalling.
    …and if you are only watching half a season, do you really find the interest to go to a GP?

Shame on you Bernie. Shame on the teams allowing it.
    F1 really has become a rich mans sport.

17. Pauls said on 29th July 2011, 9:09

I have been a fan of F1 for over 25 years and have always enjoyed watching it on free to air TV. I have just read with total disbelief that the BBC has let half the F1 go to Sky for which I will have to pay over £35 per month to watch 8 race. I for one will stop watching F1 altogether if this deal is allowed to continue. I can not believe that a BBC spokes person thinks this is a good deal for the BBC and its viewers, how can only showing half of a sport be good for the viewers. I assume you will only be showing half the Olympics nest year as well !!!

18. Pauls said on 29th July 2011, 9:10

I have been a fan of F1 for over 25 years and have always enjoyed watching it on free to air TV. I have just read with total disbelief that the BBC has let half the F1 go to Sky for which I will have to pay over £35 per month to watch 8 race. I for one will stop watching F1 altogether if this deal is allowed to continue. I can not believe that a BBC spokes person thinks this is a good deal for the BBC and its viewers, how can only showing half of a sport be good for the viewers. I assume you will only be showing half the Olympics next year as well !!!

19. Colin said on 29th July 2011, 9:12

I will not pay for sky sports just so I can watch f1 this is the only sport I watch and am not paying for sports I am not interested in. BBC coverage was and is always the best I was pleased when it left itv and went back to BBC. This is a big mistake and bernie needs to look at what he is doing

20. I haven’t seen anyone use the F-word yet – freesat

I’m a freesat user. I have no need for Sky (I had it for 12 months as couldn’t receive freeview but only watched FTA/terrestrial channels so switched to freesat)

The BBC have massively let us down by losing coverage to Sky. £610 for me to keep my HD F1 coverage next year?! FFS. I would’ve happily bunged the BBC an extra £5/mo to keep the coverage – but I’m not funding Murdoch to the tune of £50/mo.

F1 fans are *not* football fans who already have Sky Sports.

Absolutely ridiculous and outrageous. I feel the need for a strongly worded letter to my MP!

1 3 4 5 6 7 16