Vote for the Korean GP driver of the weekend

2011 Korean Grand Prix

Start, Korea, 2011

Start, Korea, 2011

Who was the most impressive driver throughout the Korean Grand Prix weekend?

See below for my pick of the best drivers in the Korean Grand Prix.

Review each driver’s race weekend in detail below and vote for who you thought was the most impressive driver.

For your consideration

Here are some of the drivers who impressed me during the Korean Grand Prix weekend:

Sebastian Vettel – Notched up his tenth win of the year after breaking free of Hamilton on the first lap.

Lewis Hamilton – A welcome return to form, he was especially impressive in qualifying to put something other than a Red Bull on pole for the first time this year.

Jaime Alguersuari – Matched the best result of his race after chasing down the tyre-troubled Nico Rosberg.

Sebastien Buemi – Like his team mate, enjoyed a great race with the updated STR6, delayed only by being hit at the first corner.

Heikki Kovalainen – Finished ahead of both Saubers and was reeling Bruno Senna in at the end to boot.

Compare all the drivers

Review what happened to each driver over the race weekend and compare their performances with their team mates using the links below:

Red Bull: Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber
McLaren: Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton
Ferrari: Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa
Mercedes: Nico Rosberg and Michael Schumacher
Renault: Bruno Senna and Vitaly Petrov
Williams: Rubens Barrichello and Pastor Maldonado
Force India: Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta
Sauber: Kamui Kobayashi and Sergio Perez
Toro Rosso: Sebastien Buemi and Jaime Alguersuari
Lotus: Jarno Trulli and Heikki Kovalainen
HRT: Daniel Ricciardo and Vitantonio Liuzzi
Virgin: Timo Glock and Jerome d’Ambrosio

Vote for your driver of the weekend

Which driver impressed you the most throughout the Korean Grand Prix weekend? Cast your vote below and have your say in the comments.

[poll id="290"]

Rate the Race: Korean Grand Prix

Don’t forget to cast your vote in the ‘rate the race’ poll as well:

Image ?é?® Korean GP/Sutton

104 comments on Vote for the Korean GP driver of the weekend

1. Shomir (@shomir) said on 18th October 2011, 5:49

Hard Choice between Alguersuari and Vettel.

When was the last time Vettel had won a race not from pole? Sometime this year i think??? nonetheless great drive by Sebastian.

I voted Alguersuari though, Great race, definitely beat Buemi this weekend, albeit only slightly, and great overtake on Rosberg on the Last Lap :)

Hope to be Seeing Alguersuari with a Red Bull Drive next year or 2013 if Webber has already signed his contract :)

2. IDR (@idr) said on 18th October 2011, 5:51

For me Hamilton was the driver of the day… on Saturday, but Sebastian did an impressive job on Sunday. He is starting to demonstrate me RBR success is not only the car, but the driver also. The way he managed all race after this impressive start (from a very dirty side in Korea) showed me the excellent driver he is.

3. Shomir (@shomir) said on 18th October 2011, 6:02

Just wanted to lol at the one guy who voted for Petrov xP

4. Kremer (@kremer) said on 18th October 2011, 6:16

Thinking thru the race, I had to give it to Vettel, no matter how much I didn’t want him to win.

He made the most of his car from the start and continued to stretch his lead regardless of what was happening behind. He maintained focus throughout pitstops and tyre changes – passing who he needed to and keeping the necessary pace until the checkered.

That said, I really wish Louis could have won. :P

5. SempreGilles (@sempregilles) said on 18th October 2011, 8:03

I voted for Alguersuari. Did a decent job in qualification, and drove a stunning race. Best of the rest in a car that 6 years ago was a Minardi glued to the back rows. It really shows how the small teams (STR and Fi) are making progress.

6. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 18th October 2011, 8:10

Easily the second best driver on the field this weekend, but because he took the car and felt like he had it controlled for the first time since Germany (maybe Hungary?) It has to be Hamilton for me.. A superb Quali lap, finally knocking the Red Bulls off, backed up by a good, clean, consistent race…

I’m just amazed not as many people share my views when you look at the results!

7. smifaye (@smifaye) said on 18th October 2011, 8:44

For me Sebastian Vettel the reason being he showed all weekend that he did just what he needed to do. Red Bull took the decision to “compromise” qualifying by concentrating on the race. If that is Red Bull compromising then McLaren and Ferrari should be really worried for next year.

Vettel showed his racing ability in the first lap and made it stick. He was over a second ahead of Hamilton after the first lap.

