Rate the race: 2011 Italian Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Italian Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (0%)
  • 2 (0%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (4%)
  • 6 (10%)
  • 7 (26%)
  • 8 (36%)
  • 9 (15%)
  • 10 (6%)

Total Voters: 439

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

2011 Italian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Italian Grand Prix articles

208 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Italian Grand Prix

1. Mild7nick (@mild7nick) said on 11th September 2011, 15:18

I think these people on here moaning about another Vettel win are not real racing fans, yes we would all prefer a close battle but you cannot deny pure talent.

Its not Vettel’s fault is it, Mclaren and Ferrari need to get their act together thats all, it was the same when Senna was dominating and did anyone moan about that?

If you dont like it, dont watch it!

• S.Vettel said on 11th September 2011, 15:28

Well said.

• Senna never had a dominant season like Seb or Schumacher. He always had stiff competition from Prost and Mansell.

• Cristian (@cristian) said on 11th September 2011, 15:38

Even when he clearly had the best car like in 1990.

• I think there is some merit in Luca Di Montezemolo’s comments about in season testing. The ban means that teams, who are playing catch up, are restricted in what they can do to develop their car during the season.

I think we would have seen Ferrari and Mclaren close the gap to RBR, if not eradicate it, had in season testing been allowed. We would have seen a much more competitive season after the opening races as a result.

F1 is a big money sport, IMO it’s a pretty convoluted argument to suggest that the in season testing ban is to ensure that the smaller teams are not disadvantaged due to their own financial restrictions. At the end of the day those smaller teams managed to get a formula one standard car to race in F1.

The ban just means that the pressure to develop the car and get it right first time is concentrated and limited to the few months before the start of the season. This also disadvantages the smaller teams because again they don’t have the same resources available to the big teams that would enable them to get the job done in the narrow time frame.

I would say if in season testing was re-introduced then we would see a much more competitive championship.

• Are you sure in season testing would mean Ferrari and McLaren catching up and not just RB sorting out their KERS and high drag issues out much faster then they have done?
            There was in season testing when Schumacher won everything for Ferrari, and the result was the longest period of domination in F1′s history.
            Whether or not it was because of in season testing i don’t know, but at least it proves that there is no guarantee for the others catching up just because they are allowed to test.

• @mads

Yes, because I think Red Bull’s strengths are in getting it right first time and having the optimum aero package to build on from the beginning. I think Newey, in particular, is the kind of designer who doesn’t like to revisit or redesign any major aspect of the car that would impair the overall aero package. We saw this with his insistence on sticking with the Renault engine at a time when the Mercedes engine was ahead. So the ban on in season testing suits the Red Bull technical team’s mentality of sticking with and building on their initial development.

Whereas Ferrari have previously excelled with the progress and radical changes they often made during past seasons, based on the sheer amount of money they can plough into sorting their car out, hence as you rightly point out Ferrari dominance when in season testing was allowed.

I just think in season testing would allow all of the top teams to play to their individual strengths and would push the rate of development for all teams.

• @Spectator so what you are saying is they should bring back in season testing to hinder RB?
            I am not sure i agree with the concept of introducing new rules to stop a singe team.

But generally i agree that in season testing would be good, but i think it should be kept at a minimum still. So the teams are still required to be good at deciding what concepts and designs they want to test and what they actually need to test on the track instead of in the wind tunnel. So they cant just, as you say, plough through hundreds of different components week after week like Ferrari once did, also to keep the costs at a reasonable level.

• flowerdew (@flowerdew) said on 11th September 2011, 19:26

@mads

In-season testing wouldn’t hinder Red Bull. It would not make their initial design any less brilliant nor their initial advantage any less commanding. In-season testing, though, would allow all teams to make stronger developments to their cars during the season, with the positive being that no team can gain such an advantage from their initial car design that no other team stands a chance of finding an answer while there’s still the possibility of catching up, like we’ve seen this year. The negative is that some teams (Ferrari) have almost unlimited testing resources (do I understand correctly that in order to get the in-season testing date added next year, Ferrari is agreeing to shoulder some of the costs for the smaller teams to attend?), and so like it or not, many of the smaller teams are practically limited to the car out of the box, even if theoretically they wouldn’t be.

