Vote for your 2011 Hungarian GP driver of the weekend

2011 Hungarian Grand Prix

Start, Hungaroring, 2011

Start, Hungaroring, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend:

Jenson Button – Button can always be relied upon to call these conditions correctly and did just that. But he was also quick in the dry part of the race.

Sebastian Vettel – Looked lost on Friday, transformed the car on Saturday, didn’t slip up on Sunday – and extended his points lead. Performances like this make champions as much as crushingly dominant victories do.

Paul di Resta – Delivered on the potential he’s shown in recent races with a mature drive in tricky conditions to finish ‘best of the rest’.

Sebastien Buemi – Gained nine places in the opening lap, and carried the momentum throughout the race to claim a useful eighth.

Heikki Kovalainen – His team mate may have been singing the praises of the revised Lotus, but it was Kovalainen who took the battle to the midfield. Shame about the switch to intermediates, though.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Nick Heidfeld and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Daniel Ricciardo and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (6%)
  • Mark Webber (0%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (12%)
  • Jenson Button (51%)
  • Fernando Alonso (1%)
  • Felipe Massa (1%)
  • Michael Schumacher (0%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Nick Heidfeld (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (1%)

Total Voters: 465

Loading ... Loading ...

Rate the Race: Hungarian Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

102 comments on Vote for your 2011 Hungarian GP driver of the weekend

1 2 3 4
  1. RIISE (@riise) said on 1st August 2011, 19:25

I would’ve voted for Lewis had it not been his ridiculous decision to spin round in front of oncoming traffic. So I’ll give it to Jenson.

• Leggacy (@leggacy) said on 1st August 2011, 19:35

i would have voted for lewis if the 01:19.978 pole time i had predicted for him had stuck, damn that Vettel!

Voted for button in the end, great performance!

• Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 2nd August 2011, 4:13

me too. if he hadn’t made a call for inters.

• Macca (@macca) said on 2nd August 2011, 5:40

There’s no bigger fan of Webber than me, but come on guys, who gave him 1 vote??? :)

My vote went to Buemi

• SupaSix-1 said on 2nd August 2011, 19:33

If you know how to read & listen then you would already know that Martin Whitmarsh confirmed on TV that THE TEAM made the decision about the inters. ALSO in all the reports, it has been confirmed by mclaren that it was THE TEAM’S decision.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 2nd August 2011, 12:55

I think the call for inters was unlucky (although Button had the sense to ignore the order), the call for super-softs when the others went for softs was probably more the teams fault, but that spin- even if he couldn’t see Di Resta as he said- was his error. He seemed often the fastest driver, and without the spin he still wouldn’t have won but he would have perhaps earned my vote.

As it is, Button gets it instead.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 2nd August 2011, 17:35

I gave my vote to Buemi. He had a wonderful race, starting from qualifying 18th (he would have done better than that on super-softs), and starting 23rd. His race was perfect.
      Hamilton – was great until he spun almost into di Resta.
      Button – was great since he led, but he wasn’t first to begin with.
      Vettel – was good but had some offs and was way slower than the McLarens.

• SupaSix-1 said on 2nd August 2011, 19:46

Yeh how silly of Lewis!

Surely he shouldve known to stay where he was, get his sarnies out and call the RAC!

Its worth pointing out that Lewis wouldve been black-flagged had he drove round as he wouldve been driving the wrong way of the circuit (into the coming direction of other cars) – He had to do a 360….he did the race justice for not forcing a further delayed yellow-flag or even a possible safetycar (couldve happened if he waited long enough and his engine overheated).

ALSO most impotantly…Lewis prevented a possibly very dangerous scenario, as if another car..say Diresta did the same and ploughed into Lewis.
      -Mind you that was a text-book 360 by Lewis!

Listen riise.. they are racing drivers – Hes in a race – F1 is a race – Get over it!
      They are not there to wait for the green-cross-code-man to put in a guest appearance!

• javlinsharp said on 2nd August 2011, 22:11

My tendancy is to agree. He was stopped on the track, couldnt stay there. A drive through seems a bit harsh and add a bit of creedance to the idea LH is more harshly judged than others.

It is my opinion that such stewart interventions are waaay to common. I would prefer to see “No Harm No Foul” but when penalties are metted out, they should be harsh.

• RIISE (@riise) said on 3rd August 2011, 8:52

Could you be any more further up Lewis’s backside?

