Hamilton: “I was ahead and got hit”

2011 Belgian Grand Prix

Update: Hamilton has changed his view of this incident: Hamilton accepts blame for Kobayashi crash

Lewis Hamilton blamed Kamui Kobayashi for the crash that put him out of the Belgian Grand Prix.

Speaking after the crash he said: “I’m not really quite sure, to be honest. I hit the wall pretty hard.

“It’s a bit unfortunate, the team were in a good position.

“As far as I was concerned I was ahead of whoever it was I was racing and I got hit by them and that was my race over.

“That’s motor racing. There’s been a lot of races we haven’t finished this year so that’s just another one of them.”

Hamilton said his car had poor straight line speed which made it difficult to pass other cars:

“I think we were struggling. For whatever reason we were massively slow on the straights. Massively, massively slow.

“And I guess that’s what put us in that position. Everyone was just pulling away from me on the straights.

“I think we probably had a little too much downforce on.”

However he reckoned a top-three finish was possible:

“We were in a good position, we were still able to challenge. I got past one of the Ferraris, I think we could have at least got a podium.”

The stewards have taken no action over the collision.

Update: Here’s what Kobayashi had to say about the crash: “Regarding the accident with Lewis Hamilton, which happened when I was running in fourth, I knew perfectly well he was faster than me so had no reason to fight with him.

“After he overtook me it was not my intention to get my position back, so I stayed on my line and didn?t expect him to move over.”

2011 Belgian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Belgian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? McLaren

146 comments on Hamilton: “I was ahead and got hit”

1. SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 28th August 2011, 15:43

Hamilton moves to the right to defend the inside but then diagonals towards the corner turn in point, cutting Kobayashi off. But of course, Kobayashi could’ve slotted in behid Hamilton.

• Rohan said on 28th August 2011, 16:28

But why should Kobayashi slot in behind? He clearly thought that he had a chance of re-overtaking Hamilton and thus was well within his rights to stay on the outside.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 28th August 2011, 17:43

Although he says he didn’t want to fight for it, so maybe he could have taken a bit more space. But he also wasn’t being silly expecting HAM to leave him some space either. Sad for both.

• SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 28th August 2011, 22:08

True. I was just highlighting where each driver could’ve done something different.

But I don’t like all this coming back over on to the racing line to take the corner. THere isn’t enough side visibility these days for them to do that. Rubens did it to Ralf in Melbourne and sent him flying.

2. SennaNmbr1 (@sennanmbr1) said on 28th August 2011, 15:43

Hamilton moves to the right to defend the inside but then diagonals towards the corner turn in point, cutting Kobayashi off. But of course, Kobayashi could’ve slotted in behind Hamilton.

3. Nick24 (@nick24) said on 28th August 2011, 16:13

I’m a Hamilton fan, but i’m not going to say that it was Kobayashi’s fault, because it wasn’t.. it was simply a driving incident, i don’t understand why most people find it necessary to blame a certain driver. Hamilton simply did not see Kobayashi, and it was for position so Kobayashi had every right to fight for it.

• Valentino said on 28th August 2011, 16:26

I am not a Hamilton fan and I must say that he changed his trajectory twice, once defending, and twice moving on the racing line, where Kobayashi was.

• bearforce1 said on 28th August 2011, 16:43

I wish I could say as an excuse/reason if I caused an accident “I simply didn’t see them”.

4. BBT (@bbt) said on 28th August 2011, 16:43

It was clearly a racing incident.

I hate all this modern ‘blame culture’ why does anyone have to be to blame?

One thing that is beyond doubt is it robbed us of a more exciting end of the race.

5. soulmonkey said on 28th August 2011, 16:43

Looking at how much ppl blame Hamilton for everything and how he is always the wrong-doer… he should quit F1! Make all you guys happier. Let’s see just how much it affects the sport.

6. Mads (@mads) said on 28th August 2011, 16:45

If i have to put blame on anyone it has to be lewis, it was clearly him who moved into Kobayashi’s path. Kobayashi had nowhere to go, and Lewis just didn’t see him. Simple as that.
    I would like to see lewis admit it was his fault, but to his defense it was a mistake that was very easily done. He had to both look for the apex and his turn in point while checking his mirrors. Not easy.
    He should just have left enough space on the outside, so in case Koba was there he would have somewhere to go.
    But in my opinion, no need to penalize anyone, it was just a racing incident. No need for further action.

7. Oliver said on 28th August 2011, 16:58

If Hamilton is blamed for this incident I don’t see why Button can’t be blamed for Canada.
    Neither can I see why Glock can’t be blamed for Monza(When Vettel won for STR).
    Point is Hamilton will always have the blame whatever the outcome.
    Personally, it was just a racing incident, something you can blame on those very wide wings plus the extra width from Kobayashi’s front wing damage.

8. Dimitris 1395 (@) said on 28th August 2011, 17:03

Clearly a racing incident for me…

9. Total racing incident – both drivers will feel a bit sheepish in the morning it was unnecessary but one of those things that happens in racing

10. I think everyone was surprised to see Kamui still alongside Lewis after the DRS pass. Every other DRS pass we saw the overtaking driver just wheeled past and had plenty time to get back on the racing line. Lewis just got caught out by this and understandably just didn’t expect Kobayashi to still be there.

That said, Kamui had every right to be there, he didn’t turn in early and was on the outer edge of the track, what made the contact was Lewis moving over to the racing line.

This gives credence to Lewis’ argument that he was just slow on straights, a set up error putting on too much downforce for a dry race. This is what caught him out, he didn’t expect Kamui would be able to come back at him as Lewis had his DRS open. Just an unfortunate racing incident. Neither did anything ‘wrong’, Hamilton should have just kept his eye on Kamui and take a tighter line into that turn.

11. Hamiltons fault. There was no need to go back to the racing line. He didnt even know KK was there.

12. From Lewis’ Twitter Account a few moments ago:

“After watching the replay, I realize it was my fault today 100%. I didn’t give Kobayashi enough room though I thought in was past.”

“Apologies to Kamui and to my team. The team deserves better from me. Best wishes, Lewis”

13. Nick F said on 28th August 2011, 18:15

At a certain point not so long ago the people in formula one worked out that it made sense to make slightly heavy tough suspension that could take a few hits. Over a season it scored you more points even though maybe the car was slightly heavier and so slower.

The drivers because of the high sides to the cockpit can’t see what’s alongside and slightly behind them. Why don’t they fit a few small cameras and a little screen, or some kind of display to the helmet. …OK it’s more weight and it’s a bit complicated, but it might actually be worth it over a season.

…especially for Lewis at the moment. ;-)

[full disclosure: I'm a Hamilton fan]

14. TrophicIP said on 28th August 2011, 20:29

Hamilton got a lot of stick for going up the outside of Button in Canada when he was obviously faster. Today Kobiashi knew he was not faster than Hamilton as he said ,and was just passed, he had no reason being up the outside. However, as Hamilton said, his car was massively slow so perhaps, Kobi got up beside him without trying. Having passed Kobi, Lewis had no reason to believe Kobi would bu on his outside and going for the racing line is what he should have done. Taking the blame 100% is just a gentlemanly thing, especially because he knows he will be getting lots of criticism. I think you can hardly apportion blame, unless one expects Kobi to stop running altogether.