And Red Bull would be allowed (and are financially able) to improve their car just like any other team. “Hindering” Red Bull would be asking them to carry extra weight, or to start three places back on the grid, or to run a sub-standard wing because the one they showed up with is just too clever. You can’t argue that allowing testing “hinders” Red Bull, unless you feel that removing the hindrance from other teams is itself somehow a hindrance.

Kind of an aside: probably most everyone saw the Charlie Booker BBC-4 vs F1 Guardian article a little bit back. Someone made a comment in the mess of discussion there along the lines that there was no situation in the world that sport alone had improved. You can go back and forth on that, I suppose, but it seems to me that of all sports, F1 makes the strongest argument against it, simply from the sheer amount of technical knowledge it passes on. Better cars, sure. But also stronger silverware, more durable clothing, more advanced medical equipment, lighter tennis shoes, whatever: the testing and development done in F1 provides an astounding amount of practical good to such wide and unpredictable swathes of human life. That reason alone seems enough to justify lifting the testing and developmental restrictions on the teams, even if you don’t enjoy the mobile cutthroat science fair aspect of the sport (and I very much do.)

• 1991.

• I think these people on here moaning about another Vettel win are not real racing fans

I think people NOT moaning about Vettel is not racing fans. There WAS no racing.

I agree that it is not Vettel’s fault though. He’s just doing his job, and doing it very good, but interesting to watch? Not even close.

• Correction: “There WAS no racing”… for the lead.

• Yes there was. Racing don’t necessarily means that it has to be close. They were on the same track fighting for the same goal. I think that is enough to describe it as racing.
        Anyway saying that there was no racing for the lead is not really correct is it? I will say that Vettel putting two wheels on the grass to retake the lead from Alonso was pretty exciting and very close racing.

• themagicofspeed (@) said on 11th September 2011, 17:16

+1. This season has been less interesting than watching a mouldy breadbun rotting.

• Yes , in Senna’s day people had an attitude of gratitude , and appreciated life for what it was , watching an F1 race was just a pleasurable thing , which it still is to me , but when I read some interesting comments is nice , but unfortunately most are a pack of “new age” whiners , going on about the “unfair” battle between MSC and LH (although it added great excitement to the race , I thought) , Vettel “running away with the race….” (again , he has a good car , uses it to the max , and for that is a pleasure to watch him win – isn’t that what’s supposed to be done?)

2. Destiny said on 11th September 2011, 15:23

If I recall correctly, Lewis was penalised for a more than one move blocking maneuver on Alonso earlier in the season – how does Schumacher’s move differ? I am really tired of the double standards in F1. According to Eddie Jordan, it is ok to show aggression on the track if you are Michael Schumacher and get away with it, because that is his way.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th September 2011, 15:24

Because Schumacher deviated from the racing line and returned towards it.

Whereas Hamilton deviated from the racing line, returned towards it, then deviated again.

• bearforce1 said on 11th September 2011, 15:28

Thanks Keith, that makes it clear and simple.

• He must have been doing something wrong if the stewards felt it necessary to prompt Ross to advise his driver.

We all heard the message from Ross.

It’s simply unfair that they ‘advise’. The teams know the rules, if they make a mistake, the are punished. Not ‘advised’ and given a second chance.

But Mclaren had contacted the race director / stewards to take some form of action against Schumacher. My guess is the stewards felt he was not in breach of the rules, otherwise he would have received a penalty without a warning being necessary. Breaking the rules is breaking the rules, you don’t get second chances or warnings.

However, I suspect Mclaren went on to argue that Schumacher was driving “dangerously” when he forced Hamilton onto the grass. Hence the team were told to issue Schumacher with a warning asking him to give Hamilton enough room at that chicane.

I too am surprised at the BBC pundits’ blinkered view of this incident.

3. 8 for me.
    A great race all round, and totally heart stopping to begin with. Vettel on the outside of Alonso through Curva Grande with two wheels on the grass. Wow.
    Hamilton vs Schumi was also a great battle and provided as much entertainment as one could ever want for the first half of the race.
    Vettel running away with it was a little boring, but at least it was unexpected to see him have one of his most dominant wins on a track that generally is very bad for RB.
    Sadly the battles died out by the end of the race and that was a bit of a shame. Hamilton hunting down Alonso was good, but it was a bit of a long shot.