No you listen, he performed a spin on the racing line, forcing Di Resta to go onto the wet grass, Paul could’ve easily lost control of that and put it in the wall. If you think that was the right thing to do from Lewis’s point of view then you are a terrible F1 fan. It was wreckless and could’ve took numerous drivers out of the race.

The thing is he could’ve spun around the other way, he may have touched the grass but be he wouldn’t risk getting a penalty or causing risk to others if he had.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 3rd August 2011, 9:07

I think you’re both half-right (and getting unnecessarily heated about it).

From the replays it looks to me that Di Resta didn’t actually need to go off the track to avoid Hamilton. Had he stuck to his line I don’t think they would have made contact.

This was not like Singapore ’09 where Sutil clean drove into the side of Heidfeld while recovering.

But put yourself in Di Resta’s position: As he comes out of the corner he can see Hamilton spinning towards him and has no idea whether the McLaren’s going to spin into his path. The only sensible thing for him to do is take pre-emptive avoiding action.

That’s why I believe the stewards were right to penalise Hamilton.

As ever, when getting into the detail of these scenarios, it’s worth bearing in mind the drivers may well have been told various things about how to behave during the drivers’ briefings which we never hear about.

2. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 1st August 2011, 19:32

Jenson Button will undoubtedly win anyway so I’m going for Buemi. He deserves a vote. 23rd to 8th is a great effort.

3. HoHum (@hohum) said on 1st August 2011, 19:35

Jenson because he was fast, smooth and smart, winning made it even better. Honourable mention to the Mercedes boys for getting into the action early and DiResta and Ricciardo for good results as newbies relative to their teams potential. Oh and Lewis too, for being mostly brilliant.

4. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 1st August 2011, 19:36

I’ve voted for Jenson before and wasn’t that impressed with this weekend to be honest, so I went for di Resta.

• Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 1st August 2011, 19:41

By which I mean, I don’t think he even did much of his Canada magic here, he just didn’t mess up in the best package. Even closing up to Hamilton was a compound-degradation thing, not his feel for grip, as Vettel was making similar time on Lewis too.

Deserving of a win but not DotW, that’s just my opinion.

• d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 2nd August 2011, 4:46

Also went for diresta here, and didnt choose Jenson for the same reason. Basically I went for diresta because he could have had a serious accident, saved his own butt, saved his race, and kept a cool head when the team told him it was time for inters – he said no.

Normally I am not a DIR fan but this was a good weekend for him, even if he did get beaten by his teammate in quali.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 3rd August 2011, 17:57

Precisely.

5. mantolwen (@mantolwen) said on 1st August 2011, 19:39

I voted for Heikki Kovalainen, who was holding up a Force India, a Renault, a Williams and a Sauber at one point. In fact, he was so impressive that the FOM director decided to watch him for a bit. Shame about the switch to inters, but McLaren and Red Bull also made that mistake so can’t hold it against him. The retirement for a water leak was incredibly disappointing after a great race.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 1st August 2011, 22:47

Glad for reading your post before voting. I agree and voted for Heikki as well.

Button did great, he qualified well and did everything right, but nothig amazingly so. Vettel still had the fastest car, but it was more pitstop luck/good strategy than skill that got him ending up 2nd. Alonso was more impressive in the race, as he made the same bad choice as both HAM and WEB, but he got beaten in Qualifying. Massa had a great saturday and did some very special driving on Sunday, just its hard to make up for a blooper like the one costing him a front runner place and a dangerously looking rear wing.

DiResta was good as well, Heidfeld made a great jump from the car. Buemi did fine to end up as far up as he did as well.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 1st August 2011, 22:59

Well said, I applaud giving it to mid-field or lower ranked drivers when they show better than could have been expected. Heikki might also win it for me bc. he seems to be so glad to do the job though.

• dragon said on 2nd August 2011, 1:33

What makes you think that Vettel had the fastest car? There was no evidence this weekend of a dominant RB7.

6. The New Pope said on 1st August 2011, 19:54

Buemi! Buemi! Buemi!

7. sato113 (@sato113) said on 1st August 2011, 19:58

didn’t slip up on Sunday

he slid off track whilst under pressure from Hamilton to lose the lead of the race! quite a big slip up if you think about it! :D

8. themagicofspeed (@) said on 1st August 2011, 20:00

Not a McLaren fan at all, but i am a Button fan. He made the right decision at the right time re tyres, and it’s paid off, again. IMO JB is the ‘new’ rainmeister.

