Rate the race: 2011 Korean Grand Prix

2011 Korean Grand Prix

What did you think of the Korean Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Korean Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (8%)
  • 6 (18%)
  • 7 (30%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (10%)
  • 10 (1%)

Total Voters: 449

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

171 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Korean Grand Prix

1. jsmith944 (@jsmith944) said on 16th October 2011, 9:23

Awful race DRS ruined other ‘normal’ overtakes (and I’m a fan of DRS!). Not much action, back to the same old run and hide from Vettel (not a criticism of him).

2. Slr (@slr) said on 16th October 2011, 9:23

8/10 – It was a decent race with some good battles all down the field.

3. Dan Thorn (@dan-thorn) said on 16th October 2011, 9:24

7 from me. The Webber and Hamilton battle was epic and there were some other nice battles but ultimately everyone drove so well and the cars were so even it effectively cancelled out any chances for more duelling. The promise of a four way scrap for second never really materialised and passing was a little too difficult.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 16th October 2011, 11:35

I don’t think passing was too difficult, I just thought Webber and Hamilton were too evenly matched for anything to actually happen. Webber was mega through sectors 2 and 3, but Hamilton could use the straight line speed of his McLaren to pull away. Plus he had better traction out of turn 1, which made it difficult for Webber – with a slower car in a straight line – to get anywhere near him into turn 3.

4. leotef (@leotef) said on 16th October 2011, 9:25

It seems obvious that unlike some claims McLaren has caught up RBR for the qualifying, it’s just only in qualifying and RBR seems to have reserved something for the race. In terms of race pace, the gap between McLaren and RBR was huge I think. Some insisted it was how you manage your tyre thru out the race as for what mattered for Hamilton and how excellent Button was in that aspect. But with this race, it turns out what matters was again the car mostly… they still are not in the same ground…

• John H (@john-h) said on 16th October 2011, 19:46

At Japan though McLaren were as fast as RBR in qualifying and the race.

I think McLaren would have been closer had they got there race setup right, which must have been a bit of a gamble seen as they only had FP3. I know RBR had the same, but perhaps they just managed it better – remember how they actually got some race data by running with fuel (I think) in Q1 on super softs?

5. Helen (@helen) said on 16th October 2011, 9:31

8 for me.
    I enjoyed it and have done for most of the season. I remember the snoozefest of the early 2000’s, so appreciate the action going on all down the field. The Korean track doesn’t look like one I’d save up my pennies to go and see though. Lots of empty seats again at a race, which is a shame for F1.
    BTW hope Hamilton cheers up, he needs a hug.

6. cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 16th October 2011, 9:32

I can’t believe so many people are rating this race so highly. 8 or 9 out of 10 is essentially almost perfect! Really?!

As usual, Vettel pranced off into a lead and was never seen again. Rosberg did his typical job of going backwards. The Force Indias were completely anonymous, along with Button. And of course, the Ferraris underperformed for the umpteenth time this year.

Either the DRS was ineffective, see Webber and Hamilton, or too effective, see every other overtake. Rosberg sailing straight past Button was particularly ridiculous.

The only decent racing was the scrap between Hamilton and Webber (in sectors 2/3), and that only lasted for half a lap.

This wasn’t a near perfect race. It was an average race, with average racing and an average result.

5/6 at best for me.

7. I genuinely have no clue. I think I may give it a 7. There was battles through the field, DRS was in a fairly interesting place, Lewis and Webber were terrific and the fight for second even though nothing changed was still fun to watch. However, it did lull in parts and I wasn’t on the edge of my seat for the majority. A good race but not a great one but that’s because Pirelli have set a very high standard this year.

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 16th October 2011, 11:33

@Steph Agree completely. I found it was actually quite a relaxing race for a change, and it gave me time to breathe and chat a bit more on Twitter! :P It just didn’t have that hectic feel to it that most of the other races have, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I wouldn’t call them “lulls”, because there was always a chance for something to happen with the drivers being so close to each other, but nothing materialised. It kept me engrossed, but as you say, we weren’t on the edge of our seats.

• bearforce1 (@bearforce1) said on 16th October 2011, 12:39

Exactly. Usually there is so much going on it is hard to keep up. I don’t understand why people aren’t happy with that.

