Furious Massa hits out at Hamilton after crash

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Singapore, 2011

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Singapore, 2011

Felipe Massa said Lewis Hamilton “could have caused a big accident” in their collision during the Singapore Grand Prix.

The Ferrari driver referred to their run-in during qualifying yesterday, saying: “My thoughts is that again, I told you yesterday, he cannot use his mind. Even in qualifying, so you can imagine in the race.

“So, again, you know, what he did could have caused a big accident. And he’s paying for it, that the problem, he doesn’t understand, even paying for a problem, you know?

“Anyway, the problem was that I was in the middle so I had a puncture in my tyre and I pay a lot. I was not even lucky on the safety car because I’d stopped for the super softs in that moment to gain lap time.

“But them after five laps, six laps, the safety car came inside, and I had the wrong tyres to finish the race. So I was not very lucky as well with the strategy.

“And also, again, something happened with a guy who did how many times something with me this year? So many times.

“As I said it’s important the FIA is looking and penalising him all the time he is going in the car because he cannot think about it.”

Massa confronted Hamilton while the McLaren driver was conducting a television interview after the race.

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Singapore Grand Prix articles

Image ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo

323 comments on Furious Massa hits out at Hamilton after crash

1 4 5 6
  1. djdaveyp87 said on 26th September 2011, 11:34

Lewis Hamilton was a fault for the crash, but Felipe blew the whole thing out of proportion. We have seen that type of collision so many times since they changed the dimensions of the front wing in ’09. This wasn’t a ‘Lewis Hamilton driving too aggressively and dangerous’ accident, Lewis had pulled out of the overtake and was trying to filter in behind. Felipe Massa is just sour about everything that makes his already mediocre performances worse.

At the end of the day, Felipe has 100 less points than his team mate, yet Lewis only has 17 less despite his retirements. That is the reason Felipe is trying to switch the attention away from himself.

Personally, I feel as much as Lewis was at fault for the collision it was just a racing incident and no penalty was deserved. The stewards have been getting far too involved this season and it is getting to the point where pretty much every incident is under investigation. Do we really want races settled off the track?

Little incidents like this shouldn’t be what the stewards investigate as it is just a result of close racing. Nobody was having a lunge or driving dangerously in this situation. They’ve implemented the new points system and drs to make people overtake more and then they are penalising people when they try this, I feel it is really hypocritical of the sport.

People keep pointing the finger at Lewis this season. Personally I am disappointed with his results, but as much as his problems in Monaco and Canada deserved criticism, His last 2 problems have just been genuine mistakes that any other driver would make due to the design constraints of the car and the lack of vision the drivers have.

Look at Alonso with Button in Canada, totally Alonsos fault, yet if Hamilton was where Button was there would have been Hammy bashing galore on here.

Yes Lewis has made mistakes this season, but so have others. They’re just not on the radar as much.

2. beltabry (@beltabry) said on 26th September 2011, 11:54

I got into F1 in the 2007 season because of Hamilton, his driving style finally brought some much needed excitement into the sport, and ever since I have been a big fan of F1 and Hamilton, I never miss a session, but sadly I have to agree with massa here, F1 is far too dangerous, you just have to look at how many injuries there has been in the last few years because of careless driving from the likes of hamilton, I can only go as far back as 2007, which is more than enough anyway, but we have had the serious injury to massa in 2009, oh wait no, that was because of a part falling off a brawn car and bouncing up off massas helmet. Ok, so you have kubicas crash then, he’s been out all season and has had to have serious surgery, oh wait, that wasn’t through F1, that was rallying wasn’t it. Ok then, look at kubicas crash in 2007, that was a horrible one! but wait, no, that wasn’t through dangerous driving was it, plus he was only out for one race just to be on the safe side, he wanted to race. fine then, what about webbers injury in 2008 when he broke his leg! oh god i’v done it again havn’t I, that was a cycling injury wasn’t it! Well even so, I still agree with massa, its just too dangerous, which is why I have came up with some great ideas for formula 1 which I hope the fia will have a serious look into. first of all, for qualifying, all the cars going out together is ridiculous, very dangerous, so let them go out 1 by 1, it might take a long time, but come on, safety first guys. Next on race day, we need to stop overtaking, its far too dangerous, instead they should all drive round in single file atleast 3 seconds behind the car in front, and if anyone gets any closer than that, lets give them a penalty at the end of the race, 25 seconds for everyone except hamilton, who should have 50 seconds because he is extra dangerous and we need to stop him from being exciting before too many people start watching formula 1, which is why I totally agree with the stewards giving hamilton all these penalties when they wouldn’t normally give them to anyone else. but this just isn’t far enough, it still needs to be safer, which is why they should remove the tires, have a railway track on the track, and have the cars drive round on the railway on there wheel rims, how safe is that!!! that will get rid of loads of crashes! and finally, why no rap all the cars and drivers in bubble wrap, this way even if something goes wrong, they won’t even break a nail! Now personally I think these ideas are just genius, and I hope the FIA look into it and bring them into force, please, let me know what you think?
    Next I would like to get in touch with other sports, like football, its far too dangerous, they need to stop all tackles, and instead just allow each team to take turns on going up field and shooting. Next golf, the balls need to stop coming off the ground, it will cause serious injury if it hits someone, all shots should be played along the floor and if it comes off the floor at all, they should be disqualified. Then theres darts, please people, how dangerous is that, all it takes is someone to hit the wire, the dart to bounce back and stab someone, ridiculously dangerous, use magnets instead! And then there is rugby, don’t even get me started on that sport, ban it altogether!!! Seriously people, I’m all for excitement in life, but SAFETY FIRST