Hamilton – what was that all about spinning around in front of oncoming cars? Does he a) have a disturbing enjoyment of danger or b) enjoy meeting the stewards? What on earth?

Ferrari (of whom i am a fan) had a typically crap weekend. I fear this is turning into a repeat of the 1979-2000 years, they just can’t seem to get it right consistently like they did in the dream team era. Im a fan, and always will be, but i find myself despairing of them over recent seasons. I know Fernando came 3rd but i am someone who beleives unless you came 1st, you are not just first of the losers, but you have failed. Who races with the intention of coming 2nd?

• JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 1st August 2011, 20:16

I agree, but I think that Alonso would have done better with a cooler head. Without pushing so hard in the earlier stages, I think he would have finished ahead of Vettel.

Although, this is mere speculation.

• Jeffrey Powell said on 1st August 2011, 22:19

Do you think that because you could see Di Resta from the camera over the air box ,that Lewis had the same view from 20″ from the tarmac, so you would to make the decision to stay in the middle of the race track and wait for somebody to run into you,’good luck’.The stewards made their decision based on a rule that does not consider ‘racing’, they were probably correct but it does not mean Lewis commited a cardinal sin.

• Lew Numba 1 said on 1st August 2011, 23:58

I don’t entirely disagree with the penalty, but I totally agree he had to get out of the middle of the track. If you watch the replay carefully, you can see that he did leave the normal racing line as clear as he could whilst doing the spin. It was a tough call for the stewards, and I think that whether he saw DIR or not, it was a dangerous maneuver.

That said, I think he still drove a pretty good race and had no more ‘incidents’ than most of the other drivers. That spin couldn’t have happened at a worse point in the circuit, though.

Although I really enjoyed Lewis’ driving all weekend, I’d still give it to Paul di Resta. I’ve been saying to my F1 friends since the beginning of the season that he is a force to be reckoned with. Outstanding drive from a rookie!

9. bigbadderboom said on 1st August 2011, 20:30

Jenson for keeping it on the black stuff. Composure and skill, slightly rash on lap 51 when dueling with Lewis, but all in all the most complete performance on the day won it! I really admire his temperament.

10. Lin1876 (@lin1876) said on 1st August 2011, 20:33

Has to be Jenson. He made all the right calls, kept it on the track, was quick in all conditions and took one of his best ever victories. Why can’t he do this every race?

11. George (@george) said on 1st August 2011, 20:40

No one really stood out this week, think I’ll give it to Buemi.

12. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 1st August 2011, 20:55

Would have given it to Heikki for his brilliant performance, but I’m sorry… Jenson just done what he did best, and pulled some very sweet overtakes on arguably the hardest person to overtake in Formula 1…

• SupaSix-1 said on 2nd August 2011, 19:52

Overtakes???

He used the DRS on Hamilton – Sorry but DRS is a joke.

He drove past Hamilton when Lewis spun out – wouldnt really class it as a fair overtake.

-Wouldnt class them as challenging overtakes.

On the subject of overtakes – the best overtake of the race without a doubt was Hamilton on Webber (3 abreast down that narrow straight) – truely brave as usual from Lewis as he went out onto the marbles & braked later!

13. It’s really tough as pretty much everyone made mistakes in hindsight. I voted Paul for upping his game during the race but with hindsight I think I was really wrong and should have voted Button.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 3rd August 2011, 18:01

Interesting. I voted Button and kind of regret it now! I should read the comments before I vote, because you all make very good arguments that most of the time change my opinion!

14. pSynrg (@psynrg) said on 1st August 2011, 21:54

Lewis’s mistake almost made me vote for Button (classy but humdrum) but Lewis was on scintillating form otherwise.

Great quali and then passed everyone he needed to – great scrap with Jenson and then bullied Vettel into an error and drove off into the distance in a brilliant first stint. Then after his spin/inters/penalty he took Massa & Webber.

Most exciting driver of the weekend, again…

• Platine said on 2nd August 2011, 5:50

Clearly.

If it had rained for 5 minutes, Hamilton would be acclaimed as smart, happens to be Button again, partly as HAM had the lead, so what in theory is preferable choice to pit sooner, Button was just lucky on that.

The spin was ill-considered though.

15. UKfanatic (@) said on 1st August 2011, 23:12

I wouldnt vote for Kov cause Trulli finished dnf again for some strange reason.

1 2 3 4