Safety car deployed in Codemasters’ F1 2011

F1 game

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Montreal, 2011

Expect to spend a long time behind the safety car at Montreal in F1 2011

Codemasters have confirmed the safety car will feature in F1 2011, the official F1 game to be released next month.

The feature was in high demand from fans after it was not included in last year’s F1 2010.

Codemasters’ communications manager Andy Gray revealed the news on Twitter and posted photographs showing the car in the game.

Gray said the safety car will feature online as well as in single-player races. It can be turned off and is only available in races of more than 20% full distance.

There is no option to drive the safety car and the camera angle does not change when it is deployed.

He added players will “have control behind the safety car but there’ll be some restrictions.”

Codemasters will release F1 2011 on September 23rd for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

Buy / pre-order F1 2011 for Sony PlayStation 3
Buy / pre-order F1 2011 for Microsoft Xbox 360

F1 2011 by Codemasters

F1 Fanatic earns a commission on products sold via the links to our affiliate partners above, however you are not charged any extra. See here for more information.

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

110 comments on Safety car deployed in Codemasters’ F1 2011

1 2 3
  1. Gotta love how fast news travels on social media, I only just saw this on Twitter :) Cant wait to get it!!!!

• Until we read “there’ll be some restrictions”.

Should read “there’ll be A CRAPLOAD of restrictions”

• Like it’s semi-automatic, like driving down the pitlane?

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th August 2011, 13:36

Well I heard, probably here, that a lot of the pit-lane restrictions have been done away with so hopefully the same criteria will apply behind the SC.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 17th August 2011, 16:24

Maybe they will keep the distances between the car ahead and behind you automatically like in the pit lane, but give you freedom to zig-zag.

• Mike said on 18th August 2011, 1:26

I reckon you are spot on with that one. I think it’s a good thing too.

The only thing I hope is that “keeping the tyres warm” doesn’t become a mini game.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th August 2011, 13:38

It’ll be realistic then! Keep your distance and keep within the delta time. That’s all you need.

Hopefully weaving will be allowed, providing it makes a difference to tyre temperature.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 18th August 2011, 7:32

It might be the perfect test of the new super handlind dynamics of suspension and tyres :-(

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 18th August 2011, 15:22

I think it will be similar to the parade lap in F1 Championship Edition. It limited your top speed depending on how far ahead the car in front was, and allowed you to slow down and weave to warm up the tyres. I hope F1 2011 has a similar tyre-wear system to F1CE, because you really had to work to warm up the tyres and it was very user-friendly.

The more I think about it, the more I realise just how great F1 Championship Edition was. Apart from the handling, they were almost spot on.

• F1Sidewinda (@f1sidewinda) said on 17th August 2011, 14:01

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

2. Hamish said on 17th August 2011, 10:10

This will hamper the hospitality industry worldwide.

3. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 17th August 2011, 10:12

Personally, I welcome this news.

Now long distance races will no longer have that sense of inevitability about them, as the constant threat of the Safety Car will now mean races can suddenly be turned completely upside down. The thought of running a 58 lap race and having a Safety Car intervention resulting in a 5 lap sprint to the line is far more exciting for me that it really should be.

Also, assuming this feature will be active online, this is something we’re going to have to get used to for this year’s Collantine Cup season!

4. roberttty (@roberttty) said on 17th August 2011, 10:20

Just wondering if the formation laps are in F1-2011 as well?

5. is this game going to be more worthy of my time than the last one? Might just stick to the new Forza game

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 17th August 2011, 10:22

Way to keep an open mind.

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 17th August 2011, 12:18

To be fair; F1 2010 was the most dissapointing game I’ve ever bought and is the only game I’ve ever disliked so much that I traded it in.

• Stephen Jones (@aus_steve) said on 17th August 2011, 12:53

i hated it for about 48 hours (mostly due to the 12 months of hype i had surrendered to it!)

then after that it turned into one of my most played games.. it really grows on you

• Mike said on 18th August 2011, 1:30

Yeah I agree. It did get a lot of things right though. It actually felt like F1, Which most games can’t achieve.

• spanky the wonder monkey said on 17th August 2011, 16:54

agreed. will definitely hire before i buy the new one. the most annoying thing was the grip level ‘modelling’, closely followed by the penalties that only ever seemed to apply to the human.
          i was drawn into the pre-release hype about it being an f1 game for f1 fans. i felt it fell well short of that claim, so won’t fall into the trap so easily this time around.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 17th August 2011, 17:38

The most annoying for me was the car invariably spinning if I over shoot a corner, even if I release the throttle and steering completely.

• Sush Meerkat said on 17th August 2011, 19:25

I never bought it because of how the community acted when in races, the fallout from crashes as evident on this websites forums were really bad.

