New Jersey Grand Prix expected to be announced on Tuesday

2013 F1 calendar

New York 2013 F1 track plan

New Jersey 2013 F1 track plan

Formula 1 is poised to confirm a second race in the USA.

The Wall Street Journal reports a press conference will be held on Tuesday is expected to announce plans for a race in New Jersey beginning in 2013.

This would be the second American round of the championship alongside the Austin Grand Prix, which will take place for the first time next year.

Provisional plans for a circuit were revealed in August:

If the project comes to fruition it will realise Bernie Ecclestone’s long-held plans for a race in the New York area.

F1 in New York

191 comments on New Jersey Grand Prix expected to be announced on Tuesday

1. Part of me says “yay” over and over again because a race in NY is great and the fact we might have 2 races in America when just a few years ago the 05 disaster happened is terrific. However, I’m not quite sure if anywhere deserves two F1 races particularly when America doesn’t yet seem sold on F1 as it has Indy etc. not that I’m against F1 expanding quite the opposite but this has tried and failed before and two races means further to fall.

I also firmly believe that instead of giving existing F1 host countries more races the calendar should be expanding. Ideally, I’d love somewhere like SA or Argentina even if that’s not likely to happen but I feel F1 should be making more groundwork to make this a proper world championship which it just isn’t at the moment.

I know a lot of people are against races in say South Korea and Singapore etc. but I love them because it’s the chance to expand somewhere new and create a motorsport culture for that country. It is the future of F1 and I’ve felt for years now that the most underwhelming thing about F1 isn’t the lack of innovation these days but the calendar. I’m not Bernie’s biggest fan but I do admire his push to get F1 to new places even if it does seem to be to the richest nations but now it needs to be more balanced so while I’m personally delighted at this there is a twinge of wishful thinking that it couldn’t be somewhere new.

2. F1Yankee (@f1yankee) said on 22nd October 2011, 20:13

wow, i’m pleasantly shocked

3. HawksFan (@hawksfan) said on 22nd October 2011, 23:45

Hey this would great to havea F1 race right in my back yard. well not really iam about 45 min out but i hope it dose happen that would be sweet..

4. James Robertson (@mclarenboy0310) said on 22nd October 2011, 23:57

This seems like a sick place for gp. Just hope it will be a real challenge for seriously good racing.

5. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 23rd October 2011, 0:05

Absolutely brilliant news. This could make for a pretty viable trip from the UK too I would think.

This surely has to be the ultimate place for a street circuit?

6. Dave (@dworsley) said on 23rd October 2011, 0:41

Sick… I’ll try and be in NY by the time the NJ GP comes around.

7. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 23rd October 2011, 1:14

that track looks so dull that it almost makes me miss that old Las Vegas track where they used to run in the car park

8. roberttty (@roberttty) said on 23rd October 2011, 1:37

With the Singapore GP due for contract negotiations, do you think Bernie is using the New Jersey GP to put some pressure on the Singapore organisers to pay him more money?

9. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 23rd October 2011, 2:26

By doing this Bernie will erase one of the GP from Europe I think.Or may be China is on the firing line.

10. ccolanto (@ccolanto) said on 23rd October 2011, 3:03

This track sure looks a lot like Montreal.. hmmmm

11. Eastman (@eastman) said on 23rd October 2011, 4:58

Now, where to slide this race into an already crowded calendar?

After Montreal in the spring? I can’t see it being held before/after Austin because of the chilly possibilities of November.

Also doesn’t this only continue to hurt Montreal sales? East Coasters like myself would certainly have a very easy time of arriving in New Jersey/New York in the spring. Many fellow Americans I spoke to at the track this year mentioned they’d rather visit Austin in 2012. Another race only 600km away would seem possible to continue to deteriorate Canadian ticket sales.

12. Zegga (@zegga) said on 23rd October 2011, 8:05

Hopefully someone gets out there and films a lap of the proposed circuit soon.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd October 2011, 8:30

Well, this proposal is two months old. Things could well have changed in the time since. Especially to the bottom end of the circuit; the above proposal looks awkward. Something like this would be viable. And it would be a little shorter that the standard 5.5km length for new circuits, so the race would be 61 laps instead of 55. Or they could go for a longer, Spa-like length.

• David B (@david-b) said on 23rd October 2011, 8:44

Spa-lenght option is great, but it seems to me there is a quick stretch of, say, a couple of miles. Absolutely difficult to accept for a street track, for safety reasons (well…even if at Korea they run a 1 km straight between two concrete walls…)

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd October 2011, 8:57

I doubt it would happen, but it would be fantastic if it did. And Formula 1 is safe enough to be able to handle a two-mile blast along an arterial road – the drivers are the best in the world at what they do, so how about we stop treating them like they need to be wrapped in cotton wool?

13. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd October 2011, 8:37

Something interesting that I’ve noticed: there’s not really a lot of space for the pits. I first thought they’d go along the Avenue at Port Imperial, but the pit lne would end up being over a kilometre long. A lot of the suggestions that I’ve seen online have been along the lines of this, with the pits squeezed along the Ferry Boulevard at the south end of the circuit. Here the lane would only be four hundred metres long, but I don’t think that it would be an appropriate place for the start/finish line. The old US Grand Prix West at Long Beach used to have the start and finish lines separate for “safety reasons” (which I have never been able to determine), so that the race was run over eighty and a half laps. Could we perhaps see that here?

14. Support Formula 1’s return to the US..

15. Ellsbury said on 23rd October 2011, 17:35