New Jersey confirms 2013 F1 street race plans

2013 F1 calendar

Keke Rosberg, Williams, Detroit, 1985

Keke Rosberg on his way to victory at Detroit in 1985

Plans for a second Grand Prix in the United States of America were formally announced today.

A street race at New Jersey will join the F1 calendar in 2013 with the title Grand Prix of America.

It will join the Unites States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas which is due to join the calendar next year. It will potentially increase the number of races on the F1 calendar in 2013 to 21.

The event organisers confirmed a ten-year deal to hold the race and revealed the revised 5.15km (3.2 mile) clockwise street circuit:

The USA last held two F1 races in 1984, when street races in Detroit and Dallas were held within two weeks of each other.

F1 in New York

Image ?? Williams/LAT

169 comments on New Jersey confirms 2013 F1 street race plans

1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 26th October 2011, 3:24

How long will it be before we see #Occupy Pit Lane?

2. Sergio Perez (@sergio-perez) said on 26th October 2011, 3:38

Looks quite similar to the Macau circuit/Grand Prix, with the seaside low part and the uphill section…

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 26th October 2011, 3:58

I think the most interesting corner on the circuit is going to be the natural chicane at the top of Pershing Road. It’s going to be right at the top of the the half-kilometre hillclimb, and opens out onto John F. Kennedy Boulevard; JFK is a series of sweepers and ends with a braking zone (and overtaking point) at Donnelly Memorial Park. So I think the chicane will be the most crucial corner on the circuit, the point where the most lap time can be found. It looks slow, but I think the drivers are going to take it at or near full throttle if they can.

4. bearforce1 (@bearforce1) said on 26th October 2011, 4:37

OMG almost universal love/approval from the F1Fanatics. This track must be good.

Is it me or does is seem that elevation is the key to exciting circuits for most commenting here.

Personally elevation including overpasses really do trigger my “that’s way cool” inner child.

5. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 26th October 2011, 7:04

Larger version of the map. Check out the first few corners: there’s grandstands on either side. I just wish they’d smooth the final corner out to be like the last corner in Melbourne. And Turn 3 looks like a nice, fast flick onto a very narrow bridge.

6. TED BELL said on 26th October 2011, 7:46

Thanks for the photos and info about the JerseyF1 site. As the comments have come in , info provided is starting to clear up some details that I missed earlier…This might be better than I first thought…thanks to everybody.

7. Alain (@paganbasque) said on 26th October 2011, 8:10

Well, the track seems to be very fast and demanding, those elevations could be interesting and I can appreciate two corners where overtaking could be possible. But the best part is that its really fast so it could be a good track. By the way, the views are excellent.

I really hope that this GP will receive a huge support from the people of the area. And this is a question for the north americans of this blog, Do you really think that this race will be a success??

The only thing I dont like is that some resources say that some years this race could replace Montreal, and being(in my opinion) the canadian track simply awesome this would be a blasphemy for me! :(

• And this is a question for the north americans of this blog, Do you really think that this race will be a success??

@Alain It’s hard to say, but I’m going to stay optimistic. :-) When the promoters of the Senna movie partnered with SpeedTV to show the British GP at a bar in Manhattan — and this event started at 7:00 am on a Sunday morning here — that was a big bar, and it was packed. I think everyone was surprised by the huge turnout.

I’m hoping that (a) the large number of people living in this metropolitan area who are from countries where F1 *is* quite popular and (b) the ease with which people from other fairly heavily populated cities nearby on the East Coast can get to NYC will result in this GP being a big success. Fingers crossed.

That said, I hope this GP doesn’t interfere in any way with the Canadian GP, which is one of the major highlights of the calendar!

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 26th October 2011, 12:32

There are twenty million people living in the Greater New York Metropolitain Area – the five boroughs of New York City, plus the New Jersy side of the Hudson River. In order to get a sell-out crowd, the Grand Prix of America would need 100,000 people, or just 0.005% of the local population.

• US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 27th October 2011, 7:16

@aka_robyn You can also factor in people travelling for the race. I’ll be coming from Seattle, and others here have already expressed interest in traveling from the UK and Europe, as they would like to visit NYC anyhow, and this doubles their motive to do so. So between out of towners and the large numbers of fans in the city, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if they can sell out or come close. We’ll see!