I’d be willing to buy something like MotorStorm Apocalypse to race you guys with because crashing is par for the course in that game, hence can’t really moan about it, so yeah I was turned off from the F1 game not because of the gameplay, but because how people acted about it.

Its only a game guys.

Its a shame because F1 games are superb at sucking you in, slowly turning off the driving aids and tackling the tracks.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 17th August 2011, 12:23

People are way too quick to dismiss this game. It’s not even been released yet.

F1 2010 had quite a lot of glitches but give this one a chance, seriously.

• mename2332 said on 17th August 2011, 14:23

One of the glitches in f1 2010 that I experienced was annoying. If I slowed for the pitlane a bit early, and there was a car behind me, than that car would suddenly become a ghost and shoot ahead. Hopefully that will be fixed now

• hahaha, i looked forward to the 2010 game for so long, told so many people about it, brought it, we played it for a week, and i don’t think I’ve ever touched it again. It really was a massive, massive let down.

I think this time I’m evening out that optimism by expecting absolutely nothing.

6. Hoohah said on 17th August 2011, 10:22

Let’s go the whole hog and have rain that turns torential so you’ve got the risk that the race will be red flagged..

7. ed24f1 (@ed24f1) said on 17th August 2011, 10:24

Hopefully they’ve thought this one through and not just rushed it in at the last minute!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th August 2011, 10:48

Given they responded to questions a few months back about it, by saying they would tell us later in the year weather they would implement it, i guess they have been working on this for a long time and now feel sure it will work.

8. themagicofspeed (@) said on 17th August 2011, 10:29

i was one of those who wanted safety cars, so im pleased.

F12010 lacked so many details, yet i never seem to notice because the rest of the game is so good.

Ive made a breif list of a few details it lacked –
    Formation Lap
    Podium Ceremony
    Parc Ferme (at end of quali and end of race)
    Driver’s Parade
    Grid Walk
    Post Quali press conference
    2 player (but as in, split screen’ 2 player, i dont have XBOX Live so cant access any multiplayer stuff)

And safety car of course.

Hopefully, F12011 will right a few of those missing details that if included, would go some way to making it so much more realistic i feel.

I dont think any of them would be too hard to do, mostly they are just video cutscenses but they would add to the realism and atmosphere.

• graham228221 said on 17th August 2011, 10:42

And I bet you’d skip them pretty much everytime! Get the racing right, that’s all that should matter – everything else is window dressing.

The safety car is a welcome addition, can’t wait to see how it works. With my first GP at Monza and this being released just after September is going to be EPIC!

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 17th August 2011, 12:42

Why would you want a Quali press conference? The race ones were boring enough after about 2 goes.

They have put in Parc Ferme this year. I think this is much better than having the podium.

• Hamish said on 17th August 2011, 12:54

[QUOTE]Formation Lap
      Podium Ceremony
      Parc Ferme (at end of quali and end of race)
      Driver’s Parade
      Grid Walk
      Post Quali press conference[/QUOTE]

Yea all well and good, but to the average F1 fan that quickly becomes a boring game. Its a lot to do and please a small portion of the audience.

• Mild7nick (@mild7nick) said on 17th August 2011, 17:55

They have already said they think podiums have already been done in previous F1 games and they feel no need.

Personally I think thats stupid as its like having the football worldd cup game without the trophy sequence

9. BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th August 2011, 10:46

Here’s a tweet from Codemasters giving more details:

@Formula1game To those who asked Safety Car is available in races 20% or over and can be turned off if you don’t want it.

10. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 17th August 2011, 10:51

I think it’s a mistake. The safety car is completely unnecessary. Formula 1 is all about going faster. The safety car only slows you down. So it seems like a contradiction to include it. I know I for one would find it incredibly boring to drive around in formation – and if the safety car is used in such a way that you can complete an entire race behind it (ie five laps), it will be a case of Codemasters shooting themselves in the foot. repeatedly.

Sure, it might be used in the races on television, but video games are a completely different medium. The things that make television good do not necessarily make video games good because video games have more interactivity.

• unocv12 said on 17th August 2011, 11:05

No it isn’t….

Formula 1 games are about putting Formula 1 into a game form os you can experience it.

Don’t want to play with F1 rules, then don’t play an F1 game. There are heaps of other racers, some more realistic, others not, GT5 has two F1 cars, or you can play iRacing or Need for Speed.

Formula 1 isnt about going faster, it’s about racing in some of the fastest cars.

I wouldn’t find it boring to drive around in formation, following the leader, maintaing a gap, keeping the tyres warm, having strategy calls to make, weaving, getting the start right, controlling the pack at the startif I’m leading… all great stuff I want to do.

PM, fi you don’t want the saftey car, turn it off, they have said you can, so just do that rather than complaining and explaining why others shouldn’t get to have it for the sake of your lazyness not to turn a feature off.

