2011 Belgian Grand Prix grid

*Five-place grid penalty for hitting Lewis Hamilton

2011 Belgian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Belgian Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images

82 comments on 2011 Belgian Grand Prix grid

1. Ben Bailey said on 27th August 2011, 14:16

Senna! Fantastic! what happen to Alonso?

2. I think that this grid will quickly change when both Hamolton and Maldonado are sent to the back.

• Hamilton??? whyy???

• Because it was as much his fault as Maldonado’s.

• Adrian J said on 27th August 2011, 14:20

So if I swerve into you it’s your fault as much as mine?

• gwenouille (@gwenouille) said on 27th August 2011, 14:22

That is not that simple. HAM did weave strangely too. One can even have the impression he turned right when MAL was at his height !

• If you hit me while I’m on my qualifying lap and then brake test me, I’d feel quite justified in showing my frustration.

• Antonius2004 (@antonius2004) said on 27th August 2011, 14:25

As Maldonado was driving up behind Hamilton, he then turned out from behind Hamilton, he (Hamilton) swerved towards Maldonado, Maldonado then drove straight and into Hamilton. I believe Hamilton set Maldonado off by doing what he did so I think Hamilton deserves a penalty as well.

• sato113 (@sato113) said on 27th August 2011, 14:26

@TFLB HAM never brake tested him. MAL needs to learn

• lubhz (@lubhz) said on 27th August 2011, 14:29

Clearly HAM turned right to crash into MAL (who was driving close by but on a straight line). All BBC presenters shouldn’t just blame the Venezuelan.

• @sato It did seem like he did, certainly swerved at him.

• How? I’m afraid if you’re going to make such ridiculous claims you’re going to have to explain them

• UnitedKingdomRacing (@unitedkingdomracing) said on 27th August 2011, 14:25

Have you seen the same coverage as we did? When Hamilton passed Maldonado in the first place his nose was already ahead on the way into the corner and Maldonado left the door wide open. I first thought he want to let Hamilton through but than he turned in as if he where alone on the track. I would bann him for that revenge move for at least a few races.

• Geordie Porker said on 27th August 2011, 14:26

TFLB – I hope you have more info than the rest of us, because it looked to me like MAL messed up in the final chicane and so HAM overtook him (with a little ‘nudge’ but you’d get away with it during the race, so why not quali?). Later, MAL looked for all the world as though he overtook HAM *just* to drive into him…a move which would get you black flagged in the race.

I’ll be interested to see the stewards view on this because they obviously have more information (including interviews with the drivers), but I can’t see a reason why HAM will be penalised.

Although…as I’ve said before, I’m a HAM fan, so maybe I’m a bit biased even when I try not to be.

• sebsronnie said on 27th August 2011, 16:31

Very interesting view…but quite simply wrong.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 27th August 2011, 17:04

From where I was sitting the session was over and Ham was cruising back to base when Maldonado surprised him by coming up fast behind him, Ham jinked left and as he corrected to straighten up Mal came past and swerved towards Ham resulting in the collision. Whether Maldonado intended contact or just wanted to cut Ham off I don’t know but as the car passing after racing finished he should have kept clear. A pity, I have been impressed with Maldonado but being a hot-blooded latino is no excuse .

3. Simon said on 27th August 2011, 14:16

Nice mixed up grid – could be a great one!

4. Adrian J said on 27th August 2011, 14:16

Senna 6th…

Who says he doesn’t deserve to be in the car?

5. Eggry (@eggry) said on 27th August 2011, 14:16

Ferrari and Mclaren had to stop Redbull hear but they failed…if race pace is the same, this year’s competition is virtually over.

• Ilanin said on 27th August 2011, 14:22

When was the last time race pace actually was the same as quali pace in F1? I think sometime in ’09 probably…

6. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 27th August 2011, 14:16

Congratulations to Vettel, he did a fantastic job in a circuit, which isn’t perfectly suited to RB7. Algersuari was incredible and Senna too did a great job outqualifying Petrov, Alonso wasn’t shining today though.

7. I think we can assume Maldonado won’t be on the grid. Or any others for that matter if it was up to me!

• I don’t want to make any presumptions about Maldonado deliberately turning into Hamilton just yet. We haven’t even seen any onboard footage.

• i think it was pretty obvious from the offboard footage. There’s no room for anything like that in any sport, let alone F1 where his actions put lives of his competitors and spectators in danger. I would remove his Super license.

• Sergio Perez said on 27th August 2011, 14:31

I’m a Hamilton fan, have defended him here in many occasions, but I didn’t like the way he also suddenly turned when Maldonado was to overtake him. This was immediately before Maldonado turned in on him. Of course Hamilton should have a much smaller punishment, like starting on the end of the grid, because what Maldonado did was endangering both their lives. Hamilton tried to give him a “scare”, or something. Childish from both, but Maldonado went beyond it.