• Alain (@paganbasque) said on 27th October 2011, 7:51

Yeah, it would be a good “excuse” to visit NYC, I have never visited your country, mainly because of the annoying “custom procedures” we have to suffer to enter in the USA.

8. Chalky (@chalky) said on 26th October 2011, 8:31

I thought I’d check the local news web site to see what sort of fuss was made of this news.
    Front page on http://www.nj.com and there’s nowt. News, even F1, is just yesterdays news for NJ. However, pop over to a more specific county ‘Hudson’ and there it is in all it’s glory.
    Fantastic track maps showing the proposed grandstands and pits complex in it too.

9. vjanik said on 26th October 2011, 10:43

i hope they make the 2 US races back to back. that way you can watch one GP and have a Top Gear style road trip to NY to watch the second. wow what a great holiday. l already cant wait.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th October 2011, 10:45

They did this in the eighties, trucking down from Montreal to Detroit. Later they extended it to include Mexico City. Quite a trip!

• Alan (@dogmop) said on 26th October 2011, 17:00

Montreal to NJ to Austin would be great if they ordered it that way (Though I’d expect Montreal-Austin-NJ just to be awkard, if they did even have them back-to-back).

Montreal to Mexico City would just be amazing, how about Montreal to Interlagos? :D

10. box this lap (@sebashuis) said on 26th October 2011, 13:35

Next to Hamilton Park! hahahaha

11. javlinsharp (@javlinsharp) said on 26th October 2011, 14:11

I wonder if we could get the USA National anthem as “sung” by an F1 engine a la http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JPBdBIFGNQ.

…o’re the land of the Freeee… Bouncing off 18k rev limiter… epic

12. KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 26th October 2011, 16:44

I’m sorry, I just can’t get excited at the prospect of another race in a country that F1 doesn’t really belong in, while we’re having races come in from Korea, India, Russia, Argentina, South Africa and all the others..

There is only 1 exciting street circuit. Valencia isn’t a street circuit, and Singapore only has the backdrop to it’s credit. No street circuit can rival Monaco, so why bother?

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 26th October 2011, 16:52

@KeeleyObsessed We’ve had American world champions, American race winners and 52 rounds of the world championship in America. The second largest group of F1 Fanatic users by nationality is American.

If F1 doesn’t belong in America, then where does it belong?

• damonsmedley (@damonsmedley) said on 26th October 2011, 16:57

Samoa.

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 26th October 2011, 17:00

@KeeleyObsessed Basically, what Keith said.

I’m all for F1 expanding to new countries, as long as there is genuine enthusiasm for F1 there and we don’t lose too many of the tradition nations that have a rich F1 heritage as a result.

The USA clearly deserves a race because of its rich F1 heritage. Your argument about another street circuit is a lot more legitimate, I feel, but nothing’s ever going to replace Monaco so I’m happy to have further street circuits compliment it on the calendar as long as they are good, exciting tracks.

• KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 26th October 2011, 17:00

But having a second race in America just doesn’t make sense.. F1 is supposed to be a GLOBAL sport, (Yes, I’m disappointed about the 2 Spanish GPs aswell, even calling Valencia the ‘European GP’ doesn’t change anything in my view)

The last American driver was Scott Speed, who I believe raced for Toro Rosso in his last season (2006? Or 2007?) and didn’t particularly cause much of a stir in the same way as Kobayashi/Sato for Japan or even Petrov for Russia.

The Texas GP is brilliant to bring F1 to the US, but we don’t need another one in NY. Particularly with all these new races coming in recently, and in the near future..

• MJRoberts55 (@mjroberts55) said on 26th October 2011, 17:07

I am of the belief that F1 belongs where the fans are but FOM are of the belief that F1 belongs where the money is. If the rumors are true and we are about to lose Belgium to a sharing agreement with France then this is absolutely tragic.

• Yes, please, I second Keith’s question: I’m anxious to be enlightened as to where F1 does belong.

• Chris Goldsmith said on 26th October 2011, 17:11

There are plenty of places which could create street circuits to rival Monaco. Maybe not in exactly the same ways as Monaco, but in terms of sheer spectacle. Imagine a Tokyo night race bathed in neon, or a London race against a backdrop of the houses of parliament and buckingham palace. Plenty of places can deliver lots which races like Monaco can’t – close wheel to wheel races being one of them. F1 is about technology, and about the future, at least as much as it is about the past. What makes racing better than so many other sports is that the venue is always different, and always presenting a new challenge.

