Rate the race: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Debates and polls

What did you think of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix? Rate the race out of ten and leave a comment below:

Rate the 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten

• 1 (2%)
  • 2 (2%)
  • 3 (4%)
  • 4 (7%)
  • 5 (16%)
  • 6 (24%)
  • 7 (28%)
  • 8 (9%)
  • 9 (4%)
  • 10 (4%)

Total Voters: 490

Loading ... Loading ...

1 = ‘Terrible’, 10 = ‘Perfect’

See the results for past seasons here:

234 comments on Rate the race: 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

1. Gonna say a 6.

Much much much better than the previous two races, but still not a classic.

I thought DRS was excellent, it created some really good battles, like Buemi and di Resta early on in the race.

It also proved how improtant and useful KERS is to a driver, by looking at Button’s speed after he regained the KERS Button.

Hamilton and Alonso drove like a dream, and the race was hugely improved. Whether that was DRS or KERS or what, it was much better.

2. LuvinF1 (@luvinf1) said on 13th November 2011, 15:15

I saw the race as a five … and the only reason it was that high was from watching the mid-field duke it out for position.

3. STSCM (@stscm) said on 13th November 2011, 15:17

What might have been, if Vettel hadn’t had the flat he was still well ahead of Hamilton on the second corner. If his upright hadn’t broken to see him work it back up through the field would have made this a much better race.
    Not too many exciting bits overall. Button did a fantastic job keeping it together, Webbo’s strategy was interesting, the Speed crew went nutz watching the pit boys lounging to the last change.
    A beautiful view on a mediocre track. 6/10.
    Much harder to determine the #1 driver of the weekend/race though.

4. xtophe (@xtophe) said on 13th November 2011, 15:19

6/10

It wasn’t that exciting for me personally. It was less boring than the previous two iterations. As said before, there was more passing, but not that much actual overtaking.

• Dave_F1 said on 13th November 2011, 15:51

“there was more passing, but not that much actual overtaking.”

And that is the problem with DRS it creates passing & not overtaking.

5. harishvadde (@harishvadde) said on 13th November 2011, 15:19

Pitstop rules should seriously be changed, it should be upto the team to decide on the no. of stops they wanna make. Webber made some interestings passes in the last few laps, but wasn’t much handy cuz of his 2nd last lap stop.
    The race did have some interesting moments with button and webber going full on, and also between di resta and buemi.
    Overall a decent race.

6. Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 13th November 2011, 15:25

I went for 7. I was disappointed that Vettel dropped out as we didn’t ever see whether Hamilton was actually pushing his hardest holding off Alonso, so their relative pace to Vettel would’ve been interesting.

DRS in the midfield was a bit of a joke. But interestingly at the front it looked to be a lot more even and less artificial, I don;t know why that would be but it would be interesting to here if anyone else thought that too??

A controlled win for Hamilton was a big surprise, as was Alonso’s pace in an inferior car, he clearly outperformed the machinery he was given.

7. Estesark (@estesark) said on 13th November 2011, 15:27

Positives:

Someone other than Vettel won.
    Alonso and Hamilton pushed each other for most of the race. There was a time when I really thought Alonso was going to jump Hamilton at the pits, but it obviously didn’t happen.
    Good strategy choice by Mark Webber to make things interesting at the end, helped by a spin by Felipe Massa – under pressure?
    Great drive by Nico Rosberg, brilliant first lap fight with Michael Schumacher.

Negatives:

Practically all of the overtaking moves were made with DRS, which feels artificial and doesn’t hide the fact the circuit is really poor.
    The two DRS zones meant that an overtake in the first was usually nullified in the second.
    Not a lot of genuine wheel-to-wheel fighting after the first lap.
    Cars being lapped interfered with the leading cars too much. I wouldn’t mind seeing the blue flags scrapped altogether, but while it’s there, drivers have to abide by it.
    The big performance gap between the two tyre compounds made almost all the cars go with the same strategy. There wasn’t enough tyre wear to make that an interesting aspect to the race.

