Jenson Button signs McLaren contract extension

2012 F1 season

Jenson Button, McLaren, Singapore, 2011

Button will remain with McLaren beyond 2012

McLaren have confirmed Jenson Button will remain with them beyond 2011.

The team announced today Button has signed a new multi-year contract.

Button said: “I?ve never felt more at home at a team than I do at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

??”I’ve won four of the greatest races of my life here, I?m currently lying second in the drivers? world championship, and I feel that I?m driving better than ever.”

Team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: “Jenson is a great driver and a great guy.

“In fact, I can safely say that he?s one of the most capable and respected drivers we?ve ever had, and I?m therefore absolutely delighted that he?ll continue to work with us into the future.

“He?s a considerable credit to this organisation, and I?m proud to be his team principal.

“I feel sure that he?ll now build on the considerable success he?s already achieved with us, and will be even more successful with us in years to come.”

Lewis Hamilton added his endorsement, saying: “It?s great news that Jenson has chosen to stay with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

“Jenson has been a great person to work with, and a genuine team player, from the moment we welcomed him on board.”

See the updated list of 2012 F1 drivers and teams

2012 F1 season

Browse all 2012 F1 season articles

Image ?? McLaren

106 comments on Jenson Button signs McLaren contract extension

1. BBT (@bbt) said on 5th October 2011, 13:35

Yeap, great news.

2. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 5th October 2011, 13:38

Have to agree with Martin… Vodafone Mc:Laren Mercedes (;p) is the only team with the best driver lineup in the whole grid.

This is a great news for McLaren when one driver feels more at home and prefers to extend the relationship. This will give them stability in their development programe for the next two years atleast.

So, if Lewis decides to extend his contract for two more years (or he already has the contract), not sure which way the development of the car will lean towards or neutral as ever.

3. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 5th October 2011, 13:54

Good news! I never expected anything less to be honest. Really hope he keeps up his form into 2012.

4. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 5th October 2011, 14:23

I’m slightly baffled and disappointed with the amount of comments about Ferrari, rather than what the article is actually about. I think it’s a great move for Button and Mclaren, it’s turning into a great combination. ferrari are currently a team where if Jenson went there he’d play second fiddle and currently be slower than his current team. There’s no reason for him to go there.

5. alexf1man (@alexf1man) said on 5th October 2011, 14:28

This deal is great news! Prior to McLaren we only saw two decent seasons from Jenson (2004 & 2009) but this has shown him in a light that many didn’t believe was possible (although I felt he was always capable given the car).

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 5th October 2011, 15:03

Man, he should be thanking Ross Brawn a million times over for saving BAR/Honda/BGP/Mercedes. That was the difference between: 10 GP wins, a long-term McLaren deal, and being a world champion; and a Renault F1 drive with a handful of podiums and an utter lack of success.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 5th October 2011, 15:09

Good point.

• electrolite (@electrolite) said on 5th October 2011, 15:12

Absolutely. But Jenson himself stayed loyal to that team for so many years, through the good and the bad, and his reward was the BGP001. You’re right though.

• KNF (@knf) said on 6th October 2011, 6:40

Excellent point, at the end of 2008 when Honda pulled out, people would be talking about “the curious case of Jenson Button, whose career was going in reverse”. Having had only 1 win to his name and not being a contender in his best year (2004) it would have been difficult to get a drive with any team, let alone McLaren.

6. mike mcdermott said on 5th October 2011, 16:14

Imagine if Button had started his F1 career at McLaren ?

7. fcofdz (@fcofdz) said on 5th October 2011, 16:23

McLaren Really has a killer driver line up!! The best among all teams without a doubt

8. RagingInferno (@raginginferno) said on 5th October 2011, 17:16

I would have been very surprised if Mclaren hadn’t tried anything and everything to get Jenson under contract with the way he’s been driving this year.

9. Brilliant news! JB and McLaren are a great fit. :D

10. t3x (@t3x) said on 6th October 2011, 1:39

Its a shame, i like Button, i don’t like McLaren… I would have loved to see Alonso go up againt Button in red.

11. Bronco said on 20th December 2011, 13:08