Rate the race: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (4%)
  • 4 (7%)
  • 5 (16%)
  • 6 (24%)
  • 7 (28%)
  • 8 (9%)
  • 9 (4%)
  • 10 (3%)

Total Voters: 490

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

234 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 13th November 2011, 15:01

6/10 for me. Ironically it would have been better with Vettel there, as Hamilton surely had the pace. Even Alonso would have challenged him, but I enjoyed it none the less!

2. Younger Hamii (@younger-hamii) said on 13th November 2011, 15:01

7,Possibly would’ve gave it a 6 had Lewis not won the race today,Congrats to him Brilliant & Controlled victory.Also a great Drive from Fernando as well.

I would say today was an average race you would expect from this season,DRS produced something decent although not exciting or spectacular.

3. Becken Lima (@becken-lima) said on 13th November 2011, 15:04

It was perfect… ok, ok: just joking. It was a very, very average race, but was nice to see Lewis winning again. The old Lew is back.

And after all, not hear VettelĀ“s celebration and Horner radio transmissions was a blessing!

Race: 7/10
    Lewis win:10/10

4. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 13th November 2011, 15:05

3/10. Two points for the two short scraps between three cars and one point for the slightly different strategies.

Negatives:
    – Yas Marina. When the highlight of the track is the phallic shaped hotel, there’s something wrong with it.
    – DRS zones so close to each other.
    – Either Pirelli brought a too conservative tyre choice, or the teams are too good at setting up their cars in the latter part of the season. This could’ve easily been a Bridgestone race.

• DRS Zones being close together was a good thing. For a change the guy defending actually had a chance to effectively defend by being able to pass back so instantly.

At least today the guy leading wasnt doomed to be past the moment he was caught, he actually had a chance!

One of few races i thought DRS actually helped the show, cos it gave equal opportunity to the attacker and defender.

5. Dave_F1 said on 13th November 2011, 15:06

Double DRS zone was terrible, That sort of passing/Re-Passing is just an artificial gimmick which is neither exciting or real racing!

I don’t like DRS anyway but today it was even more ridiculous.

6. I gave it a 6… this is based on what I have given other races and on how enjoyable it was. I would have loved to see the double world champion fighting his way up the field but sadly it didnt happen. Pretty dull race… but look forward to the pictures later, they are always lovely at this track.

7. Bookoi (@bookoi) said on 13th November 2011, 15:08

VINTAGE Abu Dhabi. Unfortunately.

Enjoyed the opening laps (well, the bits that weren’t hidden behind numerous replays of the start) and Mark Webber’s battles/alternative strategy, but otherwise a bit stagnant.

8. paolo (@paolo) said on 13th November 2011, 15:10

4/10 from me.

First lap was excellent, but despite threatening to produce some good battles (Massa/Webber, Webber/Jenson, Mercedes) nothing ever really materialised.

Everyone that is slamming DRS, which would you prefer: DRS providing some (artificial) overtaking or absolutely no overtaking and a processional race? I would personally go for the first.

• Dave_F1 said on 13th November 2011, 15:26

Id rather watch real racing which DRS isn’t.

I’d also rather see exciting overtaking which is something DRS does not provide.

Also the main critisise today isn’t so much DRS, Its the fact that DRS was providing passing/repassing which was completely artificial.

• but for a change it was at least a battle as the double zones allowed the guy to pass back.

surely that is better than the guy behind flying past without a fight. At least now he had to think about the 2nd zone coming up. You cant take away the defenders tools completely.

• Dave_F1 said on 13th November 2011, 21:04

Disagree, I thought the Passing/Re-Passing was completely ridiculous, If I wanted to watch stuff like that I’d just watch Nascar.

Even David Coulthard who has refused to critisise DRS all year actualy admitted that it’s artificial & gimmickey.

9. Rlewis said on 13th November 2011, 15:10

I would give the race a ten, if for no other reason than that it answers a lot of questions about drivers and the technical features of this season. But, I would really like to know why Button didn’t come over and congratulate his team mate as he did Vettel in the previous race. That clears up a few things, but all in all the race was competitive.

10. Jonathan189 (@jonathan189) said on 13th November 2011, 15:13

I know the race organizers were desperate for a more interesting race this year… but I think leaving a thumbtack on the apex of turn 2 was taking it a bit too far.

11. Gonna say a 6.

Much much much better than the previous two races, but still not a classic.

I thought DRS was excellent, it created some really good battles, like Buemi and di Resta early on in the race.

