Romain Grosjean has won the 2011 GP2 championship in today’s race at Spa-Francorchamps.
Grosjean, who is one of Renault’s third drivers, claimed the title by finishing in third place in the feature race. He has won the championship with three races still to run.
Grosjean started seventh in today’s feature race before working his way up to third early on.
But a lengthy interruption due to a crash involving Stefano Coletti and Mikhail Aleshin left just one lap to go when the race was restarted. Grosjean finished third behind winner Christian Vietoris and Jules Bianchi.
His title rivals Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde failed to finish.
Grosjean is the seventh GP2 champion and the first driver to win the title for DAMS.
He has been tipped to drive for Renault in some practice sessions before the end of the year. He previously drove for the team at the end of 2009.
2011 Belgian Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 Belgian Grand Prix
- In the Paddock Club and in the stands at Spa
- Leimer’s crash and in the pits at McLaren – fans’ videos from Spa
- 2011 Belgian Grand Prix: complete race review
- Vote for your Belgian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Newey relieved after “scariest race ever”
- McLaren: Button hit by debris in first-lap scare
- Ferrari: Harder tyres still the car’s weakness
- Mercedes: Schumacher climbs 19 places to fifth
- Renault: Petrov buoyed by R31 upgrades
Image ?é?® Drew Gibson/GP2 Media Service