Sky to show F1 races without adverts in 2012

2012 F1 season

Start, Valencia, 2011

Start, Valencia, 2011

Sky has confirmed its F1 race coverage will be free of adverts when it begins in 2012.

A spokesperson told F1 Fanatic: “There won’t be any ad breaks. Every second of every race will be live and uninterrupted.

“It will be the only place to watch every race live.”

Sky’s plans are at an early stage having just announced the deal, and decisions are yet to be taken on who will be involved in its coverage.

While Sky has begun broadcasting some sports in 3D the spokesperson said it was “way too early to say” whether this could also be used for F1 – which has only made its debut in HD this year.

The spokesperson said the price of a Sky subcription would not increase before September 2012 and added: “We’ll give it the full Sky Sports treatment: it will be on Sky Sports News, Sky Sports dot com, across mobile and online.”

BBC/Sky F1 2012 deal

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

235 comments on Sky to show F1 races without adverts in 2012

1. Amy said on 29th July 2011, 12:46

I know, this sucks! I own a pub and the TV comes in through the pub rather than our flat which means Sky would cost up in the region of £6000 a year as they never believe I’m not going to show it in the pub.
    What about Top Up TV? I’m loathe to give Sky ANY money but at £19.99 a month it is slightly better.

2. Gwion Daniel said on 29th July 2011, 12:48

£48 per race is a astonishingly poor value. As previously mentioned, football fans have much better value due to the very high number of games shown.

3. paul said on 29th July 2011, 12:48

another case of punish the poor who cannot afford sky’s extortionate costs. there will be a huge surge of die hard fans signing up to sky for next year but if the coverage is rubbish then even they will turn away from it. I for one can’t afford sky as I am sure allot of people can’t. what really makes me angry is the fact BBC are keeping all the middle class sports like tennis olympics etc. good to know that we will have coverage of the olympic tourches 70 day journey and 24 coverage of the games but only 10 F1 races and then none in 2013. we all need to boycot the licence fee as its a waste of money. maybe then the bbc and the government will get the message and let bbc go it alone.

4. Luke said on 29th July 2011, 12:53

I mentioned earlier that the beeb never used to show all the races live (in the first period of regular coverage ’79 – ’96). Does anyone remember (or have a list) of the races they did show live from ’79 – ’96?

5. antonyob said on 29th July 2011, 13:00

Ive watched F1 since 1979 and from memory all were shown live. Youd get no quallifying coverage, just a card showing the top 6 inbetween a “top” rugby league match on Grand Stand. Race coverage would start about 1 minute before the start and finish as they went through the chequered flag. Theyd then quickly cut back to European ice skating from Gstad or something.

As for the coverage, it really was a joke, youd get a long lense lazily following the wrong car and the producer would invariably cut to De Cesaris ambling along in 27th whilst the dice of the century was going on elsewhere.

Whatever the wrongs and the rights of the deal. Youve never had it so good.

• Luke said on 29th July 2011, 13:06

I remember Brazil ’93 & 94 were not shown live also Japan & Australia in ’93. I started watching in ’92 so don’t know about before then…

6. Luke said on 29th July 2011, 13:04

Trying to figure out the races the beeb won’t show live:

Early starts:
    Australia
    Malaysia
    China
    India
    Japan
    Korea
    Bahrain

Clashes with prime-time programming:
    Canada

Clashes with the Olympics:
    Hungary

Thats only 9… USA would be another prime-time clash but then it’s the penultimate race so that wouldn’t be cool…

• Jim said on 29th July 2011, 13:20

I imagine they might not show races that take place while Wimbledon is on to avoid scheduling conflicts.

• Luke said on 29th July 2011, 13:36

True, Figure these as the races they’ll show live then:

Round 5: 13 May, Spanish GP

Round 13: 9 September, Italian GP
          Round 14: 23 September, Singapore GP
          Round 17: 28 October, Abu Dhabi GP
          Round 19: 18 November, US GP
          Round 20: 25 November, Brazilian GP

• wigster (@wigster) said on 29th July 2011, 15:38

I hope not! I for one would like to see at least one or hopefully two of the early season Asian races, Australia, Malaysia or China. I quite like the specialness of getting up at 3am to watch the first Friday practice sessions and race of the season.

Plus having races more spread out during the season would give the BBC a better narrative to their coverage rather then missing the first chunk of the season.

However your point about choosing the most prestigious races and others that don’t clash with other events is valid. Also sending a crew to the Spanish grand prix is probably a lot cheaper then the Malaysian grand prix!

Having said all that I wouldn’t want to sacrifice seeing any of the races on your list!

