Rate the race: 2011 Korean Grand Prix

2011 Korean Grand Prix

What did you think of the Korean Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Korean Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (1%)
  • 3 (1%)
  • 4 (2%)
  • 5 (8%)
  • 6 (18%)
  • 7 (30%)
  • 8 (27%)
  • 9 (10%)
  • 10 (1%)

Total Voters: 449

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

171 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Korean Grand Prix

1. matt88 (@matt88) said on 16th October 2011, 10:36

8/10. Some nice battles, maybe some action missing in the end.

2. RagingInferno (@raginginferno) said on 16th October 2011, 10:41

7/10 for me.
    Good race, not great in my opinion. I never really felt like anything was going to happen that would drastically change the results. However I really enjoyed Hamilton’s battle with Webber especially when they were side by side in sector 2. It was also quite interesting (and impressive) to see Alonso make his way into the mix near the end of the race.

3. Gave it a 6/10. Great first lap and battle for 2nd place, but nothing else that was particularly of interest. The Hamilton/Webber scrap reminded me of the last lap battle between Webber and Button at Abu Dhabi 2009 in that it demonstrated that the car doesn’t need to get by for it to be entertaining. That being said, I think DRS did ruin it a bit today, and thats coming from someone who really wanted Hamilton to get a good result.

4. Hairs (@hairs) said on 16th October 2011, 11:19

2. There was a battle between Hamilton and Webber, but all it did was remind of the endless processions of years past, when one car sits behind another for 50 odd laps, waiting for someone on the pitwall to fix it so they get past.

A couple of nice passes, and Alonso’s moment of humour was good. But the race overall was mediocre, and being reminded of tedious races of years past makes me judge this one harshly.

5. To be fair, the race was good, but yet again the DRS was pointless. It is just some sort of Mario kart aid that will just be better getting rid of. It doesn’t help but then again it helped with the Hamilton/webber battle which was quite exciting to see but other things just seemed to be disappointing. Even Alonso proved that with his “I give up” sigh.

Petrov’s crash with Schumacher could of well and truly been avoided and he deserves that 5 place grid penalty.

I know I’m a McLaren fan but Button could have at least been made more interesting by going in and battling Webber for 3rd. I would liked to see both Button and Hamilton up there. Overall it was interesting but in some parts it was disappointing.

Overall for me a rating of 6/10. If there was more action between the top 5 then it could have easily been a 10.

6. kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 16th October 2011, 11:32

Not a bad race – 6 out of 10. The Hammo/ Webber duel made it a bit interesting, otherwise it would have been quite dull. That battle went on for 22 lap – almost half the race distance!
    The McLaren’s were not the best today on their tires, with Webber catching Lewis whilst on the Options and Lewis was on the Softs, and Button unable to capitalise on his better tires to make it a 3 way battle for 2nd place.
    Vettel romped off into the distance as usual, and Webber showed that he would never have been able to challenge for the lead even if he got past Lewis. What is interesting is Lewis’s last gasp fastest lap. Was this a fuel mixture result? Ultra low fuel suddenly improving the cars balance, or did his tires “come back” to him after the initial gaining phase? As i cant believe he had that pace in the car, but decided to entertain us by swapping places and dicing with Webber. All in all they both did well by it not ending in tears!
    Again, Lewis still subdued. I can believe more attention is not being placed on this. Lewis is definitely not unhappy with something at McLaren. His terse reply regarding braking zones is unusual, even for him, and his general demeanour is also highly unusual. This is definitely more than a result of his run of bad luck/form and criticism he has been getting. Maybe contract negotiations are not going well, or Whitmarsh’s love -in with Button is causing him some headaches. All will be revealed shortly, i am sure.

7. wigster (@wigster) said on 16th October 2011, 12:15

It was a 7 for me.
    The first lap was enjoyable, but things then quietened down. Unfortunately for the entertainment value for people who want to see a battle for victory the result was almost inevitable after the 4th corner, but then Red Bull and Vettel probably deserve some credit for that.

I think the battle between Webber and Hamilton saved the race from my point of view, along with the general closeness of cars in places 2 to 6. I also think Kovalainen deserves some credit for finishing in front of both saubers, neither of who appeared to have any particular problems, but unfortunately we didn’t see any of that on tv.

8. John H (@john-h) said on 16th October 2011, 12:19

6/10. Was going to be 5 but I liked the cheer that the grandstand gave Vettel when he got out of the car. DRS once again showing how horrible it is (to me and quite a few others it seems). Ham/Web showing why its great to have drivers like them in F1.

9. bearforce1 (@bearforce1) said on 16th October 2011, 12:49

9 for me. There was lots to recommend it.

Vettel being sublime. If he was your fav driver you would all be like wow he is just amazing. I honestly think we are seeing something special from Vettel this year.

I was thinking during the race that Hamilton might win it before his tyres went off. I think people forgot this bit.

Then there was the battle between Lewis and Webber. That was epic.

Schumacher getting taken out.

Alonso driving his guts out.

Really exciting Hamilton radioing in continually checking how many laps to go cause he was under pressure. Really really thrilling.

and that wasn’t all…

10. roberttty (@roberttty) said on 16th October 2011, 13:12

7/10 for me.

I am expecting some low scores from others just because it is yet another dominating Vettel victory, but there were good fights between HAM, WEB, BUT and ROS and ALG.

11. Chris Yu Rhee (@chris-yu-rhee) said on 16th October 2011, 14:00

All in all a “brilliant” race. I was pleasantly surprised to see the turnout at the track, too. Looks like March is on our schedule next year.

12. taurus (@taurus) said on 16th October 2011, 14:09

6/10. Apart from Hamilton and Webber battling for a couple of laps, ’twas yet another Tilke-drome borefest.

• Slowhands (@slowhands) said on 16th October 2011, 17:33

Then why give it a 6? I agree completely with you, and gave it a 1. 6/10, to me, means better than average. Life is sad when an “absolute bore fest” comes out to a better-than-average grade. It’s like up-grading in school so as not to hurt a student’s “self-esteem.”

13. 73ben (@73ben) said on 16th October 2011, 15:19

5 for me. Does anyone else think that the idea of quick degrading tyres to spice up the racing has had and is increasingly having the adverse effect. For me it feels like the formula has become too much of an endurance focused race, with qualifying being neutralised by virtue of the fact fresh rubber is more important than grid position. How many times has a driver in mid field machinery finished in the points due a problem that left then 22nd on the grid with unused tyres. Or teams in Q3 not going on track for the same reason.

Then in the races we have seen that all the attacking drivers ham alo web and i suspect kub had he not have had his accident have been neutralised by the fact that if they drive the way they would normally they end up going slower. Leaving one normally slower driver BUT appearing to be in form, when really the rest of the field except our runaway winner ( also with smooth driving style) have really just gone backwards due to over investing into their laps.

Now as the very clever engineers/ strategy guys are more consistently working out how not to leave their drivers exposed, we are not even seeing the overtaking we saw at the start of the season.
    Also aren’t the average race lap times way lower than last year despite DRS and KERS and quali times suggesting they should be faster?
    Does anyone else agree?

• rfs (@rfs) said on 16th October 2011, 16:02

Alonso is driving just fine. His only problem is that his car has only been good enough to win one race.

Hamilton’s problem isn’t so much with the tyres, but just with a general lack of concentration.

Button is still a little less talented than Lewis IMO, but Button has made far, FAR better use of his talent and his car this year than Hamilton. That’s why he’s looking so good.

As for Webber, the Pirellis have been a major headache for him, but I also think losing the world title last year to Seb left him deflated. He said himself that 2010 was his only chance at a world title.

Cars this year are a few KGs heavier than last year, and they don’t have double diffusers or F-Ducts anymore. Also they only had to make one pit stop per race with the Bridgestones.

• 73ben (@73ben) said on 16th October 2011, 16:53

Thanks, some very valid points. Maybe I am a bit of a purist that misses races being won by drivers stretching the limits of there cars speed and not by the person who preserves their tyres best over the course of the race.
        Just a bit disenchanted with this season.

• Slowhands (@slowhands) said on 16th October 2011, 17:29

I agree completely with you. I disagree with rfs that Hamilton’s problems are not with the tires. He doesn’t have a LACK of concentration–he is an extremely focused individual. He has actually been trying TOO HARD because the way these tires need to be driven undercuts his driving strengths and leaves him frustrated when, if he drives like he wants to, they go away rapidly. He is having to try to figure out how to change his driving style in a fundamental way, and that means changing his mental approach to racing, which is very difficult at this stage of his career as his previous approach is so ingrained and has been so successful for him in the past. I think Korea is an example of him surrendering to the fact that a fundamental change in these parameters is necessary for him to finish well, and it is good to see that he is willing to do it, but it will deprive us fans of the relentless attacking style that brought a breath of fresh air into F1.

• 73ben (@73ben) said on 16th October 2011, 17:56

Thanks. Nice to see that it is not just me. I just hope that the powers that be get pirelli to make the tyres less marginal in a bid to prevent abstinence in qualifying. I did not think that last season was broken and don’t see why it needed fixing.

• rfs (@rfs) said on 16th October 2011, 18:45

The reason why I think he lacks concentration is because of his recent accidents. Like in Hungary where he spun from the lead. Or Spa where he didn’t realise Kobayashi was right next to him going into Les Combes and then ended up in the barriers. Or his recent collisions with Massa. Why else would mistakes like these happen? Tyres made of cheese may hinder Hamilton’s natural style a bit, but they haven’t been the worst of his problems IMO.

14. budchekov (@budchekov) said on 16th October 2011, 17:05

Gave it an 8, the Hamilton/Webber dice was worth the price of admission.

15. Slowhands (@slowhands) said on 16th October 2011, 17:20

Boring race. Abysmal track layout for consequential racing. The tight sections are contrived, have little or no “flow,” and many corners are spaced so closely that the car is difficult to put on its limit and stay there. DRS had no effect. I was hoping the rain would come to spice things up. Webber-Hamilton the only interesting phase. I actually turned it off around lap 50. 1/10