2011 Belgian GP team review
Pastor Maldonado had a controversial Saturday but scored his first point on Sunday.
|Rubens Barrichello||Pastor Maldonado|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||2’07.349 (-0.757)||2’08.106|
Williams drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Barrichello was delayed by – what else – a KERS problem in practice. He qualified 14th and said he could have got into Q3 but was held up by traffic.
He lost a place at the start and was passed by Maldonado on the second lap – despite his team mate having started seven places behind him.
The pair swapped places later in the race while Barrichello was running tenth. But his last scheduled pit stop dropped him out of the top ten.
On lap 40 he ran into the back of Kobayashi at the chicane and had to pit for a new front wing. He came out of the pits behind the Lotuses but ran out of time to pass them and finished 16th.
Maldonado received a five-place grid penalty after a bizarre and completely unnecessary incident in qualifying. Having been passed by Lewis Hamilton at the end of his lap, Maldonado weaved into the side of Hamilton’s McLaren on their in-lap.
But he made rapid progress and was up to tenth by lap six. He kept Paul di Resta behind him in the middle of the race and was briefly up to ninth before behind passed by Felipe Massa.
He wasn’t close enough to capitalise on Vitaly Petrov’s last-lap drama but tenth gave him his first point in F1 and the first for Williams since Canada.
2011 Belgian Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 Belgian Grand Prix
- In the Paddock Club and in the stands at Spa
- Leimer’s crash and in the pits at McLaren – fans’ videos from Spa
- 2011 Belgian Grand Prix: complete race review
- Vote for your Belgian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Newey relieved after “scariest race ever”
- McLaren: Button hit by debris in first-lap scare
- Ferrari: Harder tyres still the car’s weakness
- Mercedes: Schumacher climbs 19 places to fifth
- Renault: Petrov buoyed by R31 upgrades
Image ?é?® Williams/LAT
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others