Vettel clinches second F1 championship in Japan

2011 Japanese Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Suzuka, 2011

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Suzuka, 2011

Sebastian Vettel has won the F1 drivers championship for the second year in a row.

Third place in the Japanese Grand Prix confirmed Vettel as the champion with four races to spare.

Vettel’s achievement, at the age of 24 years and 98 days, makes him the youngest driver to win two world championships.

He is the first driver to win back-to-back championships since Fernando Alonso in 2006.

See the current points standings in full here:

F1 world champions by country

Vettel’s win means more championships have now been won from drivers from Germany than any other nation besides Great Britain.

Whereas ten different British drivers have claimed the crown the nine championships won by German drivers belong to Vettel and Michael Schumacher – and all were won in the last 17 years.

Country No. Drivers/s
1 Britain 14 Mike Hawthorn, Graham Hill (2), Jim Clark (2), John Surtees, Jackie Stewart (3), James Hunt, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill, Lewis Hamilton, Jenson Button
2 Germany 9 Michael Schumacher (7), Sebastian Vettel (2)
3 Brazil 8 Emerson Fittipaldi (2), Nelson Piquet (3), Ayrton Senna (3)
4 Argentina 5 Juan Manuel Fangio
5 Australia 4 Jack Brabham (3), Alan Jones
5 Austria 4 Jochen Rindt, Niki Lauda (3)
5 France 4 Alain Prost
5 Finland 4 Keke Rosberg, Mika Hakkinen (2), Kimi R??ikk??nen
9 Italy 3 Giuseppi Farina, Alberto Ascari (2)
10 United States 2 Phil Hill, Mario Andretti
10 Spain 2 Fernando Alonso
12 New Zealand 1 Denny Hulme
12 South Africa 1 Jody Scheckter
12 Canada 1 Jacques Villeneuve

2011 Japanese Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Japanese Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty images

60 comments on Vettel clinches second F1 championship in Japan

1. gilles (@gilles) said on 9th October 2011, 8:39

Ringdigidindindingding!!!!

2. JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 9th October 2011, 8:40

Must be nice to be able to write an article bar a single digit before the race!

3. BBT (@bbt) said on 9th October 2011, 8:42

Many congrats to Mr Vettel, fully deserved.
    Hope he has to fight for his 3rd next year.

4. DT (@dt) said on 9th October 2011, 8:43

Blimey that was quick! Nice work from Jenson. Vettel is on the podium which is good.

5. meek (@meek) said on 9th October 2011, 8:44

Just nitpicking here, but it would still be useful to put Alain Prost(4) and Fernando Alsonso(2) even though they are the only drivers from their countries… No big deal though and great statistics!

6. Antranik (@antranik) said on 9th October 2011, 8:48

It was great to finally hear some true emotion from Vettel and not the completely over-the-top “WHOOOOOOOOO AMAGAD D00D I WAN!!” It was a great race and hopefully next years championship will be as interesting as the racing.

7. Stretch (@stretch) said on 9th October 2011, 8:48

He’s been a problem that no one has been able to fix…. but well done

8. JCost (@jcost) said on 9th October 2011, 8:52

Congrats Seb.

9. Eggry (@eggry) said on 9th October 2011, 8:56

Double Finger!! Now I congrats him, but I wish next year is not same!!

10. He may have won the title today but I think the talking points have been JB and Alonso with their performances. I almost forgot about Seb and he was so caught up racing Fernando at one point I thought when the race finished he’d be surprised to find out he’d won the title.

He’s been superb all season bar perhaps today and Germany but that’s just nitpicking. He’s been so close to perfection the majority of the time. I know he’s got a good car but so does Mark and he’s destroyed him this year and that says a lot about how good Vettel is. Great job to the entire RBR team esp design and the pitcrew who have the toughest job in the pitlane but I can’t remember them ever making a mistake.

• Enigma (@enigma) said on 9th October 2011, 9:16

Agreed, he’s been perfect this year, utterly deserved title. He’s surely established himself now as one of the best complete packages on the grid, I think he’s right up there with Alonso and Button.

• Enigma (@enigma) said on 9th October 2011, 9:19

@steph Though the pitcrew did make some mistakes – at Monaco and Silverstone, but it didn’t cost him anything. They weren’t flawless today either, but I think that was 1st pit stop which didn’t lose him the lead anyway.

