2011 F1 season
Vijay Mallya says he won’t bow to pressure to put an Indian driver in his car.
The Force India team principal said he will put the interests of his team first: “Everybody has been quite critical of me, particularly in India, as to why I don?óÔé¼Ôäót have an Indian driver in the car.
“They?óÔé¼Ôäóre trying to force comments out of me on the two Indian drivers that we currently have and I?óÔé¼Ôäóm not going to fall into that trap. All I know is what?óÔé¼Ôäós good for my team and that?óÔé¼Ôäós what I?óÔé¼Ôäóve been doing.”
Mallya, who is also honourary chairman of the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India, praised the three young drivers selected for Force India’s One From A Billion Hunt to find a young Indian racer:
“I?óÔé¼Ôäóve often said that amongst 1.2 billion people there?óÔé¼Ôäós got to be a Lewis Hamilton somewhere. We found three exceptionally talented kids, all 14 or under.”
Mallya added he was yet to make a decision on whether Nico Hulkenberg would replace Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta in 2012:
“All the drivers have asked me to make an early decision, and I respect that. I have a big decision to make! But it?óÔé¼Ôäós not made yet ?óÔé¼ÔÇ£ I?óÔé¼Ôäóm not the type of guy who?óÔé¼Ôäós going to make a decision and string people along. When I decide I will just tell them the way it is and that?óÔé¼Ôäós it.”
Mallya admitted the team are under pressure from a resurgent Toro Rosso for sixth place in the championship: “Toro Rosso has clearly made a huge step since Japan. We?óÔé¼Ôäóve also made a bit of a step with the upgrades we brought to India.
“But at the end of the day you never know until the last race is over. We found that out painfully last year when Williams pipped us by one point, but now I think we?óÔé¼Ôäóre comfortably in sixth position, ahead of Toro Rosso as well as Sauber. But it?óÔé¼Ôäós never done until it?óÔé¼Ôäós done.”
2011 F1 season
- New video of Maldonado and Hamilton’s Monaco crash
- How well do you remember the 2011 F1 season? Take the F1 Fanatic quiz
- The 2011 F1 season: The complete F1 Fanatic review
- Your 2011 F1 predictions revisited
- Barrichello tipped to stay at Williams
- 2011 F1 statistics part 3: Stats and facts highlights
- 2011 F1 statistics part two: Vettel’s domination
- 2011 F1 statistics part one: car performance
- New 2011 rules produced best racing of last four years
- What F1 Fanatics really thought of the 2011 season
Browse all 2011 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Force India F1 Team