I’d prefer to play an F1 to play as an F1 driver. If I don’t want it then I don’t have to play it.

Simple.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 17th August 2011, 11:11

Well, enjoy spending ten laps at a time locked in formation and travelling at half speed. And while you spend twenty-odd minutes trundling around, just remember that this is supposed to be “fun”.

• Well you can turn the option off so why not have it.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 17th August 2011, 11:25

Because the time, effort and space put into the safey car could be better spent elsewhere – like the AI, the handling, and the weather. The safety car is little more than window-dressing; it doesn’t add anything to the game.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th August 2011, 12:16

PM, I feel pretty much as you do on the SC not being great in a racing game (it does make it more “sim” right).

But when a big proportion of fans ask for it, why wouldn’t a game developer put it in?

Especially as they already felt comfortable with those other new bits and had this unconfirmed right until the moment they felt it would work.

• Hamish said on 17th August 2011, 13:01

PM does have a pretty valid point here.

This is a bunch of F1 fans, on an F1 website arguing over a safety car. To the average consumer they couldn’t care less if it was there or not. Having the safety car there will only be appreciated by a small group of the audience, and those people are the fanatics who would have bought the game regardless of there being a safety car or not.

Something cool like a track design option is something I would prefer, or historical cars.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 17th August 2011, 13:08

Circuit design is unlikely, due to licencing issues.

But one of the ideas Codemasters touted as possible DLC is “historic driving missions”, where you re-create an historical race. It sounds really exciting – who wouldn’t want to recreate Senna and Mansell battling each other at Estoril?

Of course, the data for historic driving missions would probably be greater than the data necessary for the safety car, but it’s still something that could have been done.

• Yes, PM that is a fair point about developing elsewhere, didn’t think of that, although the SC will probably of had little development and be as buggy as 2010, hope not though. Second time this week I’ve agreed with you. :-)
            Also agreed about Q tyres.

I think it depends if you want a fun racing game or a slight movement to simulating the main things in F1.

• Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 17th August 2011, 11:24

It has to be said PM, that’s a pretty negative spin on things!

I think we should be really grateful that we’ve got a big developer interested in F1 again that we are allowed to moan at and make changes to the game!! Plus without being pedantic the article and quote from Codemasters does state that the SC is available in races over 20% normal race distance, so you would never run behind it for 5 laps and that be the entire race.

Personally I’m all for the Safety Car, I think it will add to the realism, and will cause some interesting results online.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 17th August 2011, 12:01

They had the Safety Car in F1 2000 on the novelty wore off after the 2nd or 3rd time it came out, for which then it got annoying.

I’ve seen people asking if we’ll get to start wet races behind the Safety Car. WHY?! I’m sorry but this is a racing game, I’m not going to pay £40 to drive in formation and warm tyres.

Being able to switch it on and off is a God send. I’ll be playing ‘F1 2011: Go compete’ while others can happily play ‘F1 2011: Sit behind the Safety Car’.

I mean, I want the game to be realistic but to a point. What next? No in-game pauses so if you need the toilet you have to wet yourself, just like a real F1 driver does? Jeez.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 17th August 2011, 12:17

they might get random Red flag periods in, like Canada :-)

• beneboy (@beneboy) said on 17th August 2011, 12:24

What next ?

I’ve heard that the new Sony Bravia fires springs at you every so often, has the option to spray burning fuel at you during pit stops and comes with a hot plate that fits into your seat and burns your bottom – just to make sure you get that authentic F1 experience…

• David-A (@david-a) said on 17th August 2011, 17:46

The reason people want the safety car, aside from making it more realistic, is to throw up an extra level of uncertainty and unpredictability to the races. It’s not so much about what happens under a safety car, rather the effect it has on the field- bunching it up so you can race more closely later on in a race.

• peperuda said on 17th August 2011, 12:29

So, switch it OFF!

• HxCas (@hxcas) said on 17th August 2011, 12:40

a) As safety cars are a huge part of proper f1 I wouldn’t say it’s “completely unnecessary” to have them in what is marketed as the official game.

b) The safety car can’t be used in a 5 lap race (it says in the article).

c) It’s an option. You can turn it off if you don’t like it. I really fail to see how having the OPTION of adding in a safety car is a mistake. It’s a nice touch, and if you don’t like it just don’t use it.

• Mads (@mads) said on 17th August 2011, 16:02

You can just turn it off. It might not be something you want, but F1 2011 is not a game made directly for you. It is made for F1 fans all over the world. If there is a large demand to include a safety car then that is time well spend to include it. And with a ON/off function it won’t be a problem for you, just turn it off and let others that want to use it, turn it on.
      Itup the field and then let you go again, to provide this strategic element to the game, which i is not necessarily going to be out for five laps, i wouldn’t be surprised if the safety car at maximum would be out for two laps to force you to change your strategy, bunch up the field and provide the strategic element.

