Liuzzi donned a special helmet for the Japanese Grand Prix but it brought him no luck.
|Daniel Ricciardo||Vitantonio Liuzzi|
|Qualifying time comparison||n/a||n/a|
HRT drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
|Pit stop 1||Soft 23.723s|
|Pit stop 2||Soft 23.172s|
|Pit stop 3||Medium 22.91s|
Ricciardo had a race-long battle with the Virgin drivers and ended the race within two-and-a-half seconds of both of them.
He felt he might have done better without the safety car interruption, saying: “It came out at times that didn?óÔé¼Ôäót suit us.
“But I?óÔé¼Ôäóm happy with the performance and, personally, I?óÔé¼Ôäóm pleased with the way I drove and I don?óÔé¼Ôäót think I could have done much more. The car was good; with every run we made adjustments that improved it. I?óÔé¼Ôäóm happy for the team because it was a strong race for us.”
|Pit stop 1||Medium 28.244s|
|Pit stop 2||Soft 24.716s|
|Pit stop 3||Soft 22.631s|
It’s hard to imagine how Liuzzi’s weekend could have gone much worse than it did in Suzuka.
Liuzzi took his car back from Karthikeyan in FP2 and thereafter ran into a series of problem. It broke down in second and third practice, limiting him to a total of just 12 laps.
It got no better in qualifying, as yet more problems kept him from completing a flying lap. He was allowed to start despite not setting a time, but had completed just 14 tours of the circuit before the race began.
With next to no time to set his car up, Liuzzi struggled in the race: “We suffered massive degradation with the rear tyres, especially the rear left, and I wasn?óÔé¼Ôäót able to do many laps with any set of tyres.”
He spent every lap of the Grand Prix in last place. Despite catching up to his team mate behind the safety car he ended up a minute behind Ricciardo at the flag.
Drove Liuzzi’s car in first practice. He covered 25 laps, which was more than Liuzzi managed before the race began.
2011 Japanese Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 Japanese GP
- Kobayashi greets the fans, Vettel does doughnuts: Suzuka videos
- Hamilton did not have a puncture at Suzuka
- 2011 Japanese Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your Japanese Grand Prix driver of the weekend
- Red Bull: Conservative approach delivers Vettel’s title
- McLaren: Button pleased to win on ‘Red Bull track’
- Ferrari: Alonso edges Vettel for second
- Mercedes: Schumacher closes on Rosberg’s tally
- Renault: Petrov makes progress, Senna slips back
Image ?é?® Motioncompany