Rate the race: 2011 Korean Grand Prix

2011 Korean Grand Prix

What did you think of the Korean Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Korean Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (8%)
  • 6 (18%)
  • 7 (30%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (10%)
  • 10 (1%)

Total Voters: 449

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

171 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Korean Grand Prix

1 2 3 5
  1. damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 16th October 2011, 8:46

7/10 from me.

There were some amazing battles and some brilliant action at parts, but there wasn’t really any hope of anything materialising for the attacking drivers. If not for the Hamilton – Webber scrap, I’d have given it a 6. Still, a highly entertaining race and there’s no doubt in my mind that this track is brilliant for close racing. Not sure about the DRS though…

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 16th October 2011, 9:09

Same from me. The HAM/WEB battle saved the race.

• sw6569 (@sw6569) said on 16th October 2011, 13:59

I didn’t see a Ham/Web battle. I saw cars following each other around the track. Ham using his KERS at the same point, Web closing at the same point.

I said it last year (and got slated for it) but this is not a good track for racing. There is no natural overtaking spot. The location of the DRS zone removed the ability to overtake into the first corner as well.

4/10 for me. It was processional.

• Canuck said on 16th October 2011, 20:05

couldn’t agree more ……awfully boring 4/10 …..what a crappy track. i want to see racing, not a parade !!!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 16th October 2011, 9:28

Not to mention the fact Red Bull failed to take a chance on pitting Webber a lap later to jump Hamilton and get close to Vettel.

I am not decided yet, but I also think its going to be a 7. Although those few laps of really tight racing in the fast corners between Hamilton and Webber were really good.

• Commendatore (@commendatore) said on 16th October 2011, 9:30

Booooring………. hence it’s 5/10 for me.

• JoMcl said on 16th October 2011, 10:09

yes HAM/WEB and later ALO make this race exciting.
      Wonder if we should kick out VET of the remaining races, possibly giving him the victories, because after lap one, he was on no battle. Good drive from him too, but not entertaining for a second. Was obvious he would get Hamilton on the straight with the slip-stream…

• Fixy (@fixy) said on 16th October 2011, 12:00

7/10
      During the race I was already thinking of what vote I was going to give it, and many times I was thinking “how boring”. Obviously when there was the Hamilton-Webber duel, or the battles between Rosberg-Button and Alonso-Massa and Rosberg-Massa-Alonso, I enjoyed it, but I don’t feel like giving it more than 7.

• TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 16th October 2011, 16:13

For me DRS worked superbly well. It wasn’t so extreme, like it was in Montreal or Spa, where people were flying past long before the braking zones.

The DRS really spiced up the Webber and Hamilton fight, KERS also made it interesting as we saw a lot of clever uses of them both.

The detection zone was in a great place to. An overtake into Turn 1 would then result in the car having a chance to re-pass in the DRS zone, then the faster car would have a chance slipstreaming on the following straight. We saw this happen with Kobayashi and Senna.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 16th October 2011, 16:19

It was what we saw in the Rosberg fight with Button as well. Pass, re-pass, pass again. In effect making for a multi lap battle to get past.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 24th October 2011, 13:06

But a bit artificial too, especially in combination with that pit exit where all drivers knew to not be ahead at the detection line; I even think HAM might have been able to get ahead of Webber in that corner, but didn’t bc. of the DRS.

It looked nice, but upon re-watching I thought it a bit too manufactured to be honest.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 24th October 2011, 13:07

But I’ll add that the short distance of the DRS was right, even if I am not sure about the placement of the zone itself on the 2nd straight.

• Rocky (@rocky) said on 16th October 2011, 21:27

I thought it was a brilliant race with of course the exception of first place. DRS was brilliant, I have always maintained that DRS should allow a competitive car to get passed the dirty air zone and into the braking zone alongside the car in front requiring a good pass to get by, but also allow faster cars to get passed slower cars after pit stops and not be held up. Gave it a 9 as the race never include Vettel, at least not on TV.

2. sid_prasher (@) said on 16th October 2011, 8:46

Going with 8, could easily have been 10 if Button and Alonso could have challenged Webber and Hamilton.

Wonderful racing between Hamilton and Webber and a champion’s drive from Vettel.

3. 7. It would’ve been an 8 if that precocious German Justin Bieber fought some more.

• And once again DRS is proving itself to be extremely artificial. It needs to be scrapped completely and just let the drivers get on with it without these Mario Kart aids.

• Antranik (@antranik) said on 16th October 2011, 8:51

Get over it already, its definitely not a “Mario Kart aid”… I agree that on this particular track it failed miserably, but in other tracks like suzuka or China, it was a great thing to have.

• Sorry, but I hate it and I don’t agree ‘it’s a great thing’ because it’s still an artificial aid. The new tyres are enough.

• sid_prasher (@) said on 16th October 2011, 9:20

I think the problem is more in the rule than in the system itself…here they got it wrong with the placement.

• Miss Chief (@miss-chief) said on 16th October 2011, 18:26

Now the teams understand the tyres more I don’t think the tyres are the game-changers they were at the beginning of the season. Without DRS it would be even more of a procession than it is now.

• JoMcl said on 16th October 2011, 10:12

Yes DRS not good for this race, although WEB would have been further back, and we would have missed the HAM/WEB moments.
        Sometimes I wonder if the DRS should not be used in reverse: used when the driver is more than 1 sec from the guy in front!

• Huron (@huron) said on 16th October 2011, 21:04

Last time I checked, F1 cars do not grow naturally, so everything about F1 is artificial.

• 1 of the 3 said on 16th October 2011, 9:19

“Bieber” did what he needed to do: Passed Hamilton and got on with it in the beginning. Then even after the safety car got on with it again showing just how much better he is than the rest of the field.

• Commendatore (@commendatore) said on 16th October 2011, 12:00

You mean how much Newey’s RB7 is better than the rest. :)

• F1fanNL (@) said on 16th October 2011, 15:26

Which explains how Webber won every race Vettel couldn´t… Oh wait.

• DuncStick (@duncstick) said on 16th October 2011, 19:41

all that shows is that vettel is better than webber (which no-one is questioning) put hamilton/button/alonso in an RB7 and they would win just as much as vettel. Neweys massively dominant cars have played a HUGE role in vettel’s WDC victories.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 17th October 2011, 22:44

Just like McLaren played a huge role in Hamilton’s WDC. And Renault in Alonso’s WDC’s…

What was your point exactly?

• GameR_K (@gamer_k) said on 16th October 2011, 9:51

While Bieber passed Hamilton and went on to win the race, what does that make of Hamilton?

• AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 16th October 2011, 17:06

Fight from where, 1st?!

Job done.

• Roberto (@roberto) said on 17th October 2011, 2:32

LOL..If anyone is the ‘Bieber’ here it’s pretty-boy Hamilton who is getting his @ss handed to him by Vettel AND his teammate currently.

Doubt anything will shut the Vettel doubters up guys. Once Hamilton jumps ship and joins Red Bull in 2 years and Vettel beats him AGAIN it will be ‘Oh but the TEAM is favouring Vettel.. it’s got nothing to do with his skill’. Excuses are wearing thin and the doubters are making me laugh more and more lol..

4. Rammstein said on 16th October 2011, 8:48

7. Enjoyable race. Very dissapointed for Shumi. Go Vettel.

5. tattsbrah (@xbarrettmatex) said on 16th October 2011, 8:48

DRS totally ruins real overtaking moves outside of the DRS zone. 7/10

6. FullSpe3d (@dryyoshi) said on 16th October 2011, 8:48

Even as a Mclaren fan I wanted Webber to get past Hamilton and challenge Vettel. DRS is awful, worst detection point ever, if you pass at the first corner you just get un-passed at turn 3. Probably an 8 from me.

7. Antranik (@antranik) said on 16th October 2011, 8:49

7/10

First half was awesome! Second half, not so much. The race was good overall, but it was quite boring at times.

8. Shomir (@shomir) said on 16th October 2011, 8:50

8.5/10, i’ll give it a 9 then!

Great start! Great Race by Vettel! Congrats to Red Bull!

9. Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 16th October 2011, 8:50

Good clean racing. DRS a crock but them’s the rules. Had my money on BUT, Pity it didnt rain.

10. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 16th October 2011, 8:51

5/10

More than any other circuit, the Korean International Circuit is divided into three separate sections. Each section clearly tests one aspect of the car: the first is its straight-line speed. The second tests downforce. And the third tests a driver’s ability to set the car up. The obvious intention is to encourage the drivers to play to the strengths of their cars, and hope that whatever advantage they have in two sectors offsets their lack of speed in the other sector. We saw this in qualifying – drivers were setting similar lap times, but they were getting their speed in different places. The problem is that his circuit was built before the DRS was introduced, and the DRS quashes the whole theory of it. Drivers can now set the car up for the second and third sectors, then use the DRS to cancel out the deficit in the first sector.’

