Kobayashi’s kart and Liuzzi’s special helmet for Japan

2011 Japanese GP Thursday pictures

Japan’s only F1 driver Kamui Kobayashi put on a show for fans at the track on Thursday as he took to the track in a box car built to look like his Sauber F1 racer.

Vitantonio Liuzzi also made a gesture to the Japanese fans, wearing a special helmet in memory of those who died in the tsunami earlier this year.

Here are pictures from Thursday at Suzuka.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?? Ferrari spa/Ercole Colombo, Renault/LAT, Getty Images/Red Bull, Force India/Sutton, Sauber F1 Team, Team Lotus, Motioncompany

50 comments on Kobayashi’s kart and Liuzzi’s special helmet for Japan

1. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 6th October 2011, 16:21

I love this.

2. ScuderiaVincero (@scuderiavincero) said on 6th October 2011, 16:23

That kart’s gonna put Formula One cars to shame :)

3. Stig 3 (@thestig94) said on 6th October 2011, 16:23

Great pictures!

4. Slr (@slr) said on 6th October 2011, 16:26

I want that kart.

5. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 6th October 2011, 16:29

Nice to see Sauber doing something enviromentally friendly. That’s a proper green inline-4 engine.

6. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 6th October 2011, 16:38

The Sauber mechanics are all wearing @Magnificent-Geoffrey bandanas! :P

7. Liuzii’s helmet is gorgeous

Kobayashi’s kart looks something like what a baby Stig would learn to drive in.

I’ve noticed Bianchi at Ferrari a lot which is understandable given that for a lot of the year the GP2 circus follows the bigger F1 circus about but he seems to be at home in the F1 spot-light which would be great if he was in F1 or had done something to prove he was deserving of a seat :P I’m just kidding as I actually am a big fan of Jules.

8. Tommo N7 (@tommothfc) said on 6th October 2011, 17:22

Sauber have bought some interesting updates for Japan I see ;)
    And Liuzzi’s helmet looks quite nice :)

9. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 6th October 2011, 17:31

Interesting, the force India and HRT team mascots directly represents how good they have performed this year isn’t.

10. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 6th October 2011, 18:17

Wow I need that kart!

11. Eggry (@eggry) said on 6th October 2011, 18:30

Japan is always great. I hope there would be something good in Korea either.

12. Stefanauss (@stefanauss) said on 6th October 2011, 18:38

I don’t like Liuzzi’s helmet a tiny bit.
    What the hack are those matriosk-esque objects with FI and HRT names on them?

13. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 6th October 2011, 18:49

I don’t get if there’s a potato painted in red or something like that in the Force3 India pic… So nice on the Luzzi’s helmet

• mcmercslr (@mcmercslr) said on 6th October 2011, 18:53

I think every driver has been given a little mascot like that. I can’t see how that one represents force India in any way though

• Klaas (@klaas) said on 7th October 2011, 6:33

It’s not a potato painted in red nor a mascot. It’s a traditional Japanese one-eyed doll called Daruma. When you receive this doll you make a wish. If that wish is fulfilled, then you paint the other eye too.

14. mcmercslr (@mcmercslr) said on 6th October 2011, 18:51

I see liuzzis helmet has the new metal strip above the visor that’s being tested. I’m not sure I like it for looks but I guess we’ll get used to it.

Is the strip mandatory for all drivers or not as it doesnt look like vettel has it on his new design

15. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 6th October 2011, 19:01

This interview of Rubens Barrichello indicates that kimi’s William deal is almost certain or decided. He sounds really helpless for a guy who will celebrate 20 years if he stays in the sport next year.