• lubhz (@lubhz) said on 27th August 2011, 14:34

What was pretty obvious? Watch it carefully: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzixd6oewTw

• It kind of looks to me as if Hamilton wanted to return to the racing line, but Maldonado blocked his entry onto it.

• Geordie Porker said on 27th August 2011, 14:39

lubhz – that video looks pretty conclusive, doesn’t it? MAL went left while the track was going right. Seems to either assume HAM is going to stop or there’s going to be a collision.

There was LOADS of track room for him to continue without turning towards HAM.

HOWEVER…just seen the ‘flick’ by HAM and don’t know why he did that. But it looks as thought he moved right then changed his mind when he saw MAL – the change of mind makes the move look more severe than it could have….

Interesting…!!

8. Younger Hamii said on 27th August 2011, 14:18

Disgusted with Maldonado’s Move on Lewis,Very Very Dangerous regardless of the Speed a F1 Car,that has 2.4Ltire V8 Engines and can go up to 200 MPH or even beyond that.Clearly Immature & unnecessary.

He Deserves a Race Ban for that incident or at least a 10 Grid Penault,Demoting him to the Back.

9. What a stupidly disappointing day for Force India.. :/
    And what an utterly dumb move by Maldonado. He deserves a DQ for that.

10. Sam Binfield (@sam-binfield) said on 27th August 2011, 14:19

Another monumental cock-up by McLaren! When will they learn that on a drying track you have to be the last over the line in order to be fastest. Once again McLaren are costing themselves points through strategic and mechanical errors. Both drivers have made mistakes this season, but that does not compare to the losses caused by the team errors. Poor show.

On a lighter note, Senna!

11. BasCB (@bascb) said on 27th August 2011, 14:21

I hope the stewards will let those at the back race. For Maldonado, lets see what Mansell and Co make of that.

12. DavidS (@davids) said on 27th August 2011, 14:21

I know I’m going to be flamed for this, but
    The incident between Maldonado and Hamilton, to say that Hamilton wasn’t at least partially at fault is wrong.

Both drivers were on in-laps, as the session finished, Maldonado was ahead on track at that point, there was no reason for Hamilton to cross the track towards Maldonado.

Hamilton also did that flick before the incident, which is very unsporting and dangerous as well.

What’s clear is that Hamilton still thinks that it’s always the other guy’s fault.

• Nathan said on 27th August 2011, 14:27

Completely agree with you here.

What others also forget is that the track goes left there and maldonado couldn’t keep going straight on or he’d be in the concrete wall.

• Im sorry, but you are wrong. The “flick”, was Hamilton taking the racing line, before noticing Maldonado was being overly racy for an in lap and moving out the way. Then Maldonado swiped across Hamilton deliberately! simple as that, and Maldonado should get at least a 3 race ban.

• David A said on 27th August 2011, 14:31

Hamilton, having (rightfully) passed Maldonado at the end of his hotlap. was ahead coming out of La Source on the in-lap. Maldonado re-overtook Hamilton, snd made the contact. Haven’t seen onboards yet, but it looks so far as if either Pastor can’t control his car or his emotions.

Don’t even know why he should be so angry at Hamilton. It was Kovalainen holding up both Williams’.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 27th August 2011, 17:18

DavidS , you clearly saw it wrong, Hamilton was being passed by Maldonado, not vice-versa.

13. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 27th August 2011, 14:22

I’ll put a fiver on Maldonado getting a two-race ban and Nick Heidfeld racing for Williams at Monza.

14. Matty said on 27th August 2011, 14:25

Maybe give Pasta a stern talking to, but I,m not sure about taking him of the grid. Takes a car of the grid.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 27th August 2011, 14:30

You can’t just say “Oh, we’ll go easy on you because three cars qualified outside 107% and we want as many cars as possible to take part”. When Stefan Mucke deliberately crashed into Richard Westbrook at the RAC Tourist Trophy this year – under similar circumstances; it was retaliation for another incident – he took a ten-place grid penalty and was in danger of losing his racing licence.

• exactly, and losing his racing license imo would be a sufficient penalty. This is F1, the pinnacle of motorsport and that is simply unnacceptable!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 27th August 2011, 14:41

I think losing his racing licence completely would be a bit harsh. I’d say a two-race ban would teach him the lesson he needs to learn.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if Frank Williams pulled him out of the car for Monza if the FIA don’t.

• Geordie Porker said on 27th August 2011, 14:33

Matty,

Can see your point, but *if* it was deliberate then by NOT taking him off the grid, you’re saying that taking revenge at 100mph+ is ok…not a good example to set.

So the choice is to punish him severely to teach him and set and example, or accept deliberate accidents.

Of course…when the stewards have all the facts they may see it as 50/50 but I can’t help draw a conclusion from the reaction of both Brundle and Coulthard in commentary – they both seemed to think it was intentional

15. What does Alonso always make it difficult for himself?