Overall, 4/10. It probably would have been a three if Vettel had dominated once again, as I expect he would have done if not for the early puncture. You could already see how much of a lead he was pulling out at the first corner, as he tends to do.

8. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 13th November 2011, 15:36

Rated 5 for the race. Left me wondering when was the last time I really sat at the edge of couch; tapped my hell nervously during the race.

Thrilled for Lewis’s come back & very disappointed with Schumi’s race pace ; very inconsistent.

9. adamtys (@adamtys) said on 13th November 2011, 15:37

7 from me, as the race was good but not amazing. Good fight between But-Web-Mas.

10. Girts (@girts) said on 13th November 2011, 15:38

9/10.

I must admit that I’ve fallen in love with this circuit. I love the modern buildings, the lights and the shiny cars.

I think we saw a very good race, too. There was drama in the 1st corner, there were different strategies, some nice on-track battles and a very meaning win for Hamilton. I think there were too many penalties for ‘ignoring blue flags’ so no 10 but a very convincing 9 from me.

11. taurus (@taurus) said on 13th November 2011, 15:40

This race is the epitome of everything thats wrong with the sport – it is too artifical, clinical, clean, with an awful track that doesnt punish driver errors and only provides overtaking with silly gimmicks like DRS. The ‘use both tyres’ rule does absolutely nothing but make cars slower and is just as artifical as DRS and KERS.

You can tell it was a bore-fest by the BBC F1 team dragging out the enquiry into Vettel’s puncture.

Jake Humphrey: “Seb, what happened?”
    Vettel: “We got a puncture…”

Also, FOM’s director missed absolutely everything today. Shocking.

Haven’t heard the name Kenny Handkammer since Murray retired!

• GT_Racer said on 13th November 2011, 15:56

‘Also, FOM’s director missed absolutely everything today. Shocking.’

Yeah, I gather they were not using one of the usual 2 directors this weekend.
      They have 2 directors which get cycled through the year, One of them is really good (Who used to work on F1 Digital+) & the other is still good but not quite as good.

Don’t really know much about the guy they used today other than he has directoed coverage for some lower categories in the past.

12. AndrewTanner (@andrewtanner) said on 13th November 2011, 15:40

I enjoyed that, 7/10 for me.

I think we had some great, close battles, namely Buemi and Di Resta. I couldn’t get my head around that at the time, but I heard he had rear traction issues, resulting in his retirement.

A shame the final stint came to nothing, Alonso yet again couldn’t get the F150 to work with the prime tyre.

Kudos to Vettel for doing the right thing and keeping himself busy with the telemetry.

13. Yobo01 (@yobo01) said on 13th November 2011, 15:41

4/10 for me.
    As I thought, very exciting opening lap, but there wasn’t anything else to watch after that. The DRS was a joke, Buemi passed Di Resta and was passed on the following straight three times. That’s nonsense.
    The battle for third could have been interesting but it was ruined by lapped cars.
    When Vettel got the puncture, I thought it could have been an exciting race, because he had to recover from last place. Unfortunately he had to retire.

14. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 13th November 2011, 15:49

I gave it a 7.. If the Championship wasn’t already over, it would have been much more exciting but it would be unfair to reduce the rating based on that.

As a race in it’s own right, there was some good overtaking (aided by DRS), some boring passing (solely down to DRS) and some interesting strategy.

As I said at the start though, it all just feels like going through the motions with the Championship already wrapped up. Bring on next year and a fresh start – hopefully someone will be able to challenge Vettel. I don’t like to see a driver retire from a race but I was delighted to not hear “Look at the lead Vettel has built up already!” on lap 2!!

15. Kamui Fan (@kamui-fan) said on 13th November 2011, 15:55

Good race 7/10

Brilliant drives from Lewis and Fernando!
    KAMUI SCORED POINT!!! WOOHOOO