2011 Belgian GP team review
Timo Glock offered his apologies to Paul di Resta for hitting him at the first corner.
|Timo Glock||Jerome D’Ambrosio|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||2’09.566 (-2.035)||2’11.601|
Virgin drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Glock put a fresh set of intermediate tyres on for a final effort in qualifying, but ended up eight-tenths off Jarno Trulli in 20th. That became 19th after Pastor Maldonado was put back on the grid.
At the start he braked too late for the first corner and clattered into Paul di Resta, which he apologised for afterwards:
“It was a bad start to the race as I made a mistake into turn one. I hit the brakes, locked the front tyres and had no chance to avoid the crash with Paul Di Resta.
“Unfortunately I destroyed his car and his race a bit, so I have to say sorry for that – it was my mistake.”
He pitted to have the car checked and finished 17th behind his team mate.
Unlike his team mate, d’Ambrosio did not pit for fresh tyres during qualifying, and qualified 2.1s sower than his team mate as a result.
He was also outside the 107% time, but was allowed to start having been sufficiently quick in practice and due to the wet conditions in qualifying.
He emerged from the chaos at the first corner in front of the Lotus pair but was passed by both of them.
Late in the race he had to back off to save fuel: “It was the first time I ever had to do that so I had to try to adapt.”
2011 Belgian Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 Belgian Grand Prix
- In the Paddock Club and in the stands at Spa
- Leimer’s crash and in the pits at McLaren – fans’ videos from Spa
- 2011 Belgian Grand Prix: complete race review
- Vote for your Belgian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Newey relieved after “scariest race ever”
- McLaren: Button hit by debris in first-lap scare
- Ferrari: Harder tyres still the car’s weakness
- Mercedes: Schumacher climbs 19 places to fifth
- Renault: Petrov buoyed by R31 upgrades
Image ?é?® Pirelli
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others