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 10th October 2011, 15:55

I wasn’t as excited as last year, because I already knew who would’ve won, and because Jenson’s and Fernando’s drives were incredible. I didn’t make the fuss I should’ve made of Alonso taking second and catching Button, maybe because it was early in the morning or maybe because the commentators were saying he would’ve been in front of Vettel before he stopped.

11. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 9th October 2011, 9:01

Regardless that finger… You have to like this man/boy.
    Two WDC and showing hè is able to overtake! What à year!

12. JohnBt (@johnbt) said on 9th October 2011, 9:08

FANTASTIC RACE!

Congrats to Vettlel on his 2nd WDC.

Button and Alonso for putting up a great fight. Overall they were many exciting moments from the rest of the grid. Hamilton and Massa, deja vu.

The last four races will be preparation for 2012.

13. Slr (@slr) said on 9th October 2011, 9:12

Congrats to Vettel, he fully deserves the title.

14. Sandlefish (@sandlefish) said on 9th October 2011, 9:21

Congrats to Vettel on the double-title. Like him or not a more mature season and a fantastic performance!

15. Jim1601 (@jim1601) said on 9th October 2011, 9:30

Well done to Vettel, it’s scary to think how young he is and how many more he could win in his career!

For 2012 we need a combination of this year’s good racing and 2010’s championship battle!

16. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 9th October 2011, 9:35

Absolutely outstanding performance this season. Double World Champion at 24.

He is surely now the undisputed Number 1 driver in Formula 1, bar none.

• Mike (@mike) said on 9th October 2011, 9:51

I’m not so sure yet, I think if you put say, Alonso in that Red Bull instead of Vettel the gap to 2nd wouldn’t be any less.

But he’s close to it for sure.

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 9th October 2011, 10:02

@Mike @Magnificent-Geoffrey I’m gonna agree with Mag on this one. Without a doubt the world number 1 in every sense.

While it would always be interesting to see drivers swapping cars, I don’t think it’s fair to assume any one driver could do a better job than Vettel. Vettel has a talent which the car has been designed around. It’s set-up specifically for him. Being that in tune with your machine is a talent that should be recognised more often.

• marmad said on 9th October 2011, 22:16

First of all, congrats to Vettel. Outstanding performance for sure. About the undisputed Number 1 driver in Formula 1…maybe the question should not be: What would have Alonso done with this Red Bull? maybe the question should be: What would have Vettel done with this Ferrari? would he have performed better than Alonso? I doubt it

17. Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 9th October 2011, 9:35

Two down, six to go…

18. Mike (@mike) said on 9th October 2011, 9:43

Congrats to the new champion! And he’s still the 5th youngest driver! Absolute madness. O.o

Lets see if the can make him work for his next one.

19. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 9th October 2011, 9:57

Well done to Sebastian Vettel. He has absolutely deserved every last drop of success this year.

20. Frans (@frans) said on 9th October 2011, 10:13

Usually when I see the headline, I can at least see the winner of the race. Right now, the winner of the race doesn’t get any mention anywhere in the article. I need to actually see the GP result know the winner.
    Congrats to Vettel, but don’t forget the race winner next time :)

• glue (@glue) said on 9th October 2011, 10:16

this is not the race report

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th October 2011, 10:20

@frans The race review is here:

Button holds back Alonso and Vettel for Japanese Grand Prix win

You can tell this isn’t the race review because it doesn’t say “2011 Japanese GP review” on it.

• Frans (@frans) said on 9th October 2011, 11:08

I know that this isn’t a review. But I would like the review to be up first and this article 2nd. It’s strange to go to F1 Fanatic and reading this article first. It felt like something was missing.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 9th October 2011, 11:19

@frans

I know that this isn’t a review.

The I’ve no idea what you’re complaining about. The review is never up as soon after a race as this article was, it takes time to check it and write it.

• Frans (@frans) said on 9th October 2011, 16:01

This is probably just my stupidity… When I read this article and came across the third place in Japanese GP, I immediately try to find an article about why he only finished in third. I couldn’t find it at that time thus the comment. It was definitely a strange moment for me when I tried to click the links at the bottom of the article and find nothing. This wouldn’t have happened if I watch the race live though. I just need a bit more patience in waiting for the review.
            Thanks for compiling the data… Never knew that Britain have a lot of F1 winners and Germany only have 2 winners.