F1 belongs anywhere there’s a circuit which is technically demanding, produces good racing, and there’s enough of a demand to fill the grandstands. Why does F1 belong in North America? Because for all the sponsors, and all the factory-backed manufacturers, North America is one of the biggest commercial markets for them. If the sponsors see a good return, then that’s ultimately what keeps the sport going. And that can never ever be bad for F1.

• King Six (@kingsix) said on 26th October 2011, 17:15

It’s impossible to create anything that could rival a track like Monaco or Spa, these circuits are illegal by modern FIA standards for new circuits.

• Chris Goldsmith said on 26th October 2011, 17:23

In the case of Monaco, you may have a point – nobody is going to approve a race in such a tight, twisting area where you can get very few spectators. Monaco’s popularity is about 70% down to nostalgia factor. Every year Monaco serves up a predictable race where the person on pole almost always wins, and drivers sit frustrated behind slower cars with no chance to pass. Of course, there’s always the close proximity of the barriers, and there is something to be said for the sight of a top driver like Hamilton or Kubica wringing everything out of their car, dancing the rear wnd through the turns and leaving the tyre logo plastered on the barriers, but we tolerate the processional racing because, well, it’s Monaco isn’t it!

Spa on the other hand, I can’t see any reason why there would be any problem building another Spa. The characteristics of tracks like Spa or Monza aren’t the flavour of the day in terms of track design, with more thought being given to maximising the spectator areas than seeing how fast the cars can go, but Spa does comply with all modern requirements in terms of runoff areas and safety. The only reason they don’t make more like that is because it’s an old fashioned track which doesn’t fit with the current vision of the future of F1. I don’t agree with that, personally, and would rather have a season of five Spas than a hundred Bahrains, but that’s the way it is. Sadly.

• KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 26th October 2011, 17:22

F1 doesn’t belong to the US any more than it belongs to the UK, Australia, Korea, India or Zimbabwe.. No country should have more than 1 GP.. Regardless of money or the power it can wield over the rest of the world..

I’d love F1 to return to Brands Hatch, as it’s a lovely track and it’s easier for me to get to. But if they announce tomorrow that there will be a 2nd British GP at Brands Hatch to be held alongside Silverstone then I’ll react in the exact same way.

• Chris Goldsmith said on 26th October 2011, 17:29

But why? That’s what I don’t understand about what you’re saying. Why are you saying it’s more valid for F1 to go to some Emirate state where there will be no more than a couple of hundred people in the grandstands, who lose interest after the first race, than to put races in places where there will be thousands of eager fans who will come back year after year?

F1 should be anywhere that there’s a passion for the top level of motorsport which is sustainable for years. That’s the US in a nutshell. And it’s a big enough place that you can have two different races with totally distinct venues with their own unique atmosphere, their own type of fans, hell even their own time zones. North America is huge. Huge country, huge market, huge fans.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 26th October 2011, 17:26

@keeleyobsessed how you dare naming Argentina as one of those places F1 doesn’t belong to?

Just shows what your saying lacks any kind of logic and common sense. Argentina, as USA, belongs to F1

• KeeleyObsessed (@keeleyobsessed) said on 26th October 2011, 17:34

@Fer-no.65 No country has the right to have 2 GPs in their country. Whether it’s America, Spain, or any country. I merely picked out a few examples.

My point is that if a country has 1 GP, it shouldn’t try and get another. If they were to alternate it between circuits (much like Germany has) then I’d be fine with it, but having 2 GPs in the same country is just wrong in my opinion.

When it comes to deciding which races will have to go, that’s an entirely different argument..

13. MJRoberts55 (@mjroberts55) said on 26th October 2011, 16:57

The only thing that matters is how much FOM are charging the promoters to host the event. The higher value the less successful this event will be. In an ideal world FOM would charge nothing, so the tickets could be dirt cheap but sadly we don’t live in that world.

14. celeste (@celeste) said on 26th October 2011, 17:54

I only need to save US$10.00 a day for a year to be able to go to New Jersey! Yay for me!!!!! (This expecting the ticket wont cost me more than US$650)

15. taurus (@taurus) said on 26th October 2011, 18:16

F1 belongs in America. At Watkins Glen.