Renault and Heidfeld formally split

2011 F1 season

Nick Heidfeld, Renault, Nurburgring, 2011

Nick Heidfeld, Renault, Nurburgring, 2011

Renault and Nick Heidfeld have formally announced they have parted ways.

A statement released on Friday said the pair had reached “an amicable settlement” and split with immediate effect.

Team principal Eric Boullier said: “Our disagreement with Nick has been the subject of much media coverage lately, and we are pleased to have reached a swift and reasonable solution.

“Our separation process was already a painful one, and neither of us wanted to go through another legal hearing. We?re very grateful to Nick for the highly valuable contribution he?s made to the team. We certainly had good times together, in particular remembering our podium finish in Malaysia.

“He is a very strong and determined racer and we wish him every success in the future.”

Heidfeld said: “Obviously I?m disappointed to be leaving Lotus Renault GP in the middle of the season.

“I thought I could still make a big contribution to the team, but I have to see things as they are and I want to turn my attention to the future. We have taken the right decision by choosing to end our collaboration today.

“I would like to wish all the friends I made at Enstone a successful end to the season. One thing is for sure – I?ll be back racing at the highest level soon.”

Heidfeld joined the team at the start of the season to substitute for the injured Robert Kubica. Heidfeld was replaced by Bruno Senna at the Belgian Grand Prix.

Update: Renault have also announced Bruno Senna will continue to drive for them for the rest of the year

2011 F1 season


Browse all 2011 F1 season articles

Advert | Go Ad-free

80 comments on Renault and Heidfeld formally split

  1. But the Renault seems to be prone to legal wranglings lately :)
    I’ll just repeat myself from before, I don’t like the way Eric is managing the team. I’d fire him, bring in Sam Michael if possible. Renault should take a year off. Bring Toyota, Ford, Jaguar or even Peugot instead. :)

  2. Shimks said on 5th September 2011, 14:15

    Considering the Renault started the season strongly but went backwards since then, should Heidfeld take some of the blame for this? Maybe his input wasn’t good at all?

  3. vho (@) said on 6th September 2011, 8:48

    Nick started F1 in 2000 – same time as Jenson Button. He has yet to win a race in his 10 years in F1 (not 11 years as he lost his seat in 2010). 10 years in F1 is a considerable amount of time and one would expect some decent results, but instead his team mates have always moved on and achieved better results – re: Webber, Kubica, Raikkonen & Massa – all of which have won races. Honestly it’s time for Nick to hang up his F1 ambitions and look at IndyCar or DTM – he’ll likely to get more success out of those categories than against the current crop in F1.

  4. As much as I think Nick is a fantastic driver, and deserves to be in F1 over all these pay-drivers, the only team I think he could go to in 2012 would be Williams, replacing Barrichello, that way Williams would still get the sponsorship money from Maldonado and have an experienced driver…remember that Williams are using Renault engines from next year – maybe this has something to do with Renault and Heidfeld’s settlement – that he drives “at the top level soon” with the Williams team! Well here’s hoping!

Add your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

All comments must abide by the comment policy. Comments may be moderated.
Want to post off-topic? Head to the forum.
See the FAQ for more information.