Your favourite F1 drivers & teams: November 2011

2011 F1 season

Jenson Button, McLaren, Buddh International Circuit, 2011

Jenson Button leads the popularity contest

One of my favourite new features on the site is the ability for F1 Fanatic to pick which drivers and teams they support.

With that in mind, I’ve had a look who you’ve picked so far and compiled this look at the most popular drivers and teams on F1 Fanatic right now.

Keep in mind these figures are not set in stone – they will change as more people join in on the site and others shift their allegiances between drivers and teams.

Drivers

Which drivers F1 Fanatic readers are supporting - November 2011

Which drivers F1 Fanatic readers are supporting - November 2011

• Jenson Button is the most popular driver among F1 Fanatic readers right now. Around one in eight F1 Fanatics (12.4%) who’ve used the site since the new version was launched picked him as a driver they’re supporting.
  • Kamui Kobayashi’s third place in the list underlines his reputation as a fan favourite.
  • Robert Kubica may not have raced this year but he’s far from forgotten and well inside the top ten.
  • Despite only having entered F1 mid-season, Daniel Ricciardo already had more than 50 fans
  • Some people picked only one driver, others picked as many as ten or more
  • To find out how many people support each driver, type their name into the search box and select results for members

Teams

Which teams F1 Fanatic readers are supporting - November 2011

Which teams F1 Fanatic readers are supporting - November 2011

• McLaren are way out in front – Having the two most popular drivers probably helps!
  • Support is spread quite evenly among the remaining teams, with Lotus a surprise third. Will they still be as popular when they become Caterham?
  • HRT and Virgin have failed to win many fans here so far.
  • To find out how many people support each team, type their name into the search box and select results for members

What year you started watching F1

Year 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Number of F1 Fanatics who started watching in this year 4 0 0 2 1 0 2 1 0 1 1 2 0 3 5 4 3 5 2 1 6 3 4 1 1 3 12 6 6 7 12 8 7 4 13 23 24 14 20 19 34 27 35 22 55 35 49 41 53 45 44 16 20 23 25 30 29 60 34 29 27 12

Most of us started watching F1 in the last 20 years.

But there’s plenty of F1 Fanatics whose memories stretch back far further – some even as far as the first years of the world championship.

Over to you

This is a snapshot of which drivers and teams are the most popular at the moment – but how will it look in a few months’ time? We’ll take another look at who’s earning your support again in the future.

You can change your selections at any time. Just log in and go to go to My Account > Profile > Edit > F1 teams and drivers.

Are you in the majority or minority when it comes to which drivers and teams you support? Have you changed your allegiance recently? Have your say in the comments.

2011 F1 season

Browse all 2011 F1 season articles

165 comments on Your favourite F1 drivers & teams: November 2011

1. Zing Zang said on 5th November 2011, 14:58

It is strange how a very keen man as yourself didn’t mention that HUGE spike from 2006 to 2007 Kieth. :) Or you want us readers to highlight it first?

Anyway I started watching the Schumacher Ferrari days. About 2001.

2. NomadIndian (@nomadindian) said on 5th November 2011, 15:19

Well, two of my current favourites are in the top 2, although the attitude I like KK for hasn’t been on display of late… I thought Michael would be at least in the top 5…

Although, initially I felt hard pressed to say who I like of the current drivers, in spite of greater coverage (e.g. pre-podium lounge audio) there’s very little personality on display…

But, another great article Keith… great insight …

3. d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 5th November 2011, 15:42

Wow, I am the 99%, button fan, mclaren fan.

Its a good thing i am also a NAHRAIN fan!

4. Fixy (@fixy) said on 5th November 2011, 15:44

I picked Liuzzi, Buemi, Trulli, Alguersuari, Massa, Perez, Barrichello, HRT and Toro Rosso (and other more popular choices). Proud to be in the minority!
    Out of me only other 8 people support Tonio! :(

5. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 5th November 2011, 15:49

So…
    Joe Saward has nine F1F accounts?

6. Lucas Alexander Munro said on 5th November 2011, 15:52

I started watching F1 at the last race of 2008.

7. Mike the bike Schumacher (@mike-the-bike-schumacher) said on 5th November 2011, 16:05

well i guess it was to be expected that mclaren would be the most popular, nice to have an idea of how some incidents may be biased by people’s allegiances

8. Schumacherisboss (@schumacherisboss) said on 5th November 2011, 16:47

MERCEDES SCHUMACHER

9. Cryptowillem (@cryptowillem) said on 5th November 2011, 17:59

I marked myself down as having started following F1 in 1997, because of Jacques Villeneuve. I watched a bit before, but with races on so early in the morning from Canada, it was more just an excuse to spend time with my dad.

But when I think about it, while I watched the races plenty back then, my interest waned for a few years before coming back in earnest around 2004.

10. sid_prasher (@) said on 5th November 2011, 18:02

Reading this on the phone so I might be wrong but have others noticed the massive spike in 1994?
    A bit surprised that Ferrari is so far behind and schumi too. I think the driver leader board would look very different if past drivers were also added.
    Regarding the question of brit bias – I think that cannot be assumed. EPL is extremely popular in Asia for ex. Maybe its a language barrier of the site.
    Keith will know where all the fans of the site come from – will be an interesting chart :)

11. Sheesh, I feel old looking at that “What year…” graphic. Heck I feel old every time Vettel talks about his carting and meeting Schumi. The current crop of drivers and very close championships in past few years though makes me not doubt that the sport has attracted lots of new fans. And it’s nice to see passing again, regardless of how its getting done.

12. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 5th November 2011, 18:52

With my selections, I’m quite clearly in a majority (though I find that to be quite surprising)
    Fantastic to see Kovalainen being in so high position!

13. I wanted to fill in my preferences but was not able, since Ronnie Peterson was not on the list of supported drivers. I realize that Ronnie is not going to win podiums and WCD points any more, but he still means more to me than any recent driver. I just wonder, if in the two lists (drivers, teams) there was a new option “I do not particularly care for any of the above, I just enjoy good racing”, how high would it place in the charts?

14. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 5th November 2011, 19:52

I’m not British, but my support of F1 could well have been. I saw the last couple of races of 1991, and started watching in earnest in 1992. I inherited my support of Mansell from my brother and father (and followed him into Indycar in 1993 and 1994), and then adopted Damon Hill as my new hero in 1993.

When Damon’s career came to an end, my interest in the sport started to wane, as there was not really one driver I wanted to win above all others. Schumacher’s domination in the early 2000s did nothing to increase my interest in F1, and some Sunday afternoons when I had other things to do, I might even have skipped some races.

Then in 2007 Lewis Hamilton burst onto the scene and rekindled my interest in F1, culminating in my discovery of F1Fanatic during this year’s winter testing.

I was also surprised to see Button as the most popular driver, and I think there are two reasons to contribute to this:
    1. His recent upturn of form, obviously
    2. The fact that he is an eminently likeable guy; many people who list a number of supported drivers, often have Jenson among them. Lewis also has a strong following, but there are also a lot of people who dislikehim.

15. AlonsoWDC (@alonsowdc) said on 5th November 2011, 20:12

I didn’t select neither a driver nor a team when editing my profile.

Aside from it being evident, I sorta shy away from fanboyish tendencies, which probably doesn’t sound evident. But the vast majority of my replies are not about Alonso.

I suggest that the same vein we rate Jean Todt’s approval ratings every so often, we do the same for drivers and teams. I used to keep a rolling Word .doc of the rankings of F1 drivers, per personal taste and opinion. It can vary even among myself.