Vote for your Singapore GP driver of the weekend

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Start, Singapore, 2011

Start, Singapore, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Singapore Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Singapore Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Singapore Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – Continues to build momentum, in this kind of form the opposition simply can’t get a look in.

Jenson Button – Didn’t look like getting on terms with Vettel until the last stint, but threw everything at it despite being unwell.

Paul di Resta – An especially impressive performance at a tough track for a rookie, though his path to sixth was eased by his team mate.

Sergio Perez – Snatched a point after a bruising race which saw him going wheel-to-wheel with Nico Rosberg and being hit by Michael Schumacher and Bruno Senna.

Heikki Kovalainen – Opportunities for Lotus to beat a car from the midfield are rare but Kovalainen nailed this one.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Bruno Senna and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Daniel Ricciardo and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Singapore Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

Who was the best driver of the Singapore Grand Prix weekend?

• Sebastian Vettel (42%)
  • Mark Webber (1%)
  • Lewis Hamilton (5%)
  • Jenson Button (16%)
  • Fernando Alonso (1%)
  • Felipe Massa (0%)
  • Michael Schumacher (1%)
  • Nico Rosberg (0%)
  • Bruno Senna (0%)
  • Vitaly Petrov (0%)
  • Rubens Barrichello (0%)
  • Pastor Maldonado (0%)
  • Vitantonio Liuzzi (0%)
  • Timo Glock (0%)
  • Jerome d'Ambrosio (0%)

Total Voters: 423

Loading ... Loading ...

Rate the Race: Singapore Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

2011 Singapore Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Singapore Grand Prix articles

99 comments on Vote for your Singapore GP driver of the weekend

1. kbcusa (@kbcusa) said on 27th September 2011, 1:27

Yeah, Vettel for sure, but DiResta deserved it too.

2. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 27th September 2011, 2:05

Went for the 45deg index finger

3. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 27th September 2011, 2:43

I am shocked very few people voted Webber?

I think Vettel deserve it so do Di Resta & Hamilton.But Webber’s move on Alonso on lap 10 was something special & he did the same thing again after the race restart.

4. Totally di Resta by light years — pole position, dominated the race from start to finish…oh, wait, no, that was someone else! So I voted for that guy instead. ;-)

5. roberttty (@roberttty) said on 27th September 2011, 4:17

My vote goes to Paul di Resta for making Force India’s strategy work.

6. sumedh said on 27th September 2011, 6:32

Didn’t realise what a coup Heikki pulled off till you wrote about him here.

Tough one between Vettel, Heikki and Di Resta. All three drove races at different ends of the field so hard to make comparisons.

I would say Vettel got disadvantaged by the safety car most. And that made Button look better in the final stint than he actually was. Di Resta and Heikki were not particularly advantaged or disadvantaged by it.

Both Di Resta and Vettel’s success was down to a superb first stint. Di Resta going as fast as Sutil on the harder tyre and Vettel going a second a lap faster than everyone. But Heikki’s success was down to a superb second half of the race. Taking into account that Singapore is the toughest race of the calendar for the drivers, I would say an equally good performance in second half of the race is difficult to achieve compared to the first half. So, I will vote for Heikki!

Awesome drive! Hope Lotus make more progress next year.

7. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 27th September 2011, 8:13

Wow. I didn’t expect to see Vettel leading! Perhaps people really have turned a corner with him.

I went for Button. He had a great drive but what’s more important is that he is being consistently good at the moment. I know we should only base this on the race at hand but there is also plenty to be said for remaining so focussed and bringing the points home.

Honourable mention to Vettel too, untouchable, literally.

Of course Di Resta did very well also, a great result for him.

8. Girts (@girts) said on 27th September 2011, 9:44

Vettel had an almost perfect weekend again and I think Button got everything out of his car as well. I’m particularly happy for di Resta even if the timing of the safety car helped him a bit and his Force India seems to be a competitive car at the moment. I have been following Paul’s career since 2009 and I’ve got a feeling that he might be a championship contender in 3-5 years.

I think some people are a bit too harsh on Lewis Hamilton. Yes, he’s had a bad season so far and made too many silly mistakes. But he’s been often unlucky as well and the penalties have mostly been unfair. Singapore was a perfect example of this. Lewis’s bad start was simply ill luck. A driver who has lost half of his front wing in a clash and needs to make an extra pit stop because of that doesn’t deserve additional punishment. He’s already unhappy enough. I have actually rarely seen an F1 driver looking so frustrated after a race as Hamilton was. But he’s not lost his speed and his talent, he desperately wants to turn things right and he will be back.

That said giving the DotW award to him would obviously be too much. This time I’m gonna vote for Jerome d’Ambrosio. Jerome was close to Timo in qualifying, passed him at the start and kept Alguersuari, Senna, Petrov and Kovalainen behind for many laps despite Singapore being Glock’s favourite circuit and Virgin being significantly slower than Lotus, Renault and Toro Rosso.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 27th September 2011, 9:52

I think this is a pretty fundamental point. If you do something wrong you should get a punishment, and it shouldn’t matter if you disadvantaged yourself through your own actions.