4. Cristian (@cristian) said on 11th September 2011, 15:23

Great race! In the past few months, Schumacher was much better than Rosberg. He put a great defense against Lewis today, but it seems Hamilton should take some tips on overtaking from his teammate. He did in one move what the other couldn’t half the race. At least he didn’t crash this time, which is something , since both Lewis and Schumi have been crash prone this year.

• Atticus said on 11th September 2011, 15:33

He is still a few tenth of a second off the pace of nico, but he tends to get his act together for races nowadays.

It’s kind of like Lewis and Jenson. Lewis edged Jenson again this time around, but it’s safe to say Jenson is having a smoother, yielding season.

I tended to rate Lewis higher, and part of me still does, but overall I must say all in all they are equally excellent.

I believe McLaren and Mercedes have got the best of driver pairings in Lewis-Jenson and Nico-Michael. Force India is a close third, where Adrian, Paul and Nico (Hulkenberg) is three magnificent talent.

5. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 11th September 2011, 15:39

8 for Schumacher and Hamilton epic struggle. Without it it would be just your average Monza.

6. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 11th September 2011, 15:41

After a half-disappointing race in Budapest, a disappointment in Spa, and good pace shown in free practice, I had huge expectations for McLaren here in Monza, and once again I ended up disappointed!

The race itself had an awful start : when I saw the HRT flying sideways towards the pack of cars, I was alarmed and sensed something awful is going to happen. The crash produced a great shock for me,which lasted for a couple of laps. It was a bit of a relief to see that no one was injured.

Then, as I said the race was a disappointment : you could sense that McLaren had the same pace than Vettel, but thanks to a bad start, my favourite drivers couldn’t challenge Vettel for the lead : Button had dropped far behind, and Hamilton became stuck behind a car which was extremely hard to overtake, and which made Lewis put his tyres under great pressure (which made him slower than Button when he arrived to pass Schumacher).

But the race wasn’t a bad one : the chaos at the start produced great battles in the midfield. It was fun seeing Button storming through the field, Senna getting some points, and Di Resta showing good pace. A pity Rosberg and Petrov didn’t race : they could have shown something interesting. The DRS might not been very effective for some people, but it had the effect I want it to have : being able to get cars close to each other, but leaving overtaking being a matter of skills and guts. In a way, the DRS has saved the race : without it, we wouldn’t have so much very impressive overtakings in Monza.

I hesitated between 7 and 8, but picked 8 eventually.

7. Gave it an 8.
    It was a great race to watch. And, pardon me for being a bit cynical, but today we saw certain Michael Schumacher showed certain Lewis Hamilton how to race really hard on the edge without being stupid. I think this is one of the reasons Lewis looked a bit lost during post-race interview, Schumacher got to him. That was a masterpiece of champion’s racecraft. But the main reason i guess was the beating that Button gave him again today – Jenson was perfect today, again. I just loved watching that. And Vettel’s pass on Alonso was one of the best moves of the year, make no mistake about that. Wonderful race, shame it wasn’t for the win which was out of everybody’s reach, except double world champion Sebastian Vettel.

8. budchekov (@budchekov) said on 11th September 2011, 15:55

7……Was worth getting up at 5am…….barely.
    Once again nothing much going on at the sharp end in the second half, would have been interesting to see one more lap, adios Alonso from the podium?

• I know, it wasn’t the best race of the season, but i really loved it. The italian gp is always a special event for me, as an italian person and as a Vettel fan.
      The first half of the race was simply amazing, Alonso’s start, Vettel’s pass with two wheels on the grass, the battle between Schumacher and Hamilton.. I thought that my heart couldn’t take all that.
      The second half was more boring, but the last lap for me were incredible. Vettel getting closer and closer to the victory and Hamilton doing the same with Fernando Alonso, shame that there wasn’t a real battle in the end.
      Then I was almost crying with Vettel in the podium. Seeing a german showing with a little bit of pride the number 150 on his helmet was very special, too.
      I gave 9/10. You’ll probably say that it’s too much compared to other races, but i’ve never felt this way before in a formula 1 race.

9. carldec said on 11th September 2011, 16:16

Almost every race this year has been great. Monza was no exception. Totally entertaining.

