Liuzzi’s crash held up Barrichello but helped Maldonado, but neither Williams scored.
|Rubens Barrichello||Pastor Maldonado|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q2)||1’24.648 (-0.078)||1’24.726|
Williams drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
|Pit stop 1||Medium 29.157s|
|Pit stop 2||Soft 23.414s|
Williams were clearly unhappy with their performance on Friday – not for the first time this year Barrichello had little more to say than “we weren?óÔé¼Ôäót fast enough today”.
He headed his team mate on row seven at the start, but after getting away way became embroiled in the first-corner chaos: “I had a brilliant start, gaining three or four positions as we headed into the first corner, but then I saw an HRT come past.
“I was lucky he didn?óÔé¼Ôäót hit me but I was then in the middle of the action and so had to stop the car. I didn?óÔé¼Ôäót hit anyone, but when [Nico] Rosberg started to move he hit my nose, it was a difficult situation.”
He had to pit for repairs and recovered to finish 12th, 15 seconds behind Maldonado.
|Pit stop 1||Soft 23.063s|
|Pit stop 2||Medium 22.614s|
The usual Williams KERS problems cost Maldonado time in final practice.
Qualifying almost came to an early end for him when he hit the barrier at the inside of Parabolica halfway through Q1. Fortunately the damage was limited to a broken front wing – once repaired, he made it though to Q2.
While Barrichello’s race was ruined by the collision at the first corner, Maldonado profited from it. The subsequent tangle between Felipe Massa and Mark Webber allowed him briefly up to sixth.
However he lost out to Paul di Resta, who he passed earlier on, at the first pit stops, and also Jaime Alguersuari.
His pace in the middle stint wasn’t as good and Sebastien Buemi passed him on lap 24 and Bruno Senna did likewise six laps later.
After his final pit stop he fell back behind di Resta for good and finished out of the points in 11th.
2011 Italian Grand Prix
- Sebastian Vettel named Driver of the Weekend for Monza
- Rate the race result: 2011 Italian Grand Prix
- FIA steward Daly says Schumacher should have had penalty
- 2011 Italian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your Italian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Vettel poised to clinch second title
- McLaren: Button leads Hamilton home again
- Ferrari: Alonso admits “the title is gone”
- Mercedes: Schumacher fifth after Hamilton battle
- Renault: Senna claims first points finish