2011 Italian Grand Prix result

10 Vitaly Petrov Renault 0 53 laps 1 lap Accident
23 Vitantonio Liuzzi HRT-Cosworth 0 53 laps 1 lap Accident

2011 Italian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Italian Grand Prix articles

39 comments on 2011 Italian Grand Prix result

1. Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 11th September 2011, 14:28

Great race, lots of action, and Button 2nd… Love it!

2. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th September 2011, 14:31

I think this race has really shown that Jenson Button is team leader at McLaren. Which is ironic, given that everyone thought he would be destroyed by Hamilton. Their respective battles with Schumacher really proved as much – Hamilton diced with the Mercedes for lap after lap, while Button just picked his moment, went for it, and stole the place away. I do get the sense that Hamilton is simply trying too hard: look at the way he over-extended himself into the first chicane as he lapped Buemi. It was completely unnecessary.

• Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 11th September 2011, 14:46

Mclaren don’t do team leaders (hence no team orders) but I’m sure the team now respect his consistency and pure class! I agree on the ‘Hamilton destroying Button’ theories… put this result in your mouths and eat it… the 2009 F1 DVD said it all: Not in a Hurry. Button has always been my man, and he’s delighted me today. Big likes to Vettel and Alonso, of course! Viva F1

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 11th September 2011, 14:52

Mclaren don’t do team leaders (hence no team orders)

If they want Hamilton to recapture his mojo, it might actually be a good idea. Let Button lead the team for the rest of the season, and let Hamilton focus on his racing. Take the pressure off him.

Still, Vettel can win the championship with victory in Singapore – so short of divine intervention, Hamilton won’t have to worry about fighting him for much longer.

• Trenthamfolk (@trenthamfolk) said on 11th September 2011, 22:19

I reckon that would work, if Hammy was up for it, which I doubt. The man has fire in his blood, and to race, not to race, will just not compute… Hats off to Mclaren, they’re in there, but vettel is just supreme. Good for him, and his finger!

• I am massive and i mean really massive JB fan.He had his moment today but i also remember China or Malesya where LH overtake someone easily and JB struggled for laps.So,best for MCL is to have two equal drivers until someone realy get’s the upper hand and stands much better in the championship.Wow i never ever thought that i will defend LH :)
      As i said after some previous races JB drives much better with lighter car so from about half of the race.How he can’t perform always 100% in saturdays it is mystery for me.He could be well second in the WDC this year with some better starting positions and of course better starts.He really struggled in last few races at the start.

• Yeah, Button did very well. even better than Hamilton. even though Hamilton has upper hand in qualifying, now Button has more race pace and intelligent moves. When they’re trying to pass Schumacher, it remind me Alonso and Massa. This time, Button is similar to Alonso, Hamilton is similar to Massa. Interestingly.

Last year, I criticized Button because he’s lack of pace and aggressive approach. Now he significantly improved that area while Hamilton barely improved though he’s still very fast.

• panache said on 11th September 2011, 15:48

As far as I’m concerned Button has had the better race pace on balance ever since he joined the team last year, it’s just taking many people a long time to finally realize/admit it.

I think the most common misconception that makes people think Hamilton is faster during the races is that we often see Button hanging back behind the lead group in the early stages of the race. Button intelligently paces himself in the early stages whilst Hamilton more often than not goes flat out from lap one of the race to the end.

Then add in the factor of Hamilton regularly crashing out early on before Button starts upping his pace and it is easy to see why people assume that if he had remained in the race he would be the faster driver of the two.

• PM I think in this case LH was just the opposite, being determined not to be involved in an incident made him to tentative.

3. It’s amaizing Vettel is now the ONLY driver in the grid to have finished every single race this season (appart from De La Rosa and Karun, ofc…)

4. He did a golden grand slam today. Taking it away from Alonso at SGP.

Pole. Led all laps and fastest lap and victory.

5. tattsbrah (@xbarrettmatex) said on 11th September 2011, 14:35

He didn’t get fastest lap?

6. JamesA10 said on 11th September 2011, 14:43

I take it all back. The kid can drive. I think after today he showed that a race is a race and he is going to win. A brilliant drive from him. Not his biggest fan but man it was drive.

As for that Mclaren number one comment. Hmmm while I don’t agree with you, I can see where you have a point. I’m still trying to understand how Button got it done in one move.

I think it’s safe to say today though that Hamilton wasn’t his usual self. Slow off the line. Slow after safety car. Less aggressive moves.

But I give it to Button. Well done man.

7. Mounters said on 11th September 2011, 14:48

Who did get the fastest lap?

8. Very good drive by Alonso in a much slower car than the Mclarens and RB to finish 3rd.

Its amazing that he is once again in second place in the championship even with all the odds stacked against him.

9. raymondu999 (@raymondu999) said on 11th September 2011, 15:09

For Sebastian to clinch the title in Singapore!!
    If he wins;
    Fernando has to finish 4th, maximum
    Jenson/Webber has to finish 3rd, maximum (If either finishes 2nd though; that means Vettel just has to take 1 point on them again)

If he comes 2nd;
    Fernando has to finish 8th, maximum (yeah right; like Nando will finish 8th in Singapore)
    Jenson/Webber has to finish 5th, maximum
    Hamilton can’t win

If he comes 3rd;
    Fernando has to finish 9th, maximum
    Jenson/Webber has to finish 7th, maximum

If he comes 4th;
    Fernando has to finish 10th, maximum
    Jenson/Webber has to finish 8th, maximum

If he comes 5th, no title yet.

No matter what happens, Lewis must finish ahead of Sebastian to stay in the championship hunt.

10. The top 3 were all superb today. It looked bad for Ham when JB breezed by Schumi on the first attempt but by that time Schumacher’s tyres looked done for but overall it was a very good drive by Button. Massa made an excellent recovery. I’m really happy for Bruno and Paul that they got some points. Enigma and Katy you were right Jaime was brilliant today-there I said it.

• vho (@) said on 11th September 2011, 16:08

Jaime wasn’t that great as he’d gained 7 places at the first corner incident. At least 4 cars ahead of him were taken out.

• vho (@) said on 11th September 2011, 16:17

And it was likely that other cars were more hampered by the incident than Jaime was. E.g Barrichello got wedged between Nico’s and Vitaly’s cars but his car was still able to continue.

• He just got lucky but you can’t blame him..

• Massa made an excellent recovery.

Do you really think it? He was obviously upset after the tangle, and passed quickly many cars (that’s what I want to see). However, when he was behind Button, and later Hamilton, who were held up by Schumacher, he kept losing time lap by lap. Smedley told him on the radio to push for this reason, but he couldn’t do better than those ahead of him, when Alonso was faster than Schumacher.

• Copnsidering where he ended up I think he did do a good job Fixy. He maybe could have pushed harder at that part and I’d have liked to see him 5th but considering everything I think it was a good comeback.

Jaime was lucky with the first corner I admit but I also thought he did a good job of managing his race. Heading down to T1 ahead isn’t as important as it once was.

11. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 11th September 2011, 19:12

Liuzzi is missing from the standings I think Keith.

A great result for STR, especially Alguersuari.

A truly crushing victory from Vettel. The gap he was able to pull out so early on and so convincingly was superb. Apart from the start where he got a bit swamped he was flawless.