Ross Brawn questions need for DRS in F1

F1 Fanatic round-up

In the round-up: Ross Brawn questions whether F1 needs DRS.

Links

Top F1 links from the past 24 hours:

Brawn wants DRS reassessed (Autosport)

“I think tyres have been a major element. DRS, as far as we are concerned, was introduced to stop the racing being processional and it hasn’t been because of the tyres, so I think at the end of the season with the FIA we should take a step back, look at where it hurt, look at where it helped, and see what we gained, and see if it has achieved all of its objectives.”

Neale: F1 teams need to stick together (Crash)

“Quite understandably, many of the teams mask the way in which their public accounts are provided so that you can’t reverse engineer what’s going on. Formula 1 has for decades been surrounded with a bit of mistrust and rumour – allegations about what are they doing, are they cheating on the circuit, have they got some new wonder device etc… – and I think that’s all part of the sport. I think in reality the bigger prize is that Formula 1 does need to stick together.”

Exclusive Q&A with Lotus?s Tony Fernandes (F1)

“Emotionally, I’d like to see [Karun Chandhok] in the car [at the Indian Grand Prix], but practically there’s no point in putting him in just for the sake of it. We have two extremely experienced race drivers and I’ve got to do what?s right for them and for the team, not for Karun or for the Indian fans. But ultimately it’s not my decision. I’ve told the team it?s up to them.”

Alan Permane via Twitter

“Had a walk around the track today, good improvements in the last sector with the walls moved back a little. more run off at turn three and turn four too.”

The sale of Force India (Joe Saward)

“If it turns out that [Vijay] Mallya is now announcing the sale of a minority of the shares or some such arrangement no-one is going to believe anything that he says as he will already have told a whopping great lie, insisting that the team is not for sale.”

Vicky Chandhok via Twitter

“Its a good thing to have Sahara in F1, could now attract the other Indian bigwigs too soon. Could see some big deals happening soon in India!”

Paul di Resta via Twitter

“Of to Korea now. Feeling much better, been visiting Tokyo for three days. A mad city that never stops.”

Modern F1 Colouring Pages (Car colouring pages)

“These are Formula 1 car colouring pages from the last few years.”

McLaren celebrates 700 GPs – the 100th car (McLaren)

“By the time Emerson [Fittipaldi] finished second in the 1975 Brazilian Grand Prix, our 100th race and the second round of the 1975 season, the M23 had notched up eight wins and 10 podium finishes.”

Follow F1 news as it breaks using the F1 Fanatic live Twitter app.

Comment of the day

To fully appreciate Journeyer’s Comment of the Day you need to read it in context so have a look here.

From the forum

A handful of links from the new forums:

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Randy Torres!

On this day in F1

Damon Hill won the world championship 15 years ago today at Suzuka.

Hill effectively became champion when team mate Jacques Villeneuve crashed in turn one when he lost a wheel, but Hill sealed the title with a victory in his final race for Williams.

Michael Schumacher finished second ahead of Mika Hakkinen.

Martin Brundle, fifth, scored points in his final F1 race, behind Gerhard Berger and in front of Heinz-Harald Frentzen.

86 comments on Ross Brawn questions need for DRS in F1

1. Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 13th October 2011, 4:56

@keithcollantine On the homepage, in today’s f1 fanatic roundup summary, I think you meant assess? :D

2. Rammstein said on 13th October 2011, 5:43

I think this is just spin from Brawn. Of course you want to say DRS is bad because if you are the guy in front, you want every advantage to stay in front easily and not have to battle to keep your position.

3. Girts (@girts) said on 13th October 2011, 6:58

Joe Saward is one of my favourite F1 journalists but this time I don’t agree with him. In January, Joe himself republished an old article where he ironically looks at the way F1 people often deny the truth:

I know that Joe doesn’t like the way Mallya does business and I’m sure he knows much more about that than I do but his reaction seems inadequate anyway.

• Huron (@huron) said on 13th October 2011, 9:11

It’s not just Joe. Many in the paddock, and in the business world beyond, do not like the way Mallya does business.

And some of us just don’t like a team owner that settles for a mediocre team.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 13th October 2011, 9:18

@huron

2008: 10th
        2009: 9th
        2010: 7th
        2011: 6th (so far)

That doesn’t look like “settling” to me.

• Huron (@huron) said on 13th October 2011, 9:48

I disagree. This time last year, they had finished in the points 14 times, compared to only 11 this year.

In 2009, there were only ten teams. And they have been aided greatly in 2011 by an absurdly weak Williams. 2010 was their best year, but I’d argue that can be attributed to a weak showing by Sauber in the first half of the season and a weakening Williams.

They have settled into the role of permanent midfield team, much like Sauber and Toro Rosso. Basically, any advancement of Force India can be attributed to other teams falling back, rather than Force India moving forward.

• Tango (@tango) said on 13th October 2011, 10:36

That’s harsh. Force India are now a strong midfield team. That’s quite a difficult task. When you see where they come from, it’s an achievement. They don’t have pay drivers, they have a solid car, strong relations with main motor (Merc) and parts builders, and have recruited known figures from the paddock. If a force India finishes 6th or 7th (in front of, say, a Renault or a Williams), it’s no more a surprise. I wouldn’t call the past 3 years going back, but rather steadingly going forward.

• they are clearly moving forward over last few years. As spyker they were pretty much last. Its a tough sport, and to challenge & beat world champions such as williams and renault is very impressive by anyones standards.

• sumedh said on 13th October 2011, 12:07

Would you say that Red Bull is faster because Mclaren and Ferrari are going backward?

Everything in F1 is relative.

4. SempreGilles (@sempregilles) said on 13th October 2011, 8:21

I’m not sure about DRS. Lots of times the driver with DRS activated just blazes past, which is boring and something I can see all day if I just go and stand next to a local highway. But sometimes there is some skill involved in making sure you are right behind the guy in front when you activate it because otherwise it still has no effect. Set up is also a big part of it ofcourse. Like in Spain where Vettel was so much faster trough the final corners his pursuers could not overtake him because they were to far behind at the start of the straight.

If only they had just introduced the new tires this year and see what they do. If that didn’t have the desired effect they could’ve added DRS for next year.

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 13th October 2011, 8:24

I do agree with Brawn on DRS. I find it difficult to comprehend how people have become so aggressive despite it being announced as only an experiment for this season.

They would do well to address fans also, considering it’s the fans they’re trying to please. There are a couple of good suggestions above from @magnificent-geoffrey and @xxiinophobia

6. BasCB (@bascb) said on 13th October 2011, 8:51

What Neale says is absolutely correct.

And I think those rumours of discontent, or even a “fight” or falling out between Ferrari/McLaren on one side and Red Bull with Mercedes on the opposite withing FOTA are largely brought up by people who want to break FOTA’s unity in the ongoing “discussions” about a follow up to the Concorde Agreement.
    Especially as last time there was something it was Brawn saying how he did think it was needed to look into how the RRA works and that it should be stricter descirbed for more trust, but denying they were even thinking of accusing RBR of anything.

7. all they have to do is limit the amount the wing can open, depending on the Grand Prix, for instance valencia it didnt work where as turkey it needed to be much less.

DRS as far as i was aware was designed to allow the driver behind to be in a position to attack on the brakes(so right on the guy’s tail), Not just breeze past long before the braking zone.

8. graham228221 (@graham228221) said on 13th October 2011, 10:02

Now the novelty of 500 overtakes a race has worn off, what is actually that good about this season’s racing?

There are nowhere near as many retirements, on-track wheel-bangs (apart from Massa and Hamilton obviously) or memorable overtakes as previous years. Yes each race has had lots happening and lots to talk about, but the vast majority of it has been far from noteworthy.

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but the combination of the DRS, the fragile tyres and a car/driver combination that has been light years ahead has made for an wholly unsatisfying season. Admirably, Lewis seems to have taking it upon himself to introduce some element of risktaking back into the sport, but on the whole races have been reduced to 20-odd drivers tiptoeing around trying not to rip apart their tyres.

“oh whoops, I’ve found myself stuck behind a slow car and I’m in a Red Bull/Mclaren/Ferrari. Ah well, at least there are the Designated Formula 1 Overtaking Areas™ where I can breeze past. And If I find myself not talented and/or brave enough to get within one second of the car in front, there’s always 3-5 pit stops where I’ll be able to pull an exciting Formula 1 Undercut™ on that lowly Sauber/Toro Rosso/Mercedes.”

What’s been the battle of the season so far? I’d say Schumacher vs Hamilton at Monza and Hamilton vs Massa over the course of the season. And I think this shows that if we’re going to keep DRS for 2012, then please please please can we get rid of the farcical “one move” rules around defending moves and the automatic penalties for any sort of contact. If we give the attacking car an advantage, at least allow the defending driver more freedom to actually defend himself.

Keep KERS for 2012, ditch DRS, bring back ground-effects now. Bring back the rewards for risk taking. Sorted.

9. Enigma (@enigma) said on 13th October 2011, 13:17

I agree with Fernandes on that one. As much as I like Karun Chandhok for his personality, as much as I like him for his knowledge and enthusiasm about formula one, there’s just no points putting him in the car just because he’s Indian. Kovalainen and Trulli are both doing a good job and I can’t imagine him being better, especially since he hasn’t driven the car all that much.

10. As I said on Twitter, the only good thing for me about Damon Hill winning the championship was how happy it made Murray Walker.

I think Brawn has a point about DRS. The biggest thing that’s led to wheel to wheel racing has by far and away been the tyres. The way DRS is used hasn’t been the best either.

• why you say that about damon? front row of grid in every race. you cant argue with that sort of performance.

has seb been on the front row every race? The current red bull is more dominant than the 96 williams was.

Damon turned himself and team round amazingly after the hangover from 94. the 95 williams was a good car but their pit crew was years behind benetton. usually about 3 seconds a stop slower. Damon couldnt compete with that. no driver would of. and their strategy was terrible. Monaco rings a bell.

Damon gets a hard time, dont know why. Cant see the difference between his achievements and that of Mika. Mika only won with a mega car. damon won in a jordan and nearly an arrows. it took mika 5yrs to win a race for mclaren.

11. GT_Racer said on 13th October 2011, 17:56

Just to comment on something I’ve seen posted here & elsewhere & thats the argument that DRS came in because of Petrov-Alonso at Abu Dhabi in 2010.

The situation between Alonso been unable to pass Petrov at Abu Dhabi actually had nothing to do with turbulant air, It was simply a case of the Renault engine having more driveability out of the slow corners, Having a better F-Duct & having a setup whihc gave them more straght line speed on top of the fact they were running a better pit strategy.

So in that situation for basically doing a better job on strategy, setup & having an engine better suited to exiting slow corners, Why should Renault/petrov have been penalised by allowing Alonso DRS to make the pass?

Something I would also point out is that I think DRS has lost a fair bit of support from fans now based on comments on message boards, blogs & internet poll numbers.
    Pre-Season I would say the majority wanted to see how it worked before casting judgement, After the inital races it was about 50/50 but since then its popularity has slid & I’d say its now perhaps 80/20 against.

If FOTA put forward a sensibly worded survey to fans regarding DRS & then either kept or dropped DRS based on the results I’d pretty much guarentee DRS wouldn’t be around next year.

12. Robbie (@robbie) said on 14th October 2011, 15:40

Not a fan of DRS whatsoever…I do not consider the passes made using DRS as anything special…it is only because of F1′s resistance to limit the cars’ aero dependancy by restricting the amount of wing they can use that they brought in DRS, but as some have suggested, perhaps the soft Pirelli’s have done enough to bring mechanical grip into play to overcome the aero dependancy. Not convinced of that though.

Bring back the big fat slicks they had in the 70′s and you kill two birds with one stone…those fatties created so much drag down the straightaways that if you wanted to carry any kind of respectable speed you had to run less wing…therefore big fat slicks provide more mechanical grip while forcing the use of less wing which in turn means cars are less changed by being in dirty air as they approach a car from behind, and therefore can actually pull off a skillful pass by the seat of the pants with mechanical grip available, and less disturbance to the passing car.