I thought Red Bull running away with things would make this season boring, but if anything this has been almost as good as last year with 5 drivers in contention. Since 2006 Formula One has been in a golden age of fun, interesting and entertaining racing.

10. It really perplexes me that people can possibly say that Formula 1 is “rubbish” or “boring” simply because Vettel regularly wins at the moment. It might just be me, but the constant battling further back leaves me very satisfied… and even those battles may lead to collisions and Safety Car periods which would pin Vettel back (albeit artificially).

Formula 1 is the most exciting sport in the world, whoever is winning.

• I agree. In 2010 the races were boring but the championship was really exciting. This year the championship is dead and buried, but the races are still very exciting. And they will keep being exciting when the championship is mathematically sealed. I know what i prefer.

11. Abuelo Paul (@abuello-paul) said on 11th September 2011, 16:38

Upsetting start with Liuzzi losing control but fortunately no-one injured. So disappointed for Petrov and Rosberg. Cracking first 5 laps, and many interesting laps with battles happening all down the line… until about lap 30. Then it was more or less cut and dried. Excellent drives by Jaime and Schumicheal. As always Jenson cheekily wandering through to the front end, and Lewis, predictably getting hotter than his exhaust.
    All in all an entertaining race, as it should be. But Mr Webber, what a silly boy. You should have known better mate.

12. soulmonkey said on 11th September 2011, 16:39

I would give this race a 7.

Congratulations to Vettel for putting it together and coming out on top, once again.
    At the start of the race it was clear to me that his car was much faster than those around him. It was just a matter of time before he got to the front and put a cushion in place.

Hamilton is definitely the bad boy of F1 right now. Even in races where he is calm and more calculated he still gets the brunt of criticisms. I agree with those that say that if Brawn had to intervene then MSC was doing something unacceptable. However, I like the fact that no penalty was given and Hamilton was forced to think about how to overcome such obstacles. In the future, more teams will be more closely match and Hamilton has to find a way to match instinct with calculation and come out on top. In the end I think he drove well to accomplish what he wanted to. Kudos for that! If he had tried Button’s banzai move on MSC and touched, the results would have been far more damaging for him.

13. 8 for me. Second half was a bit dull admittedly and if we’ve had a couple of more laps it might’ve been exciting to see Lewis vs Fernando and Senna vs Di Resta.

Since when do you see 5 WDCs actually racing in the Top 5? Would be good to know from those stats boffins if this has happened before!

Vettel deserves more credit now with his great overtake and stunning race pace. For those who kept up with live timings he was lapping at least 0.6-0.8s faster than anybody else when he pulled away from Alonso. And he pitted later than the others for tyres. Undoubtedly driver of the weekend in “RBR’s weakest track”. He can quite easily win all of the remaining races (as he could have done last season) and be the first driver other than Schumacher to win more than 9 races in a season.

Great race from Alonso outperforming his car once again and is now amazingly 2nd in the WDC standings in what is definitely the 3rd fastest car out there.

Schu did brilliantly again with his start and to stay at the sharp end as long as he did.

Great overtaking again from Button, though another case of what could have been if he’d had a better start and problems getting up to pace early on in the race.

Hamilton was rather lacklustre. Clearly caught napping on the restart which spoiled his race with being stuck being Schu for so long. Little tentative with overtaking Schu in comparison to Jenson. Seemed content just to get to the end of a race.

DRS seemed to have done its job – that is to get closer to car in front to cancel out the turbulent air yet not make it to easy to drive past a car because of it.

Agree with the above comment that it’s perplexing that people think the season is boring because Vettel is winning all the time. That’s like saying watching the Premier League/La Liga is boring when Man Utd wins all the time when not looking at individual matches and the drama/tension they create. Having watched F1 for the last 15 years I can say that this is better racing-wise than last season when overtaking was near impossible.

14. Schumacher made a show!!

15. Matty55 said on 11th September 2011, 16:45

8. Some gutsy driving out there today. Ha my heart in my mouth watching Vettel and Alonso! Great battle between Hamilton and Schumacher. Good performance again by Button. Shame about Rosberg I was looking forward to seeing how his strategy would work out against Schumacher’s. Very high rate attrition today as well.