• Mark Hitchcock said on 17th August 2011, 20:54

I’m almost 100% certain that if the developers have any sense at all you’ll be able to skip the actual driving behind the safety car. So there will be a crash, the SC will come out, you’ll press X, the game will fast-forward to the lap where the SC comes in and you will be in control for the restart.

But of course, thinking about it rationally isn’t as much fun as being a doom monger is it?

• Mark Hitchcock said on 17th August 2011, 20:59

The reason it’s such a worthwhile addition is that (as others have pointed out) it adds some unpredictability.
        If I’m 20 seconds in the lead in F1 2010 it becomes incredibly dull. I know all I have to do is trundle round for a certain win. And if I’m 20 seconds behind and lapping the same as the leaders I know I’m stuck there.
        Whereas if there’s a chance of a SC there’s always hope for a backmarker and tension for the leader.

Far from adding nothing, it actually adds rather a lot to the excitement and therefore overall experience of the game.

11. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 17th August 2011, 11:08

Meh, is my response. It isn’t really necessary I don’t think.

The safety car is deployed in F1 (generally) when it is either too wet to start/continue the race or when a car is in a dangerous place after a crash. So does this effectively mean that:
    1) there is guaranteed to be a safety car in any wet race you do in F1 2011?; and
    2) if there is big crash (say invoving 2 or more cars) you’ll end up creeping round behind the safety car while the marshalls “clear the track” (which would already have been cleared because the cars are only made of pixels and disappear after crashes!)?

• unocv12 said on 17th August 2011, 14:54

And the only thing holding a Lotus from beating a Red Bull is code…. but that’s what creates an authentic experience

12. Doance (@doance) said on 17th August 2011, 11:36

I won’t have it turned on. It would be a real pain to be racing and then suddenly have to spend 5 long laps behind the safety car. Not necessary imo.

13. JGR0859 said on 17th August 2011, 11:41

I read this site daily, and have never commented, but I have got to chime in on this one lol.

If you have ever raced online, you know that guys are crashing alll the time. Turn on the SC or yellow flags, and you will driving behind the SC the whole race. Mark my words. The way everybody gets around it is through the honor system. Everybody has a quick key to say if they have crashed or not. Then everybody lines back up quick has a quick key to say they are ready, and the the leader quick keys a ‘GO’. That way everybody gets lined right back up and does not have to do 5 laps behind the SC. As Prisoner Monkeys says, video games are a whole different medium. The only good news is that it can be turned off here. Because it sure will be.

14. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 17th August 2011, 11:53

Thank heaven you can turn it off. Obviously I don’t know what it’ll be like on F1 2011, but on rFactor the safety cars were nothing but an annoyance.

Hopefully it wont be over sensitive and deploy for things such as small spins or accidents that don’t pose any ‘danger’. It’s a fine line to tread and I hope it works OK, because if not it will be nothing but a gigantic waste of time. Based on their previous effort though, I’m not confident…

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 17th August 2011, 12:02

Agree with you there Dan. Anyone race that had the SC enabled in rFactor was an absolute pain.

Every time you even touched another car going into turn 1 the Safety Car would come out.

• Yup – I get really *really* frustrated when I get accused of ‘corner cutting’ in F1 2010 when I’m on the racing line. Would really get annoying if the SC came out every time I outbreak myself into turn 1 at Brazil (which for some reason I can never get right!)

• Harry Palmer said on 18th August 2011, 10:40

Hmmm, the game only calls you for corner cutting if you put all four wheels off the track… I’m pretty sure if you leave the track you aren’t on the racing line anymore though you may have only been slightly off it. Often I’ve taken a tight line on a corner, got the warning and thought ‘That’s rubbish, I didn’t cut there’ then when I check the replay realise I did have four wheels off the track albeit momentarily.

15. maxthecat said on 17th August 2011, 11:58

Never understood why everyone wanted a safety car, they ruin a real race let alone a virtual one. I’d rather be racing than watching a safety car go around for 3 laps and judging by the comments i’ve read the controls will be more like mini games whilst following it, like pushing up on the d pad to warm up tyres etc.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 17th August 2011, 13:44

They often add an element of ambiguity to the race.

Saftey car deployment bunches the field up which resets the playing field, creating overtaking opportunities, even more so that we now have DRS.

• Harry Palmer said on 18th August 2011, 11:00

Exactly, I really can’t understand why any serious F1 fan wouldn’t get this…

The SC is an important part of F1 strategy. It’s not available for shorter races which makes sense and if someone is just a casual gamer/f1 watcher and not that interested in utilising all the strategy elements available to them, then they can turn it off

1 2 3