• zenman1 (@zenman1) said on 26th September 2011, 16:42

HAHAHA…when I startewd reading I thought Oh no, here we go with another one, but your little piece had me in absolute tears of laughter. Nice to see some good clean unabusive sarcasm, for a change.
      Yes safety is paramount in a sport that has 24 vehicles screaming round a track at 320Kph, all trying to get the best they can achieve on the day. But if we think for one minute there will not be some near misses, close calls, and extremely hair raising moments then we may aswell stop now. Compare the sport as is today, to that of 40-50 years ago and there is no comparison, there was hardly a season went by without at least one death. Whilst there have been deaths in other formula of car, F1 itself has not thankfully seen one since Senna, for that we must be gratefull.
      Those that compete in F1 must have a Super License and it is not given out willy nilly.
      The end result, they take the risk, but with as many safety margins in place as is possible, so please leave them to RACE, and those that want to moan constantly, well they can always go back to karting cant they Phillipe…

3. ive read most of the comments on here,

Point 1) 90% of overtakes in F1 need both drivers co-operation (see webber on alonso)
    2) Was hamiltons fault no point in arguing that, but with a street circuit if your that close behind attacking and the person infront brakes early (shumis flying lesson), lifts off or as in massa hamiltons case he does not excellorate as early as you you will come together.
    3) Massa is bang out of order with confronting hamilton in the press pen.
    4) You didnt see hamilton even moan that webber tried to force him over a bit to much at the start
    5) Massa is his own worst enemy in defending to hard, anyone with half a brain saw that hamilto was so much faster than him so would have defended but not that hard and concentrated on keeping a good consistant pace (which you cant do very well whilst defending)

There are to many biased people on this site, it was a simple racing incident that was hamiltons fault for missjudging where massa was going to hit the accelorator, nothing more, Ive been watching F1 since 1988 and these things happen all the time. Senna was the greatest driver due to him always wanting to overtake the car infront and finding places to do it were many cant, he had alot of crashes due to this because he used to catch people off gaurd.

Just a quick comment on a comment somwere here, Vettel would never have won the monaco gp if he was not allowd to change tyres on the red flag so in my op he never won that on merit

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th September 2011, 12:21

You’re complaining about other people being “biased”, yet you choose to believe Vettel definitely wouldn’t have won in Monaco despite neither of the cars behind him coming close to putting a pass on him before the red flag?

Pot calling the kettle black, I’m afraid.

• Hows that biased???? Its not “choose to believe” His tyres were shot, Is it biased if I said in canada Vettel would have won if he didnt run wide? No because it was obvious he would same as his tyres were shot, button would not have needed to pit again.
        Very strange to call me biased, who was i biased towards?
        Seems a bit like trying to discredit my comment by saying im biased?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th September 2011, 12:57

His tyres were shot

So? How do you know he was going to lose the lead? When was it going to happen? One more lap? Five? Can you say with certainty it would have happened before the chequered flag?

No-one can’t answer these questions definitively which is why I say it is a biased view to insist, as you do, that Vettel would not have won in Monaco.

• beltabry (@beltabry) said on 26th September 2011, 13:12

Let the guy have his opinion without criticising him! personally I’m not sure, if it was hamilton or alonso in buttons seat, I think they would of found a way past somehow, button I’m not too sure, but either way, letting them change tyres was pathetic and spoilt the race.

• if having an opinyon is biased then every is, if cfanada was red flagged the lap after button took vettel would you have called me biased for saying vettel would never have re overtaken him? no because it was obvious his tyres were going in that race to. Although nothing is ever certain i will always go with the most likely, this does not make me biased this is me going on my 23 years experiance of watching f1.

• soulmonkey said on 26th September 2011, 14:23

Keith, It is not good that you choose to ignore all of Wilky’s points to focus on one that didn’t really contribute to do with the gist of his argument.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th September 2011, 14:51

Thousands of comments are posted here every day. I do what I can to reply to some of them in part, as I’m never going to be able reply to all of them in total.

In this case, I thought accusing others of “bias” while exhibiting it was a bit rich.

• vho (@) said on 26th September 2011, 17:15

Keith, I hope you take this as constructive criticism; As a founding member you’ve gain success from people joining up and expressing their own opinions – biased or unbiased. The success of F1Fanatic is what it is today owing to the many people that have joined and posted on your forum. Given your position you should encourage all sorts of posting (so long as they fall within the rules) biased or unbiased and let the community respond with each others own opinions. For a founding member to criticize someone’s expression can potentially put them off from posting any further and/or may also discourage others from posting what they truly feel.