To make a crude example, if I smash your window and steal your laptop, I don’t avoid prison because I cut my hand in doing so.

Interesting, and so far unique, choice for DOTW!

• That’s a very good argument Keith. However, I think that there is a difference between intentional and unintentional ‘crimes’. I don’t think Hamilton deliberately punctured Massa’s tyre. He just wanted to get past Massa and that didn’t work; moreover, Lewis damaged his own car as well. But I agree that your own wounds is not the main reason why you shouldn’t be punished. I just believe that drivers should never be punished for their mistakes unless there is a strong suspicion that one deliberately didn’t avoid the clash.

• How about a car accident on the road while (unintentionally) driving through a red light?

I’m at fault, I don’t just pay for my own damages. I’ll pay for the damages to the victims car, and likely be punished by the law.

Maybe Hamilton should consider himself lucky that he doesn’t have to pay Ferrari for the damage as well ;)

• vho (@) said on 28th September 2011, 10:31

But you could argue the same for Schumi’s incident with Perez. Although admittedly Schumi’s end result was worse off but he still did the crime. Perez’s race was hampered cos of a punctured tyre. And as you rightly said, “If you do something wrong you should get punished, and it shouldn’t matter if you disadvantaged yourself through your own actions”. On this merit it’s evident that the FIA is quite inconsistent in their enforcement.

Although I’m no Lewis fan, my initial reaction was that it was a tough penalty when compared to his incident int eh same corner with Webber. Lewis was ahead of Webber and Webber should’ve been penalised for a careless move given he was in the position to do everything to avoid the situation – like braking early to avoid the collision – which is not too dissimilar to what Lewis could have done to prevent the collision with Massa.

My only reasoning for the FIA to penalise Lewis is the fact that he has been involved in many incidents this year, and the FIA is using these punishments to curb his carelessness as they can see if Lewis continues this behaviour it could potentially injure someone greatly or cause a fatality.

9. Hamilton and Massa for me. I voted Hamilton, Only driver who showed us some racing was Hamilton. True, others were battling pretty well but Lewis was the hardest.

I wish he had not hit into Massa, the whole race outcome would have looked different. he would have finished in front of Button.

• GameR_K (@gamer_k) said on 27th September 2011, 13:26

If I had read this just after waking up, I would have gone back to bed

• vho (@) said on 28th September 2011, 5:55

Coulda woulda shoulda… the fact is he did finished behind Jenson. So many of you Lewis Fan Boys thinking Lewis would spank Jenson at McLaren – far from it. And I doubt he would’ve finished a head of Jenson given his lacklustre performance at Monza. It would be very unlikely that Lewis would take the risk of punting his own team mate off the track to do so – it would’ve been worse than his incident with Massa in the eyes of McLaren management. And another fact is that Jenson got the fastest lap of the entire race on lap 54 – same lap that Lewis did his fastest. The time difference was just over 1.5 sec faster for Jenson for that lap. And not once did Lewis bettered Jenson’s lap times after the final pit stop – I really don’t know how Lewis would’ve even managed to keep up with Jenson in the final stint.

10. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 27th September 2011, 10:20

Vettel. How can it be anyone else but him, really? He trounced everyone. Again. The guy is amazing.

Any other day I’d give to Di Resta or Perez, but when you’ve got someone who can seemingly win at will without breaking a sweat week in, week out, I can’t vote for anyone else.

11. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 27th September 2011, 10:35

Vettel. Simply unstoppable in Singapore. That was a drive of a champion.

12. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 27th September 2011, 10:45

Webber has thensame car as Vettel? Surely thou jest. That and SV is simply a better driver, sorry Mark.

13. Voted for Di Resta. Button was second in my opinion with MArk Webber a close third for his overtakes on Alonso.

14. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 27th September 2011, 11:14

I voted for Vettel as once again he is proving why he is good enough to win back to back championships. The BBC commentary team said it during the race that he seems to glide through whilst the others falter. Apart from his final stint where he looked under pressure from Button it was a stunning weekend. I just don’t get how he pulls out these amazing laps week after week, it’s just phenominal.

An honourable mention to both Button and Di Resta as they are really showing how to drive a mature race. Button started well and maintained the gap to the driver behind and after being unwell was extremely impressive. Button keeps on impressing me week after week.

Di Resta is not driving like it is his first season in F1 and really made it work this weekend.

15. GameR_K (@gamer_k) said on 27th September 2011, 12:17

Voted against my default choice Vettel. For Paul to be only 2 tenths slower than Sutil on fresher and the faster tyres in the second(?) stint was the best indicator of his better job. Go FI :)