Derek Daly says Michael Schumacher should have been given a penalty for his driving at Monza.
The former F1 racer was the drivers’ advisor to the stewards during the Italian Grand Prix.
Schumacher was criticised for his moves while racing with Lewis Hamilton.
In a statement Daly said: “On lap 20, race director Charlie Whiting asked the stewards to look at an incident between [Felipe] Massa and [Jarno] Trulli at the second chicane.
“While looking at the slow motion video of this incident, I missed the Schumacher/Hamilton incident that happened at that moment.
“When I looked at it again at home, I believe that Schumacher should have been given a drive-though penalty. He was warned repeatedly and this style of driving is not what you want the future generation of drivers to perfect.
“We as stewards probably let Charlie down with this one.”
Hamilton overtook Schumacher on lap 27, and finished fourth with the Mercedes driver fifth.
2011 Italian Grand Prix
- Sebastian Vettel named Driver of the Weekend for Monza
- Rate the race result: 2011 Italian Grand Prix
- FIA steward Daly says Schumacher should have had penalty
- 2011 Italian Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your Italian GP driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Vettel poised to clinch second title
- McLaren: Button leads Hamilton home again
- Ferrari: Alonso admits “the title is gone”
- Mercedes: Schumacher fifth after Hamilton battle
- Renault: Senna claims first points finish
Image ?é?® Daimler