Your position of authority (as you have the ability to also remove posts) should not be discouraging one’s opinions but be of an arbitrary nature. Also you shouldn’t be trying to respond to everything. I’m not saying that you can’t have an opinion but it all depends on how strong your message comes across. And I’m also not saying that all your responses have been putting people off or have not been balanced, it’s just in this case in my opinion you (not sure whether it was intentional) discredited Wilky112′s opinion. And I don’t think a founding member should be behaving that way. It’s just my opinion and feedback – you can choose how you want to read it.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th September 2011, 17:28

I don’t mind people having opinions, preferences, bias, whatever.

My point is, as I just said, complaining about “bias” in what other people are writing while exhibiting it yourself is a bit rich.

Also you shouldn’t be trying to respond to everything.

I don’t, as I’ve also already said in an earlier reply.

4. Danny1986Land said on 26th September 2011, 13:03

I am a massive fan of f1 and for all you ‘supporters’ who think hamilton is dangerous and has been fairly dealt with since he has been in f1 then listen up. If hamilton drives like he did in monza a few weeks ago he gets slammed for not being exciteing, for not being up for the fight, for not being the driver people around the world love.he is the most exciteing driver to come into f1 since the days of senna.However if he shows his raceing ability, if he goes for the overtakes and makes a slight misjudgement then he gets slammed for that also. People are saying how great vettel is but im sorry how many times had he had 2 overtake this season?? i could probily count with 1 hand!! the fact of the matter is we all want to see exciteing raceing, thats why we are fans of f1, we all want to see the drivers going for it, you carnt excpect them 2 get every pass spot on, in that 1 race alone you have schuey running into the back of sum1 which was alot worse then hamiltons and completely avoidable but its a raceing inccident.. ok so then theres rosberg, again worse then hamiltons but because he didnt puncture a tyre and loose his front wing he doesnt get a penalty, or how about schuey blocking hamilton in monza..no penalty, theres many more i can come up with but the simple fact is your trying to stop a driver trying to push the car to the limit and earning millions of pounds for doing it… i completely agree with beltabry although he was very sarcastic he has hot the nail on the head.the safety if f1 is so advanced to the days of senna and co and there is minimal risk taken.yes there are dangers in any sport but f1 they have minimalised the risk.. few more examples ontop of beltabrys.. perez earlyer this season, webbers where he flipped into the air and crashed into a barrier, kovo’s car been on fire twice this season and same as the renault cars!! none of these were due to ther cars being involved and nobody was injured in these crashes apart from perez wher he had a sprained finger of something.. the fact is hamilton gives us what we need in formula one and without him the sport wouldnt be what it is, so get of his back and stop penaliseing him for stupid things. Massa was was out of line for what he did at the end of the day it was a raceing incident which happens all the time without any penalty being warrented!!

5. Drew007 said on 26th September 2011, 13:55

Im a huge Lewis fan and yes he has made some poor decisions this season, the one with JB in canada was the worst but the rest were just racing incidents. Yet Lewis drove and indicedent free race in Monza and everyone moaned he wasn’t his usual agressive self..the boy is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.

Massa on the other hand needs to talk less and concentrate on his driving, and if you do talk at least get the facts right and stop trying to make the situation worse. Below are massa comments from after the race:

He could have caused a big accident. He touched my wheel on a straight at 300 kph, and he punctured my tyres, so he destroyed my race.”…err I don’t think so, both cars had slowed right down for the chicane, unless Massa was going to take the chicane at 300kph.

And as for all the people on here asking for Lewis to be thrown out of F1, get real please. In an age where the drivers are driven by PR managers and afraid to speak their own mind, to drivers that have to be inch perfect for every lap of the race, to the top 4/5 teams that have perfect cars and unrealiability is unheard of, I for one and pleased Lewis is in F1, after all yesterdays race would have been a procession if it wasn’t for Lewis. Drivers today are like robots and at least with Lewis it gives us some belief that at least one of them is human after all.

6. blimey 298 comments! Keith, what is the highest number of comments you’ve had on a single post?

7. Lucas Alexander said on 26th September 2011, 15:16

Talk about an over reaction.

8. Say what you like about Hamilton, but he can surely pull a crowd. Just look at the number of posts (>300)on this article. Do you think that as many people would be commenting if this incident with Massa involved some other driver? I don’t think so! GO HAMILTON!!!

9. David BR (@david-br) said on 26th September 2011, 15:35

Two drivers under heavy pressure, one self-inflicted (Hamilton), the other because he accepted a team role he doesn’t really want (Massa).

Massa’s reported parting shot to Hamilton says most I think: ‘You’ll win a lot of World Championships like that.’ So at least he suggests Hamilton could win some, if he drives differently. But presumably not himself, given Alonso is sat firmly in number one spot.

The tug and heavy tapping was over the line and would have led to a confrontation in other circumstances (such as Massa being unable to run off like he did). But the personal remark, calling his father into the altercation, was really a bit nasty. It calls Massa’s state of mind far more into question than Hamilton’s.

10. who is saying what to whom………. ????

1 4 5 6