Sebastian Vettel admitted Suzuka has become more challenging with the current generation of F1 tyres.
He said: “The circuit seems pretty tricky this year on these tyres ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ they make the cars seem more alive, so Sunday will be an interesting race.
“Taking 130R with the DRS open isn?óÔé¼Ôäót as easy as it used to be!”
Vettel ended the first practice session in the barrier at Degner after going off. He said: “It wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót a big mistake this morning, but in that moment I wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót 100% awake and mistakes around here can be quite costly.
“I went off and tried to slow the car down, but I hit the wall slightly. It wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót a big impact, but it did some damage to the car, so it wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót perfect.
“It did affect our run plan a little, but we had a solid afternoon.”
2011 Japanese Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 Japanese GP
- Kobayashi greets the fans, Vettel does doughnuts: Suzuka videos
- Hamilton did not have a puncture at Suzuka
- 2011 Japanese Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your Japanese Grand Prix driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Conservative approach delivers Vettel’s title
- McLaren: Button pleased to win on ‘Red Bull track’
- Ferrari: Alonso edges Vettel for second
- Mercedes: Schumacher closes on Rosberg’s tally
- Renault: Petrov makes progress, Senna slips back
Image ?é?® Red Bull/Getty images