Sky to show F1 races without adverts in 2012

2012 F1 season

Start, Valencia, 2011

Start, Valencia, 2011

Sky has confirmed its F1 race coverage will be free of adverts when it begins in 2012.

A spokesperson told F1 Fanatic: “There won’t be any ad breaks. Every second of every race will be live and uninterrupted.

“It will be the only place to watch every race live.”

Sky’s plans are at an early stage having just announced the deal, and decisions are yet to be taken on who will be involved in its coverage.

While Sky has begun broadcasting some sports in 3D the spokesperson said it was “way too early to say” whether this could also be used for F1 – which has only made its debut in HD this year.

The spokesperson said the price of a Sky subcription would not increase before September 2012 and added: “We’ll give it the full Sky Sports treatment: it will be on Sky Sports News, Sky Sports dot com, across mobile and online.”

BBC/Sky F1 2012 deal

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

235 comments on Sky to show F1 races without adverts in 2012

1 5 6 7
  1. manatcna (@manatcna) said on 30th July 2011, 1:40

I could probably find the money to subscribe to sky, but guess what?

I won’t

2. dominikwilde said on 30th July 2011, 2:22

People are mentioning the football on Sky but think about this, in the English Premier League, how many players are actually English? These days, how many teams are English owned? OK, now F1, 3 Brit drivers, 3 british teams with a further 5 teams based in the UK with primarily British staff. Surely then having F1 on free to air is important for the country, jobwise, industry wise and it gives us something to do on a sunday morning. But seriously, who gives a toss about footy on sky? It didnt make it better at all it just brought in foreigners ruining the ‘english game’. If people have to pay for f1, itl be dead over here, the spiritual home of the sport, the home of the very first race and one of the with one of the best and most passionate motorsports backgrounds there is!

3. dominikwilde said on 30th July 2011, 2:29

Oh and the comment by Jarred Walmsley, well sorry (and i don’t mean to offend anyone here) but with no current drivers from new zealand or no new zealand grand prix, its understandable that you have to pay to watch F1 because the percentage of the population watching would, I presume, be smaller that that of a country with drivers, teams, factories and races in the championship making it pointless to have it on free to air because the audience would be small and the network would loose money. This is all just an opinion though but i do believe it to be a valid one :)

4. The New Pope said on 30th July 2011, 2:56

Anyone know if, in the USA, we will still see the races on Speed TV?

5. Pubs will love the news… I for one would rather spend the money on beer and watch the races, than give the money to Sky. Heck I can have lunch out each race weekend and a whole day out for less money than the cost of Sky+Sports.

6. bosyber (@bosyber) said on 30th July 2011, 11:27

autosport: F1/teams can’t change this deal, but believe it is good for the sport, largely Believing that the prime time highlights might bring more viewers.

Not sure about that, but I mainly quote the article for this brilliant quote from Paul Hembley (who has strong doubts about it as a sponsor):

As a licence payer I just hope there aren’t more reality shows.

Not being in the UK, I still really appreciate the sentiment.

7. maxthecat said on 30th July 2011, 12:07

Face facts people, F1 is on Sky, no amount of complaining is going to change it. Just accept that fans come second to money, it’s the same with football, sky made it an elitist sport.

I reckon Bernie thinks this …. “If you can’t afford Sky to watch F1 you’re not good enough to be watching it anyway. He thinks it’s a sport of kings and the masses should think themselves lucky to be allowed to watch.

8. Neil said on 30th July 2011, 12:21

I have been an avid follower of F1 for 20+ years, never missed a beat, spent shedloads going to Silverstone on numerous occasions too.
    NOW I will regrettably stop following F1, this BBC/Sky deal is a royal rip offfff, FREE TO VIEW is the rule and always has been, NOW it will cost what ?? £40+ to get carp SKY + sky sports 3, SHAFTED that’s what they have done to the loyal followers.

NOTE to dishonorable Ecclesone, you may think you are theee man in F1, but you are nothing, yes NOTHING without us, it is the viewers and circuit spectators that makes F1 and nothing else, YOU have SOLD us out you greedy little muppet, I PRAY now that the F1 teams DO fight you on this through their FREEEEE to view policy and should they fail to get this overturned then PLEASE, PLEASE stick it to your muppet leader and set up a new breakaway F1. leave the clown with nothing, that is the usual result of GREED bernie, GREED !!!!!

9. Carlh said on 30th July 2011, 13:07

No adverts ……. If I was daft enough to pay for Sky Sports anyway I would like to think there was no adverts because why should I pay to be spammed with adverts. In 2013 the adverts will be back and to watch uninterrupted coverage there will be a “special deal” on “premium” coverage and then there will be the extra to pay for races of season significance (first, last, UK, Monaco, Nurburgring etc). That is just the start, in time Sky will then get their grip on some of the sports rules to make it so that the sport works around their schedules and agendas “if we change this rule here, then we can fit a sponsors message in there” type stuff.
    RIP F1

10. xpres1000 (@xpres1000) said on 30th July 2011, 16:39

This is a disaster for F1 fans. I don’t have Sky and will not ever buy Sky. Pretty soon all the races will be on Sky and don’t be surprised if eventually, you will have to pay for each race and each qualifing session, complete with adverts.

This is a disater!!!!

11. OldEarl said on 30th July 2011, 22:17

I think most people are missing the target why should’nt Sky step in the BBC wanted out because they had to reduce the cost. One of the problems of the BBC is they have to many people in any production be it Golf, football and F1.
    They would’nt cut Wimbledon 2 weeks wall to wall coverage, Open Golf would’nt touch it.
    The BBC are the bad guys in all this not Sky or Bernie.

12. Nicola said on 31st July 2011, 13:16

“We’ll give it the full Sky Sports treatment”

I couldn’t think of anything worse.

13. Phil Wood said on 24th August 2011, 21:59

Sky will kill F1 if they are going to charge the viewers to watch it like they did for football. They are jumping on the F1 money making machine, we all know there is a lot of money in F1 but did you realise how much ?. I suggest you get Bernie Ecclstones book called ” NO ANGEL ” to see how much is involved. I love F1 but i think Sky should show it for free because viewing figures will go down and so will the sales of sponser goods that are advertised in F1. KEEP IT FREE FOR THE BRITISH PUBLIC

14. I grew up READING about F1 in the States. Frankly, I enjoy reading about it more than I actually like watching it on TV… the TV experience lacks, for me, the spectacle. It is just watching cars drone around, without the gut shake and ear tingle of the real thing.

I don’t suppose that anyone who grew used to the sport on TV would enjoy reading about it, instead, but I won’t mind a bit. Often do it, by choice, anyway.

Mike

15. Andrew Wingham said on 13th January 2012, 16:36

Sky want an extra £20.25 for sky sports or £10.25 extra for HD and I dont have an HD television yet. They are not considering it as a stand alone channel either yet. The BBC say they have to cut costs so I presume they mean keep Eastenders etc and all the reality crap they love paying out for on the telly. Yawn !
    Come on Sky most people dont mind a fair price, but to have to buy all the football to watch motor racing , thats taking the ****

1 5 6 7