Romain Grosjean will drive for Renault in two practice sessions before the end of the season, the team have confirmed.
The GP2 championship winner will drive in the first practice sessions at the Abu Dhabi and Brazilian Grands Prix.
Grosjean, who started seven races for Renault at the end of 2009, has been tipped to drive for the team in 2012.
Team principal Eric Boullier said: “Romain has been part of the [Renault] family since February and we feel this is an appropriate time to give him a chance to drive for us during two free practice sessions.
“Putting his skills to the test in two consecutive Friday sessions will offer him precious experience of driving the R31 during a race weekend and will make him a better driver.
“I?óÔé¼Ôäóm sure that his feedback will be useful for the team, especially as he raced in F1 only two years ago. Since then, he has improved in every area and I?óÔé¼Ôäóm sure he?óÔé¼Ôäóll do a good job for us. We will be able to do this without compromising our usual Friday set-up work in any way, and as of free practice two at both race weekends, Bruno and Vitaly will return to their cars.”
Grosjean said: “It will be a big responsibility for me and my priority will be to do the best job I can for the team.
“I know all the team?óÔé¼Ôäós mechanics and engineers, am familiar with the methodology and processes and I know the two tracks I?óÔé¼Ôäóll be testing on. I also feel that the racing I did in the GP2 Series this year will stand me in good stead fitness-wise.
“Finally, I did some F1 testing for Pirelli during the winter at the beginning of this year, so the tyres shouldn?óÔé¼Ôäót be too alien to me. I believe all the right elements are in place to make this a great experience, and I don?óÔé¼Ôäót feel too much pressure going into this.”
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles