Jenson Button signs McLaren contract extension

2012 F1 season

Jenson Button, McLaren, Singapore, 2011

Button will remain with McLaren beyond 2012

McLaren have confirmed Jenson Button will remain with them beyond 2011.

The team announced today Button has signed a new multi-year contract.

Button said:”I’ve never felt more at home at a team than I do at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

“‘I’ve won four of the greatest races of my life here, I’m currently lying second in the drivers’ world championship, and I feel that I’m driving better than ever.”

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh said:”Jenson is a great driver and a great guy.”

“In fact, I can safely say that he’s one of the most capable and respected drivers we’ve ever had, and I’m therefore absolutely delighted that he’ll continue to work with us into the future.

“He’s a considerable credit to this organisation, and I’m proud to be his team principal.

“I feel sure that he’ll now build on the considerable success he’s already achieved with us, and will be even more successful with us in years to come.”

Lewis Hamilton added his endorsement, saying:”It’s great news that Jenson has chosen to stay with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

“Jenson has been a great person to work with, and a genuine team player, from the moment we welcomed him on board.”

See the updated list of 2012 F1 drivers and teams

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image © McLaren

106 comments on Jenson Button signs McLaren contract extension

1. mike mcdermott said on 5th October 2011, 16:14

Imagine if Button had started his F1 career at McLaren ?

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 5th October 2011, 16:24

He might’ve become David Coulthard. The lean years (especially at Honda) caused him a world of pain, but ensured he was mature enough and ready to win a title when the opportunity came.

• KNF (@knf) said on 6th October 2011, 6:43

Almost, his first taste of F1 was in a McLaren in 1999…

• 130R (@130r) said on 7th October 2011, 22:28

He came into F1 too quick, he scored the lowest ever mark in a Williams techincal test and it took him a few season to fully learn about car setup.

2. fcofdz (@fcofdz) said on 5th October 2011, 16:23

McLaren Really has a killer driver line up!! The best among all teams without a doubt

• RagingInferno (@raginginferno) said on 5th October 2011, 17:14

I totally agree. Two top-notch drivers, I just hope that when Mclaren have a championship winning car that Jenson and Lewis don’t take too many points off of eachother!

3. RagingInferno (@raginginferno) said on 5th October 2011, 17:16

I would have been very surprised if Mclaren hadn’t tried anything and everything to get Jenson under contract with the way he’s been driving this year.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 5th October 2011, 21:40

No doubt that McLaren would have been very keen to have him but his only other options, Ferrari and Red Bull seem pretty content with their own line-ups.

4. Brilliant news! JB and McLaren are a great fit. :D

5. t3x (@t3x) said on 6th October 2011, 1:39

Its a shame, i like Button, i don’t like McLaren… I would have loved to see Alonso go up againt Button in red.

6. Bronco said on 20th December 2011, 13:08