Sauber: Point for Perez, disaster for Kobayashi

2011 Indian GP team review

Sergio Perez claimed a point despite a penalty, while Kamui Kobayashi collided with Timo Glock.

Kamui Kobayashi Sergio Perez
Qualifying position 17 20
Qualifying time comparison (Q1) 1’27.876 (+0.627) 1’27.249
Race position 10
Laps 0/60 59/60
Pit stops 0 2

Sauber drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):

Kamui Kobayashi
Sergio Perez 109.631 115.409 94.39 93.761 93.738 93.958 93.955 93.176 94.008 93.456 94.014 92.937 93.29 93.394 94.06 93.208 92.632 92.218 92.774 92.122 91.629 92.156 91.502 91.868 91.969 92.044 92.054 91.187 91.575 91.138 91.093 91.295 91.129 94.073 112.032 93.548 90.58 90.677 90.572 90.858 91.188 90.366 90.528 90.407 89.942 90.678 89.867 90.24 89.905 89.898 89.594 91.396 91.31 89.945 89.639 89.905 89.355 89.345 90.132

Kamui Kobayashi

Start tyre Soft

Kobayashi failed to progress beyond Q1 for the third time this year. He couldn’t get his tyres up to temperature and claimed he was delayed by Felipe Massa.

He had to run wide at the first corner to avoid Rubens Barrichello. As he returned to the track he turned in front of Timo Glock and the pair collided.

Kobayashi continued but stopped a few corners later: “I saw smoke and fire coming from my car. Obviously there was severe damage, so I had to stop and switch the car off.”

Kamui Kobayashi 2011 form guide

Sergio Perez

Sergio Perez, Sauber, Buddh International Circuit

Sergio Perez, Sauber, Buddh International Circuit

Start tyre Hard
Pit stop 1 Soft 22.676s
Pit stop 2 Soft 24.789s

Perez described his qualifying session as “very bad” after falling three-tenths short of his Q1 time in Q2.

He had the same penalty as Lewis Hamilton for failing to slow sufficiently for yellow flags in the first practice session.

Perez gambled on starting the race on hard tyres and came into the pits at the end of lap one to change to softs. He spent much of the first stint behind Paul di Resta before passing the Force India driver.

He resisted race-long pressure from Vitaly Petrov to claim the final points place: “At least this way I can pay back something to the team after I made that mistake on Friday.”

Sergio Perez 2011 form guide

2011 Indian Grand Prix

Browse all 2011 Indian Grand Prix articles

Image ?? Sauber F1 Team

19 comments on Sauber: Point for Perez, disaster for Kobayashi

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 31st October 2011, 12:53

How a headline can really say it all …

I think Perez did a really good job to make it work after an own goal on friday collecting the penalty. Not sure what happened to Kobayashi, might it be he feels the heat from a very solid teammate as well?

2. marco_ferrari said on 31st October 2011, 12:59

I wonder where is the “excellent” driver, who should get a drive for McLaren, Red Bull or Ferrari? Sauber fell down, but still Pérez managed to score 12 points in the second half of the year, while Kobayashi only 2… Shame, that Sauber has already confirmed their drivers for 2012… :(

3. QuantumForce said on 31st October 2011, 13:40

Crashes are part of racing..If Sauber were doubting the abilities of Koba who has impressed many of us since the last 2 races of 2009 once in a while, they would not confirm their line up..

Add to the fact Sauber really need some sponsor money, i am not so sure about how much Koba can bring to the team..Certainly, he is no Sakon Yamamoto clone..Sad to see Kazuki Nakajima not having a race seat..He seems to be lost from the F1 radar..

Never before have we seen a more promising Asian driver..Koba just needs the right car..

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 31st October 2011, 13:48

I agree that it would be good to see Kobayashi in the right car, but I still think Sauber is the best place for him.

It’s great that they are holding on to these two for 2012. I know Perez’s destiny may lie with the Dark Side of the Grid (and I wish that wasn’t the case) but I think Sauber have a great chance to build themselves into a better team with continuity in their driver line-up.

It is a bit concerning how they’ve fallen back slightly since earlier in the season. I’m sure they would’ve seen themselves fighting Force India instead of trying to hold off Toro Rosso at this stage of the season.

4. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 31st October 2011, 13:41

I’m very pleased that Perez was able to get a point after his penalty. The way he held off Petrov at the end of the race was very impressive, considering he would’ve been under a lot of pressure. Rookie of the year for me by far.

Another disappointing weekend for my man Kobayashi though. But I think he was unlucky in the race and when you get caught up in Turn 1 drama, there’s not a huge amount that you can do about it.

I suppose he should’ve made it through Q1, but once again Sauber were so keen to try and save tyres that they decided to limit them both to just the one run at the end of the session. I’m not sure if I agree that’s the best strategy, if I’m honest. If anything goes wrong or there’s something wrong with the car or the car lacks grip compared to P3, like it appears was the case here, you’re just backing yourself into a hole and increasing your chances of getting caught up in drama at the first corner.

I wish Sauber would be a bit more agressive sometimes. The conservative approach worked in Melbourne for sure, but I wish they would keep trying to force it everywhere else.

5. QuantumForce said on 31st October 2011, 13:57

Sauber is indeed a good place to start a career in Formula 1..Kimi Raikkonen started there and ended up being a champion..Felipe Massa almost become one too..

Nick Heidfeld & Giancarlo Fisichella might not be the best driver nurtured by Sauber..But if we consider how much Sauber was willing to take risks with his line up and how much he believes in the abilities of his drivers, Peter Sauber knows what he is doing..

Good to point out it was Sauber the Swiss which funded for the debut of Micheal Schumacher with Jordan..We know how that ended up..

• bosyber (@bosyber) said on 1st November 2011, 8:18

Didn’t Fisichella start with Jordan, in the same year that Ralf Schumacher started his F1 career there?

Maybe I’ts too long ago and I misremember things, but I have distinct memories of them being fast and crashing into each other at several occasions, two yellow cars standing there smoking and EJ explaining that’s the risk you take with two fast young rookies …

6. wow, I think most of the comment here supporting perez must be made by mexicans.
    He is a very normal driver, Kobayashi has almost as twice points as perez. perez in a good car is ahead of barrichello, maldonado,senna,de la rosa, heidfield, trulli, luizzi ,etc, drivesr that have really bad cars or drivers that are not competing any longer.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 31st October 2011, 17:06

Yes, Kobayashi has out-scored Perez over the whole season. But look the way the wind is blowing. Perez is the only driver to score points for Sauber over the last seven races.

Your eagerness to ascribe other people’s opinions to their nationality is patronising and doesn’t lend any credibility to your own point of view.

• You just got owned big time @tete LOL.

As a Mexican, I have just followed Sauber closely this season, so I cannot comment whether this lack of progress over the season is a trend or a fluke. What I do can say, is that I believe most of the teams are doing their homework better while Sauber seems stagnated.

I think both Perez and Koby are great drivers, however Perez has been able to make the most out of a weaker car as shown through his performance on the last races. Perhaps Koby’s driving style requires more top-speed as opposed to other characteristics. What you guys think? Best Regards

7. wasiF1 (@wasif1) said on 1st November 2011, 3:07

The team don’t have any pace but it’s there clever strategy that is helping them to collect all the pieces.