Also, Turn 5 is completely pointless. I see no reason why the race cannot be run on that section of track the drivers were cautioned against using. It would make Turn 6 (and the entire second sector) faster without compromising Turn 4, which would still be a braking/overtaking point.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 16th October 2011, 10:06

I do think 5/10 is a bit harsh. The battle to keep Webber behind was really nice at times.

But you might be right on the circuit characteristics there, I think its a track that has promise, just the super long straight does not really work out as it should with the current cars.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 16th October 2011, 10:19

I don’t agree on that, at all.

We saw yesterday that the McLarens, the Red Bulls the Ferrari’s and even Mercedes we’re almost even in the first sector.

What we saw today was a result of little to no heavy fuel testing on either compound.
      McLaren had the quickest car over a single lap quite comfortably but their tires degraded faster during the race which then off course compromises the speed of the car.

We saw yesterday that the McLaren’s we’re more stable than any other car in both the 2nd and 3rd sector.

• sozavele (@formula-1) said on 16th October 2011, 11:06

6/10. A few battles at the start, highest point of action was the crash. Really boaring though, the final battle was the end and by that time I could have fallen asleep with being hardly anything happening.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 16th October 2011, 11:18

You’re entitled to your opinion, but you didn’t say why you voted a 5… I agree with your point, but why was this race a 5 and not a 4 or a 6?

11. Icthyes (@icthyes) said on 16th October 2011, 8:51

6/10, 1 point purely for Webber and Hamilton and 1 for the early doubts about the lead, apart from that nothing special.

• caci99 (@caci99) said on 16th October 2011, 9:37

I voted 6 too. Great start and fight in the opening laps, but after that … Alonso showed had the pace for the race ( I didn’t catch his last radio communication, did he said “I give up”?). Shame for Schumacher.
      The fight between Hamilton and Webber, was the best part of the race, but it was totally ruined by the DRS. I remember sth like this happened in Turkey between Rosberg and Massa. Hope this year experience helps FIA to improve this system next year, or even better for me, get rid off it.

• ajokay (@ajokay) said on 16th October 2011, 13:19

Same from me. 6. Apart from the closing battle for 2nd-4th at the end (which was only a batttle for 1 and a half laps), it ended up with them line-astern without any overtaking.

I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again, how anyone can rate races like this an 8 or a 9 is beyond me. The scale goes from 1-10 not 5-10. Think of the most classic races in the history of F1 ever being a 9.5 or 10. This in comparison was was clearly not an 8 or 9.

In fact now I’m wishing I had clicked 5 not 6.

• dirgegirl (@dirgegirl) said on 16th October 2011, 17:42

Agree, 6/10 – lots of 3-car processions in succession. LH/MW saved it from being a really boring race, but it was nothing special especially compared to other races this year.

12. Osvaldas31 (@osvaldas31) said on 16th October 2011, 8:52

I gave it 9, because Webber vs Hamilton battle was one of the most entertaining this season!

13. Adam Tate (@adam-tate) said on 16th October 2011, 8:52

No no no, doesn’t Petrov know Alonso is his target, not Schumacher ;)

All kidding aside, a great race.

Vettel once again proves his worth.

Great battle between Hamilton and Webber.

Good race for Massa keeping pace with and leading Alonso until the last stint.

Great race for STR!! Both drivers in the points and Jaime beating Rosberg!!

14. Kremer (@kremer) said on 16th October 2011, 8:54

I gave it a 9, because it was a great race from P2 on back.

Even the FOM world feed ignored Vettel through most of the race, and how many times do you see that? Everyone else behind made it an interesting race for the viewers.

• Mr draw said on 17th October 2011, 16:35

Great race from P2 to back? There was little to spice things up: there was almost no tyre wear and there were only a few overtakings. I was hoping for a heavy tyre-struggle and an immense fight for the lead, but it didn’t materialize at all. So if someone asks me: “Why is it worth sacrificing your sleep to see this race?”, I do not have a decent answer. The battle for the second place? The Petrov-Schumacher crash? Anyway, from time to time boring races occur, even in the 2011 season. Compared to some wonderful races like Spain or Canada this year, a “9″ for this race seems inappropriate.

15. TommyB (@tommyb89) said on 16th October 2011, 8:55

The start was similar to Japan, lots of close racing but nothing really going on. Then the end was fantastic. Amazing racing between Hamilton and Webber.

8/10 for me.