• OldEarl said on 30th July 2011, 22:29

Obviously not an F1 fan mmmm !!!

• LE Greys said on 29th July 2011, 14:03

If you’re right, we’ll keep Monaco, Britain, Belgium and Italy. I hope so!

7. James said on 29th July 2011, 13:08

There’s no way I’m paying for a SkySports subscription just to watch F1, don’t get me wrong I’m a loyal fan, but I just can’t justify spending an extra £500-600 a year on television.

8. Bongofury said on 29th July 2011, 13:28

I currently have a basic Sky package but will not be paying £600+ on top of what I already pay just to watch 10 races per year. Watching half a season does not interest me, so its bye bye F1 and I’ll do something else with 4 hours of my time on a Sunday.

I have been watching F1 since the 80s so this is a gut wrenching decision, but I am not subsidising football by paying for F1.

I really hope we hear from FOTA about this as decisions can be overturned – as was proved with Donington.

• Simon P said on 29th July 2011, 13:40

If you have a basic Sky package already adding Sky Sports is £243.

It’s £600+ plus if you don’t already have Sky and you take a basic package with Sports and HD.

9. Are we supposed to be grateful that paying nearly half a grand a year we get races without ad breaks? Gee thanks.

The worst thing about all of this is that it was always going to happen at some point. Everything is eventually sliding onto Sky and coming with a massive price tag attached. I understand and accept that it’s fair enough that Sky wanted it, the BBC clearly didn’t want F1 that much and done deal and this is sort of a compromise. What I hate though is that this is just the beginning and soon enough we’ll be paying for every session. I saw some arguments that it’s natural that luxuries have to be paid for but why? It may be a product of the times but it doesn’t make the notion that only the wealthy can afford to be F1 fanatics any easier to swallow. When I read comments from people such as Tommy who I know is a diehard F1 fan that paying for F1 will be impossible it’s just such a sorry state.

We’ve had it really, really good in the UK and I’m not denying that but any suggestion that we’ve got nothing to complain about is completely absurd. We’ve had it good but that doesn’t make this right. If other country’s don’t invest then that’s a really sorry state but the idea of “well we get this amount of coverage so it’s still a good deal” isn’t fair. Two wrongs don’t make a right.

I’ve been a true Bernie believer for years even through the whole Silverstone/Donningtone debacle I thought he was doing the right thing but I really think he’s missing a trick when it comes to F1 coverage. He’s been slow on the uptake anyway with not exploiting all the new possibilities the internet brings but now there’s going to be so many who just won’t or can’t pay for F1. I guess this is typical Bernie and not really his fault but the BBC’s and the times we live in.

I’m appalled at how the BBC have handled this too. Hearing from Brundle who has loyally followed the F1 circus for years that he didn’t even get a warning about this is just horrid. You think they’d at least have the decency of telling their employees the situation.

This is like a very bad break up. “It’s not you it’s me” as cuts need to be made so now “we need some space…” which probably will one day mean “later gator”. So thanks for the last perfect few years but right now this is a mess.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 29th July 2011, 14:16

I feel a bit torn on a particular issue…

Brundle is a fantastic commentator and knows the sport inside out. It would be a shame for Sky customers to miss out on that but I can’t help but think he would be wasted at the BBC, only doing half the job he did previously.

This is a mess, you’re right.

• Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 29th July 2011, 14:27

I’ve been waiting for you to comment Steph, so I can simply agree with you and won’t have to type it all out myself!

Brilliantly put Steph and I agree with all your points.

10. Rob R. said on 29th July 2011, 13:31

I guess this is Ecclestone’s way of coming out in favour of “assisted suicide”.

11. Andy said on 29th July 2011, 13:33

Appalled,in the last 3 years bbc have provided in depth fantastic coverage,those irritating ad-breaks will come back,,F1-ITV horror show all over again…LONG LIVE AUNTIE BEEB

12. Then I must feel previleged to watch F1 in Nairobi Kenya for several years without seeing a single commerical till after the race ends

13. James said on 29th July 2011, 13:35

No ads? So? Might as well have nude pit babes too, I won’t know because I can’t afford Sky.

14. Does this mean we will have super mechanics and super tyre changers and super visor cleaners who will be paid millions, the same way Sky has done for football. I havent watched a single live top team football game since Sky turned it into the premier league.

Sky can expect more dodgy Sky cards being sold at your local boot fair and market. Not to mention their easy access stream.

Wimbledon will be next.

15. Paul said on 29th July 2011, 13:55

Bernie stated frankly that he doesn’t care what happens to F1 when he’s gone. If he wanted to he could avoid this.