2011 F1 season
Fernando Alonso has set his sights on finishing second in the drivers’ championship.
Speaking ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix he said: “Even if it?óÔé¼Ôäós true we are no longer even mathematically in the hunt for the drivers?óÔé¼Ôäó title, there are still plenty of reasons to retain our motivation to tackle these last five races with the right attitude.
“First of all there?óÔé¼Ôäós second place in the drivers?óÔé¼Ôäó table. Given how the season has gone so far, with [Sebastian] Vettel totally dominant, failing to get on the podium only once, being runner-up would really be a great result for me and for the team.
“There are four of us in the running, as I am up against [Mark] Webber and the two McLaren guys and I reckon we will have to wait until Interlagos to find out who it will go to.”
Alonso has won once before at Suzuka in 2006 – though it came at the expense of his current team.
He said: “I?óÔé¼Ôäóve won the Japanese Grand Prix twice; once at Fuji and once here at Suzuka, the latter being the best of the two, but I?óÔé¼Ôäóm sure no one in my current team would agree with that.
“I can understand that, because I can appreciate how disappointed they must have been when Michael [Schumacher] had to retire while leading ahead of me.
“It?óÔé¼Ôäós always bad to see a car stop with a failure. In fact, the same thing happened to me a few weeks earlier in Monza: Formula 1 can be a cruel sport at times.”
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others