It also proved how improtant and useful KERS is to a driver, by looking at Button’s speed after he regained the KERS Button.

Hamilton and Alonso drove like a dream, and the race was hugely improved. Whether that was DRS or KERS or what, it was much better.

12. LuvinF1 (@luvinf1) said on 13th November 2011, 15:15

I saw the race as a five … and the only reason it was that high was from watching the mid-field duke it out for position.

13. STSCM (@stscm) said on 13th November 2011, 15:17

What might have been, if Vettel hadn’t had the flat he was still well ahead of Hamilton on the second corner. If his upright hadn’t broken to see him work it back up through the field would have made this a much better race.
    Not too many exciting bits overall. Button did a fantastic job keeping it together, Webbo’s strategy was interesting, the Speed crew went nutz watching the pit boys lounging to the last change.
    A beautiful view on a mediocre track. 6/10.
    Much harder to determine the #1 driver of the weekend/race though.

14. xtophe (@xtophe) said on 13th November 2011, 15:19

6/10

It wasn’t that exciting for me personally. It was less boring than the previous two iterations. As said before, there was more passing, but not that much actual overtaking.

• Dave_F1 said on 13th November 2011, 15:51

“there was more passing, but not that much actual overtaking.”

And that is the problem with DRS it creates passing & not overtaking.

15. harishvadde (@harishvadde) said on 13th November 2011, 15:19

Pitstop rules should seriously be changed, it should be upto the team to decide on the no. of stops they wanna make. Webber made some interestings passes in the last few laps, but wasn’t much handy cuz of his 2nd last lap stop.
    The race did have some interesting moments with button and webber going full on, and also between di resta and buemi.
    Overall a decent race.

16. Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 13th November 2011, 15:25

I went for 7. I was disappointed that Vettel dropped out as we didn’t ever see whether Hamilton was actually pushing his hardest holding off Alonso, so their relative pace to Vettel would’ve been interesting.

DRS in the midfield was a bit of a joke. But interestingly at the front it looked to be a lot more even and less artificial, I don;t know why that would be but it would be interesting to here if anyone else thought that too??

A controlled win for Hamilton was a big surprise, as was Alonso’s pace in an inferior car, he clearly outperformed the machinery he was given.

17. Estesark (@estesark) said on 13th November 2011, 15:27

Positives:

Someone other than Vettel won.
    Alonso and Hamilton pushed each other for most of the race. There was a time when I really thought Alonso was going to jump Hamilton at the pits, but it obviously didn’t happen.
    Good strategy choice by Mark Webber to make things interesting at the end, helped by a spin by Felipe Massa – under pressure?
    Great drive by Nico Rosberg, brilliant first lap fight with Michael Schumacher.

Negatives:

Practically all of the overtaking moves were made with DRS, which feels artificial and doesn’t hide the fact the circuit is really poor.
    The two DRS zones meant that an overtake in the first was usually nullified in the second.
    Not a lot of genuine wheel-to-wheel fighting after the first lap.
    Cars being lapped interfered with the leading cars too much. I wouldn’t mind seeing the blue flags scrapped altogether, but while it’s there, drivers have to abide by it.
    The big performance gap between the two tyre compounds made almost all the cars go with the same strategy. There wasn’t enough tyre wear to make that an interesting aspect to the race.

Overall, 4/10. It probably would have been a three if Vettel had dominated once again, as I expect he would have done if not for the early puncture. You could already see how much of a lead he was pulling out at the first corner, as he tends to do.

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 13th November 2011, 15:30

Also, I can’t believe how 10/10 votes are given to just about every race. Either some people are trolling, or they’re blinded by their love for the winning driver, or they really haven’t watched any classic F1 to see how much better is can be, and has been.

18. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 13th November 2011, 15:36

Rated 5 for the race. Left me wondering when was the last time I really sat at the edge of couch; tapped my hell nervously during the race.

Thrilled for Lewis’s come back & very disappointed with Schumi’s race pace ; very inconsistent.

19. adamtys (@adamtys) said on 13th November 2011, 15:37

7 from me, as the race was good but not amazing. Good fight between But-Web-Mas.

20. Girts (@girts) said on 13th November 2011, 15:38

9/10.

I must admit that I’ve fallen in love with this circuit. I love the modern buildings, the lights and the shiny cars.

I think we saw a very good race, too. There was drama in the 1st corner, there were different strategies, some nice on-track battles and a very meaning win for Hamilton. I think there were too many penalties for ‘ignoring blue flags’ so no 10 but a very convincing 9 from me.