8. Copersucar (@copersucar) said on 18th October 2011, 10:21

3. At least McL didn’t win, and definitively lost the WCC. Could have been a 5 if both Webber and Alonso had left behind the McLs.

9. Copersucar (@copersucar) said on 18th October 2011, 10:41

Alonso. Rock-solid performance in a clearly inferior car.
    Worst part: Got blocked at the start by Webber, when he was going faster and looked like he could recover a few positions.
    Best part: Succesfully and masterfully played chicken with Petrov and won. And oh-so-closely avoided a ballistic Petrov after the crash by a deft course correction, some reflexes there.

10. I’m just curious how you can start on pole and come second and still recieve accolade. If that had been his team mate, the haters would have been laughing for months.

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 19th October 2011, 0:11

Let’s not forget he was second place by 10 seconds or more even after SC wiped out the previous 10 second gap. You can’t get a DotW for that.

• F1fanNL (@) said on 19th October 2011, 1:29

Better yet, if it was Vettel who started on pole and finished second everybody would have said he can’t drive for **** and can only win in a far superior car.

And if Hamilton started second, took first on the first lap and then drove to the finish faultlessly he would have gotten 400+ votes for sure…

But most voters here aren’t biased…

Now Hamilton is winning DotW with Alguersuari, Buemi, Vettel and Kovalainen getting more out of the car than Hamilton did… That says it all doesn’t it.

• McGregski (@mcgregski) said on 19th October 2011, 13:46

Possibly sounding biased being a Hamilton/McLaren fan but to only be 10 seconds behind Vettel after the 30+ lap battle with Webber is pretty good.

The speed at which people lose position when defending is normally a lot higher.

This could be due to Vettel slowing down and cruising but Lewis showed his class this weekend… Vettel just eeked the extra performance that his car has had all year long – proven by the fact that Webber (who has been slower all year) was also clearly faster than Lewis in Korea

11. Vettel. Lewis was great but Vettel was smart during quali and did everything right during the race. It was a really close call for me between the two but given how close quali was and then how much Seb flew during the race it just had to be him for me.

12. 91jb12 (@91jb12) said on 18th October 2011, 13:30

also, I’m going to sound biased but Hamilton is getting DotW mostly for his textbook defensive driving to hold off a faster Webber for 30+ laps.
    I didn’t see Vettel getting it for holding off a faster Alonso and Button for an equally uncomfortable number of laps on a track where the slightest lock up would be the end. (OK its harder to pass there than Korea but…)

• Mads (@mads) said on 18th October 2011, 15:32

(OK its harder to pass there than Korea but…)

True, but Webber was what? Half a second quicker per lap or something.
      Vettel was well over a full second a lap slower, on tyres that would have been more grippy had they been made from cheese.
      I agree with you that it does seem weird.
      I think Hamilton is a very deserving candidate for DOTW here, and I understand why he is leading the poll, but I find it very hard to fathom why Button was voted DOTW in Monaco…

• F1fanNL (@) said on 18th October 2011, 20:41

Clearly most voters just won’t and will not vote for Vettel, no matter what he does…

• Thecollaroyboys (@thecollaroyboys) said on 19th October 2011, 0:07

Nor Webber

• F1fanNL (@) said on 19th October 2011, 1:32

Yeah, Red Bull drivers don’t count because their car is “so much faster” (slower in Japan during the entire weekend, slower in quali here) than any other car.

For them to become DotW they probably have to finish the race in reverse,.. On the podium,… Blindfolded,…. With only hand on the wheel….

In the rain…

• lewymp4 (@lewymp4) said on 18th October 2011, 18:22

• McGregski (@mcgregski) said on 19th October 2011, 13:50

I would love to see… Vettel, Webber, Alonso, Hamilton and Button do a GP distance at Spa in an HRT all the same car and see what happens

Would be a true test of who is the better driver, I wonder how much HRT would bill them for the seat

13. lewymp4 (@lewymp4) said on 18th October 2011, 18:20

Lewis……his performance should dispel to any reasonable person, that tire management really isn’t a huge problem for him, in which he receives constant unjustifable criticism.l

14. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 18th October 2011, 18:32

I chose Vettel over Hamilton, just because of the race result. Apart from that, I would have to pick both.

15. Lord Stig (@lord-stig) said on 18th October 2011, 18:40

I put in my vote for Kovalainen. I think we all suffer (myself included) of the the winner was the best drive syndrome. Kovalainen certainly made the best out of the Lotus. Other than Kovalainen I would have to say Hamilton did quite well. He certainly has been driving rather terribly recently for whatever reason and it was good to see the Hamilton of old.