Hamilton: “I was ahead and got hit”

2011 Belgian Grand Prix

Update: Hamilton has changed his view of this incident: Hamilton accepts blame for Kobayashi crash

Lewis Hamilton blamed Kamui Kobayashi for the crash that put him out of the Belgian Grand Prix.

Speaking after the crash he said: “I’m not really quite sure, to be honest. I hit the wall pretty hard.

“It’s a bit unfortunate, the team were in a good position.

“As far as I was concerned I was ahead of whoever it was I was racing and I got hit by them and that was my race over.

“That’s motor racing. There’s been a lot of races we haven’t finished this year so that’s just another one of them.”

Hamilton said his car had poor straight line speed which made it difficult to pass other cars:

“I think we were struggling. For whatever reason we were massively slow on the straights. Massively, massively slow.

“And I guess that’s what put us in that position. Everyone was just pulling away from me on the straights.

“I think we probably had a little too much downforce on.”

However he reckoned a top-three finish was possible:

“We were in a good position, we were still able to challenge. I got past one of the Ferraris, I think we could have at least got a podium.”

The stewards have taken no action over the collision.

Update: Here’s what Kobayashi had to say about the crash: “Regarding the accident with Lewis Hamilton, which happened when I was running in fourth, I knew perfectly well he was faster than me so had no reason to fight with him.

“After he overtook me it was not my intention to get my position back, so I stayed on my line and didn?t expect him to move over.”

2011 Belgian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Belgian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? McLaren

146 comments on Hamilton: “I was ahead and got hit”

1. Rasfilmon said on 28th August 2011, 14:56

I stoped wathing the race after that not just becuase the race will be pridictably boring, the whole nonesporting nonsense threatmentof LH by the FIA and fellow drivers who envy him for what he is (The Special One)

The question is why are the FIA leting down the sport’s integrity?

• james_mc said on 28th August 2011, 14:59

I’d have to say if it had been Hamilton on Kobayashi and Kobayashi had gone out, I think he would have had a drive-through or similar….

• Macca77 said on 28th August 2011, 15:09

Lol, the special one ? that’s Alonso or even Vettel (soon to be 2 times WDC), but Hamilton ? he is past his prime. Even Button is more consistent than LW.

2. InternetF1 said on 28th August 2011, 14:57

Why wasn’t there at least an investigation? You bet if it was other way around Hamilton would have got some sort of a penalty. FIA is a joke.

3. Stephen Jones (@aus_steve) said on 28th August 2011, 14:57

50/50 incident.. Hamilton caused the crash, but Kobayashi was putting his nuts on the table by holding his line..

can’t understand why anyone would say that Kobayashi should yield.. “ooh look! a big shiny Mclaren! I better get out, and let him carry on his merry way”..

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th August 2011, 15:49

Only reason for him to have yielded would have been realising Hamilton had not seen him so rather brake and save his wing then not brake and get damage.
      And if Hamilton had given a quick look in his mirror and seen Kobayashi he should have moved aside for the same reason.

Neither did, so that makes it a race incident that cost both a better result. Shame for them.

4. enjens (@joe6pac) said on 28th August 2011, 15:01

Koba was holding the outside because Ham was seriously slow even with his drs on, barely managing to pass on the straight. Why wouldn’t he stay on the outside?
    Ham has no right to run into other cars, this is not stock car racing.
    Claiming that someone hit him (Ham) is just ridiculous, watching the footage it is clearly Ham moving into Kob, who had nowhere to go.
    Happy that Ham is ok, but he needs to cool down and develop a better awareness of his race positon.

5. A racing incident.

6. You can count me as Ham’s hater in certain way. I think he’s really fast but need to know the limits.

Lewis makes this move almost every race. He pushes opponent towards the grass making him to back off. First time i’ve noticed it was Italy ’08 (or ’09 i’m not sure now). On the main straight he pushed several drivers to the grass and only Webber didn’t move. They collided, Mark took escape route and Lewis was ahead after.
    Stewards didn’t punish Hamilton then giving him carte blanche to such moves in the future.

In recent history such move was pulled by Buemi on Heidfeld in Germany. Buemi was punished btw. I think Lewis should have been penalized also.

I think Witmarsh’s position that Kobayashi should have backed off is just nuts. Mirrors are not just pretty sparkly things. They are installed for a reason.

• Mr draw said on 28th August 2011, 16:02

Do you mean Monza 2008 in the rain? I noticed Hamilton’s agressive defensive techniques too in that race.

7. mikeycool said on 28th August 2011, 15:02

This seems very similar to when Button squeezed into hamilton in canada, this time lewis was in Buttons position and Kobayashi in Hamiltons, but the same result, Hamilton retires. Just a racing incident i guess. Hamilton unlucky.

8. QuantumForce said on 28th August 2011, 15:06

Hamilton being one who likes to push limits, pushed it too far today..Kobayashi had the right to stay where he was..Its called racing for a reason

9. cooker said on 28th August 2011, 15:15

kobayashi and hamilton are both quite aggressive drivers im not suprised this happened :) well done to button though :D

10. djdaveyp85 (@djdaveyp87) said on 28th August 2011, 15:18

I think Lewis could have avoided this incident. I’m very disappointed. But Koba could have braked earlier as well. It was a racing incident.

• Kamui said to Japanese reporter that it might be very strange for him to brake at that time while he just simply went straight.

11. Aris (@aris) said on 28th August 2011, 15:20

Niki Lauda set things straight.
    In my point of view Lewis should have checked his mirrors. Kobayashi had every right to take a look at the outside, perhaps he wanted to put pressure on Lewis that he’s still there. It’s part of racing.

Racing incident 100%.

12. It’s never Hamilton’s fault, is it? He never admits blame. In this instance it was a racing incident, but if it had ended Kobayashi’s race Hamilton should have got a penalty for Monza. You just can’t take the racing line when a car is there, and Kobayashi wasn’t being over-aggressive, he was perfectly entitled top be there.

13. Lewis crashed and after that the race was boring, for me :P

14. mikeycool said on 28th August 2011, 15:37

Can people just relax, it was a racing incident. Thats it.

15. F1 98 said on 28th August 2011, 15:40

i just think hamilton just didn’t see kobayashi