2011 Italian GP team review
Focussing on race set-up paid off again for Jaime Alguersuri.
|Sebastien Buemi||Jaime Alguersuari|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q1)||1’25.164 (-0.17)||1’25.334|
Toro Rosso drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
|Pit stop 1||Soft 24.234s|
|Pit stop 2||Medium 24.086s|
Crashed at Parabolica early in second practice but out-qualified his team mate for 16th on the grid.
Buemi suspected damage from the first-corner accident slowed his car during the race.
He was passed by Bruno Senna and Paul di Resta in the closing stages and went off at the Rettifilio chicane at one point.
|Pit stop 1||Soft 21.988s|
|Pit stop 2||Medium 22.279s|
After reaching sixth in qualifying in Spa, Monza was some of a reality check. Alguersauri was eliminated right at the end of Q1, admitting “my lap was simply not quick enough”.
He climbed to 11th on lap one and briefly got in front of Felipe Massa before being re-passed by the Ferrari driver.
On lap 18 he capitalised on the battling Sergio Perez and Pastor Maldonado to pass both of them for seventh place.
He came out of his final pit stop ahead of Paul di Resta who wasn’t able to catch the Toro Rosso before the end of the race, leaving Alguersuari a career-best seventh.
“I am very happy with my race today,” he said afterwards. “I think I would like to start even further back on the grid for the next one, because it seems that whenever I have a poor grid position, I finish in the points!”
2011 Italian Grand Prix
- Sebastian Vettel named Driver of the Weekend for Monza
- Rate the race result: 2011 Italian Grand Prix
- FIA steward Daly says Schumacher should have had penalty
- 2011 Italian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your Italian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Vettel poised to clinch second title
- McLaren: Button leads Hamilton home again
- Ferrari: Alonso admits “the title is gone”
- Mercedes: Schumacher fifth after Hamilton battle
- Renault: Senna claims first points finish
Image © Red Bull/Getty images