You are right today was a little more relaxing but thoroughly enjoyable.

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 24th October 2011, 13:24

Well said, the close racing between HAM and WEB was great to see, but for the most part I could wake up slowly during the race after the first lap showed it wouldn’t be a fight for the lead, with Vettel in his default spot this year, and everyone else being left behind. Some nice fights, but not a great and tense race for the most part.

I’ll give it a 7 /10.

8. Joseph94 (@joseph94) said on 16th October 2011, 9:45

A very ‘average’ race. Nothing special. The DRS made over-taking WAY too easy in many circumstances..why don’t they just simply change the DRS advantage from giving them around an extra 12 kph more to around 7 kph!. I hope the next race proves to much better.
    Gave this race a mediocre ‘6/10′.

9. Mads (@mads) said on 16th October 2011, 9:46

I give this a 9.
    Another then Vettel on pole, and McLaren and RB was surprisingly evenly matched, yet Vettel just managed to gain the lead from Hamilton, and from there on the race was very close until Hamilton had ruined his tyres and started falling back, but then the safetycar came out and bunched them up again.
    Also a great race for TR, great to watch Algersuari sail past Rosberg.
    And Alonso was quite entertaining as well, nearly getting collected by Schumacher out of the pits, and a straight later nearly getting hit by Petrov.
    The Webber vs Hamilton duel was great as well, with Button hanging on behind and Alonso catching the lot of them.
    Button though was a real disappointment. He was a lot more anonymous then I expected him to, he didn’t try anything. Which was a bit of a shame, as a 3 way battle for the 2 last podium positions would have been even better.
    The DRS detection though was a bit stupid, as overtakes into turn one proved pointless.

• Joseph94 (@joseph94) said on 16th October 2011, 9:49

9/10!! ..are you on something high?.
      This was a very average race, not better than a 6/10!.

• Mads (@mads) said on 16th October 2011, 10:26

Tell me why you don’t agree.
        You say that it was average like it was a fact, but “rate the race” is an entirely subjective poll, and people have different opinions.
        The way I see it is, how entertained was I? And my answer to that is 9/10. I wasn’t bored for a second. Well okay under safety car, but it is what it is.
        I saw a fight for the lead, a very close fight for 2nd and 3rd, I saw crashes, I saw near misses and I saw great racing. There was let downs, but all in all I found it a great race.

• Oliver said on 16th October 2011, 10:39

It wasn’t ruined tyres that caused Hamilton to fall back but a very severe understeer.
      And if Mclaren was really that fast, Button should have got past Webber and Hamilton, as Button had fresher tyres.

• Mads (@mads) said on 16th October 2011, 13:07

The understeer was caused by heavy wear on the front tyres. In the beginning of the stint he was very close with Vettel, at times quicker, but later in the stint he started loosing pace because he lost grip on the front tyres.

10. Hatebreeder (@hatebreeder) said on 16th October 2011, 9:50

5/10. I didnt really like the track. Hardly any good place to pass. Apart from the start finish straight, and the other 2 straights, its just following each other. And webber would’ve made that move stick if it wasnt for DRS.

11. PEW (@pew) said on 16th October 2011, 9:57

I gave it 7 – we had no idea before the start how it was going to end. The race is not decided on Saturday these days.

12. 7/10 for me; it was a great race, no doubt about it with some great battles but it would have been more exicting if it rained and if Hamilton was challenging Vettel instead of Webber. Great race nevertheless.

13. If there’d been some kind of change of position in the 2-3-4 scrum, then it’d be higher, but I went or a 6: entertaining, but not exciting.

14. F1fanNL (@) said on 16th October 2011, 10:24

8 for this race. The fight between Webber and Hamilton was superb.

15. George (@george) said on 16th October 2011, 10:36

I’m surprised it’s gotten such a high rating so far, 6/10 for me. I found it interesting how the Red Bull was better in s3 and the McLaren in s1, apart from that and Petrov’s crash there wasn’t much to it.

Alonso did a great last stint then gave up, Button did his usual trick of sitting behind cars doing nothing. Webber, Hamilton and Alonso were the only drivers making it halfway interesting but in the end none of them could do anything.

It did have it’s moments, so I’ve rated it slightly above average, but I cant help but think that if the tyres had been more marginal the race would have been more exciting.