Sky to show F1 races without adverts in 2012

2012 F1 season

Start, Valencia, 2011

Start, Valencia, 2011

Sky has confirmed its F1 race coverage will be free of adverts when it begins in 2012.

A spokesperson told F1 Fanatic: “There won’t be any ad breaks. Every second of every race will be live and uninterrupted.

“It will be the only place to watch every race live.”

Sky’s plans are at an early stage having just announced the deal, and decisions are yet to be taken on who will be involved in its coverage.

While Sky has begun broadcasting some sports in 3D the spokesperson said it was “way too early to say” whether this could also be used for F1 – which has only made its debut in HD this year.

The spokesperson said the price of a Sky subcription would not increase before September 2012 and added: “We’ll give it the full Sky Sports treatment: it will be on Sky Sports News, Sky Sports dot com, across mobile and online.”

BBC/Sky F1 2012 deal

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

235 comments on Sky to show F1 races without adverts in 2012

1. VettelS (@vettels) said on 29th July 2011, 18:22

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out already, but although Sky will not show adverts during the on-track coverage, they WILL be commercials during the pre- and post-race shows.

2. Bogget said on 29th July 2011, 18:37

So the BBC has stuffed us and lost F1, what a disaster it means we will now not see most races, why has Eccalstone allowed this, does he not like the fans does he not think we are important? I dont have SKY and will NEVER have SKY, i dont watch any other sport so sky is on no use top me what options do i now have? Why would F1 do this to loyal fans, i cant believe how they would do this to us?

Bogget

3. Bogget said on 29th July 2011, 19:00

SKY and Bernie Ecclestone KILLS F1 in the UK

So the BBC and Bernie Ecclestone has stuffed us and lost F1, what a disaster it means we will now not see most races only highlights, why has Bernie Ecclestone allowed this, does he not like the fans does he not think we are important? I dont have SKY and will NEVER have SKY, i dont watch any other sport so sky is of no use to me what options do i now have? Why would F1 do this to loyal fans, i cant believe how they would do this to us? why does Bernie want to KILL F1?

Bogget

4. Brendonio said on 29th July 2011, 19:06

a sad day for all us working class that cant afford SKY SPORTS. Sign the petition please.

5. PieLighter said on 29th July 2011, 19:49

Damn, I only watch open wheelers (ie F1) and I have a strong dislike for Indy. A10 World Series better get their fingers out, I loved the old A1GP, and I only have Sky Sports 2 so F1 as a major event would probably go on SS 1.
    I’m waiting for the time when a phone-hacking **** completely gets hold of F1 from Bernie and CVC, then it will be truly dead. This is simply the first step.

6. sunnyside said on 29th July 2011, 20:00

I’m wondering what the BBC paid for their London 2012 Olympics coverage…

And whether it broke the bank?

7. Korku said on 29th July 2011, 20:12

I think most people have failed to realise that we do pay for the the F1 via our TV licence. Its down to the BBC to provide a variety of sports on the free channels.

So with that in mind the question is why did the BBC decide to amend/terminate thier current contract, when the deal actually ends in 2013 after the olympics?

The BBC have a lot to answer for.

8. Ok, so we know that it’ll be advert free during the race (pre and post race obviously fair game) and, uh, that’s it. Not much of an announcement from Sky at this point. Who’s going to head their coverage? Who’ll be in the commentary booth? What happens to those of us in Canada that love the BBC commentary that we get on TSN? Brundle being without a contract gives me hope that he’ll have the chance to jump over and take Coulthard with him.

9. Nullius said on 29th July 2011, 20:53

£31.95 per month for a Sky sports package (assuming you already have sky – more if you don’t) means that x 12 = 383.40 divided by 19 races = just over 20 quid per race weekend. Add the regular monthly sky fee – of between 20-50 quid per month – and you’re looking at forking out at least £60 per month if you want to watch every race, which is about £38 per grand prix.

Suddenly the BBC license fee looks rather good (I’d pay £145 a year just for Radio 4, but that’s another rant).

The fools at the Beeb say they will be saving 16 million, but this is chicken feed for them – they must spend more than this on taxis every year.

10. PieLighter said on 29th July 2011, 21:24

Someone posted this on RaceDepartment:

Kudos to FOTA for trying, but a primetime delay is the best we can hope for I guess. Better than 50% live on BBC and the rest exclusively on Sky I suppose. Looks like the phone hacker will get less money after all. Win.

11. Rob said on 29th July 2011, 21:25

And so they should if I’m paying for the ‘privilege’ of watching F1. Thanks Bernie and sky. Actually, you can shove it!

Once the BBC have been gotten rid of and sky are the sole transmitter of F1 in the UK, they will make the ITV coverage seem like the best thing since sliced bread. Advert central every time there is a safety car for rain, or Billy Hopeless parks it against the nearest hard object. Then you’ll be paying to watch the same adverts over and over again.

F1 really is in danger of lapping itself and disappearing up its own exhaust. Bernie appears to be pricing the Circuits and TV companies to ridiculous levels and given the current economic climate, I think it is unsustainable.

I’ve watched F1 since ’86, but I am not going to pay sky/murdoch a penny.

12. BenH (@benh) said on 29th July 2011, 21:28

I’m going to go against the grain a bit here and look at this from another angle. It is a pain to think that you have to pay extra for sky sports, but recently sky have announced they now supply 10m home in the UK and many also have virgin media instead which means that access to sky sports is possible so actual coverage isnt a problem. Sky sports has been a great platform for football to improve and given their track record with that, I believe they can improve on what currently exists. One of the major complaints about coverage, even on this site, is the simplicity in which the coverage is presented on the BBC. The complexity of our glorious sport is not put across by the BBC for pursuit of the casual viewer. The fact that the coverage will now be by a well established sports provider should bring the sport back to the true fan. Also let us not forget that it is not just F1 that will be on sky. They also have Indycar, so it is now not just an F1 question, but a motorsport question in general. If you are a fan of motorsport then we need to get behind this and hope that sky really do a great job with the coverage. Hopefully they will get someone like crofty from 5 live. Someone who can really hold it together. No more kids presenters talking to us and expert pundits like kids. I am willing to pay the price to watch my sport, as many football fans have been doing for years. If paying for F1=better and more in depth coverage then I for one will be happy

• Rob said on 29th July 2011, 21:42

I may be wrong, but my impression of sky sports is not one of high intellect. To be fair, I am basing this on their bread and butter – football.

Perhaps with a commentary double act of Eddie Jordan and Eddie Irvine, well oiled on Guinness, I could be tempted to subscribe sky!

• John H said on 30th July 2011, 0:52

Football has not improved from where I’m sitting because I don’t get to see any if it.

• Duchess (@duchess) said on 30th July 2011, 16:21

If you think their football coverage is ‘improved’, then I don’t want to think what kind of misogynist ******** were up in that place before. Because Sky comms are among the worst I have ever had the misfortune to hear.

13. daykind said on 29th July 2011, 21:45

Such a shame. I am really uPSET ABOUT IT.

14. Master firelee (@master-firelee) said on 29th July 2011, 22:13

i dont care im not getting sky anyway i doubt many people will be watching the races sky cover. (waits for ratings)

15. John H said on 30th July 2011, 0:49

As Obama says, you can put lipstick on a pig but it’s still a pig.