Sky to show F1 races without adverts in 2012

2012 F1 season

Start, Valencia, 2011

Start, Valencia, 2011

Sky has confirmed its F1 race coverage will be free of adverts when it begins in 2012.

A spokesperson told F1 Fanatic: “There won’t be any ad breaks. Every second of every race will be live and uninterrupted.

“It will be the only place to watch every race live.”

Sky’s plans are at an early stage having just announced the deal, and decisions are yet to be taken on who will be involved in its coverage.

While Sky has begun broadcasting some sports in 3D the spokesperson said it was “way too early to say” whether this could also be used for F1 – which has only made its debut in HD this year.

The spokesperson said the price of a Sky subcription would not increase before September 2012 and added: “We’ll give it the full Sky Sports treatment: it will be on Sky Sports News, Sky Sports dot com, across mobile and online.”

BBC/Sky F1 2012 deal

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

235 comments on Sky to show F1 races without adverts in 2012

1. LE Greys said on 29th July 2011, 14:00

I’ll add my voice to those saying that it will not matter, because I will not be watching. I’ll stick with the BBC races for as long as they are still on, and the highlights of course.
    Has Bernie considered that no advertising and a smaller audience might mean fewer sponsors aiming at the British market. That might mean the British Grand Prix going the same way as the French. Does he really want that?

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 29th July 2011, 14:10

Well the British GP will be shown on the BBC so that should soften the blow, I see where you’re coming from though. I would imagine the British GP is pretty safe. The BMDC did a wonderful job with Damon Hill in charge and they have the deal they needed from FOM to keep things stable for a good few years yet.

2. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 29th July 2011, 14:08

Good news. I think they would struggle to justify commerical breaks, they will know just how discontented people are at the moment.

I did think that may be the case when the news said that they hope to continue the ‘revolutionary’ way in which broadcasting the sport has developed.

3. Hoohah said on 29th July 2011, 15:12

“We’ll give it the full Sky Sports treatment” = some blonde with big maracas who know’s fun all about the sport she’s covering…..

4. Hoohah said on 29th July 2011, 15:14

The most shocking thing, is this is for four years…and after that, what’s going to happen…yep it’ll be solely on sky…

5. Tony said on 29th July 2011, 15:36

Shame – who remembers how popular boxing was until Sky got hold of it, and now I don’t know who watches boxing apart from the real heavy weights (pardon the pun)!

Formula One will go the same way, which means less sponsorship for the sport in the UK. Its the end of F1 as we know it, enjoy the last season 2011.

6. antonyob said on 29th July 2011, 15:59

a small river or brook

7. Jake said on 29th July 2011, 16:04

What a sad day, I can’t believe it. Can someone who’s a computer ‘expert’ copy all these comments and somehow post them on the sky website! That’ll show them the utter disgrace we all have for this decision, sky is not the answer. Chanel 4 would do a better job! Atleast I could watch it on free air tv then! Absolute disgrace.

8. UKfanatic (@) said on 29th July 2011, 16:28

I prefered to have to watch adverts than watching no races at all, I know that it must be ultra expensive, but F1 is an national sport it is from the interest of all british to have the right to watch all their drivers and teams.

9. Joseph said on 29th July 2011, 16:32

What we need to no now is what will FOTA do. They have said numerous times F1 is staying on Free to Air TV, so if that is the case then they will have to flex there muscles and sort this mess out. Not only does this situation effect the viewers in the UK but this will also effect other countries that take the BBC feed as it will mean that they will need to pay for the rights from SKY. I just hope that it can be sorted by the start of the 2012 season, and one thing is for sure i have lost total faith in the FIA and F1.

10. Fan1 said on 29th July 2011, 16:49

So everyone a looser:
    – the fans who will not see all races
    – the BBC who will loose audience to Sky for ALL races (if people pay for Sky they’ll use it)
    – and F1 who will loose fans (and related advertising)
    – and Sky?

• Matt said on 29th July 2011, 17:43

- and Sky?

Sky lose because the massively popular sport that they’re taking on to attract premium ad revenue will slump in the UK. All this “moving f1 to new territories” (india, russia etc) is crap. F1’s premium sponsors want cash out of Europe/UK and the USA. I don’t care if every kid in india sees this years race, you can bet TAG won’t be selling any extra watches over there.

11. Hallard said on 29th July 2011, 16:54

Its hard for me to have sympathy for you guys in europe when I’m here in the US paying $70 a month for a premium cable package just so that I can watch F1 races.

I wish I were more optimistic, but I cant see F1 increasing it’s fan base in the states unless they put more than 4 races a year on free TV broadcast, Austin GP or no.

12. Ho,here we go again, the kiss of death for another sport. F1 will never be the same now the Murdoch crew have got there sticky fingers on it. it will end up as pay per race and adverts all over the coverage. I for one will not be bothering with the 2012 season , what is the point of watching half a season live ? and I will certainly not be subscribing to Sky Sports. what a shame, the BBC coverage was spot on, but I suppose you cannot compete against naked greed, shame on you Bernie. RIP F1 as we know it. and one final point I for one are not interested as to how F1 is shown in Timbuktu or where ever, it is F1 coverage in the UK that is of concern to the fans.

13. Al 42 said on 29th July 2011, 17:58

What difference is this going to make? The mere fact that Sky can broadcast without adverts during the race certainly isn’t enough of a pro to drag people into forking out for a Sky subscription and for a channel that many like myself would only watch for F1. What a complete joke. Im sad to say my 20 years of following this sport will come to an end this season. I only hope the season tightens up a bit or my last F1 season is going to be over sooner than i had hoped. Thank god i started getting into moto gp.

14. VettelS (@vettels) said on 29th July 2011, 18:18

The problem for the US is that F1 isn’t really very popular, compared to Europe and Asia. Even with the Austin GP, I doubt F1 on free-to-air TV would be financially viable.

However in Europe, specifically the UK, it IS financially viable. Other counties like Austria, Germany, Italy and Spain get free-to-air F1 coverage, so why can’t Britain?

I don’t blame the BBC, so much as Formula One Group. If they wanted to keep F1 on free-to-air in the UK, they could.

The BBC currently pays about £40M per year to host F1. Compare that to Bernie Ecclestone’s net worth of something like £2.5B. Formula One could easily set aside a tiny percentage of their massive annual profits to subsidise the BBC.

15. TMFOX said on 29th July 2011, 18:20

According to some news reports Channel 4 was interested in the rights.

I’d rather it went to Channel 4 than Sky :(

• VettelS (@vettels) said on 29th July 2011, 18:25

If C4 got F1, I assume the commentator would be that guy who does Big Brother.

But on a serious note, at least C4 is free. I would rather put up with adverts than fork out £50 per race on Sky. We managed with ITV after all.